Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Dunno how it works at Newcastle but if the All or Nothing documentaries are anything to go by, they'll have been warned of the risks and the Howe and Murphy will have made the decision 

100% believe that. My uninformed guess is Jacob wanted to play and the medical team indicated it *might* be ok.

Bad decision in hindsight but that shite is always 20/20.

42 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dunno how it works at Newcastle but if the All or Nothing documentaries are anything to go by, they'll have been warned of the risks and the Howe and Murphy will have made the decision 

In the post match Howe said Murphy came to see him and they had various discussions with the medical team, putting him back in was a risk but it was a risk he was prepared to take and the medical team were prepared to take 

He further said that they potentially knew it could dislocate again, so now he'll get an operation but there was also a chance he could get through it and continue to play

Guess with the bodies we are short on, I get why they took the risk. The recovery period I suspect is the same so they were probably hoping they could get a few games out of him

From experience, once it happens it'll keep happening. Was amazed be played so soon.

I had mine surgically repaired and, while have lost some motion, haven't had another dislocation. Still it's very hard physically and mentally to overcome. 

Best of luck Murphy

Gutted for the lad. Offers us something different with his pace and directness. One of our only players who tries the early ball/cross from wide and all. Throwback to a more traditional winger. 

Leaves us really light in the wide areas, too. Which in turn, makes our midfield lighter. As one of the Joes will have to cover out wide at some point in the next few weeks/months. 

6 hours ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

From experience, once it happens it'll keep happening. Was amazed be played so soon.

I had mine surgically repaired and, while have lost some motion, haven't had another dislocation. Still it's very hard physically and mentally to overcome. 

Best of luck Murphy

It will only keep on happening if not treated correctly. Once it’s healed there’s no increased risk.

Can only assume he was going to get surgery anyway and he just told the boss he’d play if he could until it pops out again and lo and behold it did. 

Edited by Kanji

30 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Can only assume he was going to get surgery anyway and he just told the boss he’d play if he could until it pops out again and lo and behold it did. 

Without knowing the details, I'd guess this is it. Probably the same recovery time for him whether they risked it dislocating again or played conservatively, so logically they spun the wheel.

If it was Bruce or Souness or someone we'd be fully entitled to assume the worst, but there's no serious evidence for that in this case.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

It will only keep on happening if not treated correctly. Once it’s healed there’s no increased risk.

Once it's dislocated it'll always have weakness even after repair, and especially after non-surgical repair. You have an increased risk of it happening again if it happens once, no getting away from it. If you get it back in quick it helps loads though.

Even with surgery, I had arthroscopic surgery so have a big hole in my shoulder which is still a risk for many things.

Dislocations are nasty. I'd rather a break than a dislocation. Still I'm sure he's getting top class treatment and will recover near fully.

26 minutes ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

Once it's dislocated it'll always have weakness even after repair, and especially after non-surgical repair. You have an increased risk of it happening again if it happens once, no getting away from it. If you get it back in quick it helps loads though.

Even with surgery, I had arthroscopic surgery so have a big hole in my shoulder which is still a risk for many things.

Dislocations are nasty. I'd rather a break than a dislocation. Still I'm sure he's getting top class treatment and will recover near fully.

I’ve dislocated various joints numerous times, some on a daily basis, but it’s purely because of my condition. I’ve spoken to loads of consultants and they all say when properly healed there’s no increased risk. Obviously your situation is different, given the surgery you’ve had. I’m just recovering from similar elbow surgery my self.

letting Murphy play, without it being properly healed was absolute madness.

9 hours ago, Shearergol said:

I’ve dislocated various joints numerous times, some on a daily basis, but it’s purely because of my condition. I’ve spoken to loads of consultants and they all say when properly healed there’s no increased risk. Obviously your situation is different, given the surgery you’ve had. I’m just recovering from similar elbow surgery my self.

letting Murphy play, without it being properly healed was absolute madness.

Fair enough ? I think also depends on the situation. Working in an office etc, fine, elite contact sport, less so...