Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

He is better against bigger teams or high lines. Same as several other players. He's not the one to break down a defence with a pass. He needs to be chasing long balls into space and having no time to think before belting it in. 

1 minute ago, mofo said:

He's not good enough for where we need to be but his form isn't as bad as some of our other players.

The bit about form is the problem with the squad, though. 

Sort of similar to what @Heron was saying the other day regarding player ratings. Murphy in form and playing to the best of his abilities. Is still not as good as say, Gordon out of form. 

All teams are to a point. But we are heavily reliant on a few top players always being on their game for us to perform well. Especially in an attacking sense. They have an off day or just a bit below their usual levels and we struggle. 

We just have too many squad/back up type players still getting regular minutes due to the lack of depth at certain positions. 

Think my issue with Murphy is the message it sends to our purples, someone else pointed out its 3 years of him starting games under PIF, as a standard setter its not great optics for the lads who could win things in other teams, thats the worry for me, plenty have mentioned, Howe included, what a great character he is, aye spot on but that wont help move us to the level we all hope for.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Easy to scapegoat when we lose and Almiron and Longstaff aren't there to blame. The truth is that our star boys are more deserving of flack for their shocking finishing than anyone, but won't be.

You're right. I even think Bruno has been pretty poor this season personally but he seems to go unscathed every week.

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

You're right. I even think Bruno has been pretty poor this season personally but he seems to go unscathed every week.

Easy to say, but Isak and especially Gordon have their shooting boots on in the last 2 matches and we're all loving life and have very few issues with how we're playing imo. If you draw or lose it's natural to start looking deeper than poor finishing, but at the moment that's all I see it as.

Agree about Bruno but I thought he was good against Everton and better again yesterday, especially first half.

We lost 0-1 to Brighton under Rafa six years ago today and Murphy wasn't even summoned off the bench, I find that a bit mind-blowing like. Twelve transfer windows, two managers and a highly progressive takeover later and he's now starting for us in the same fixture.

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Murphy in form and playing to the best of his abilities. Is still not as good as say, Gordon out of form

None of us want Murphy starting but this is way over the top. An out of form Gordon is largely ineffective and has looked disinterested as a result. Murphy at his best is lively and productive. The frustration is the glaring lack of consistency in his game

55 minutes ago, Holloway said:

None of us want Murphy starting but this is way over the top. An out of form Gordon is largely ineffective and has looked disinterested as a result. Murphy at his best is lively and productive. The frustration is the glaring lack of consistency in his game

Maybe a bad example. As Murphy does actually contribute with goals and assists when on song. 

I suppose my point is. We have a lot of players who have played above their level for a while and are now just back to their base level and not really contributing much.

So then on top of that. When our actual elite or close to world class level players are below par. The whole team suffers as a result. Again, the attacking areas in particular. We aren’t exactly creative at the best of times. So if any or all of Isak, Gordon and Bruno are off it. Then forget about it. Barnes, too. Although he’s usually on the bench….. 

5 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Maybe a bad example. As Murphy does actually contribute with goals and assists when on song. 

I suppose my point is. We have a lot of players who have played above their level for a while and are now just back to their base level and not really contributing much.

So then on top of that. When our actual elite or close to world class level players are below par. The whole team suffers as a result. Again, the attacking areas in particular. We aren’t exactly creative at the best of times. So if any or all of Isak, Gordon and Bruno are off it. Then forget about it. Barnes, too. Although he’s usually on the bench….. 

“Jacob has been here since July 2017, that's 7 seasons with 11 Premier League goals and 18 assists for a £12.5m fee and approx £35,000 per week. It's time to upgrade and for him to get a move somewhere he will play more regularly perhaps”

From Magpie 24/7

Let’s see what January brings! 

3 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

“Jacob has been here since July 2017, that's 7 seasons with 11 Premier League goals and 18 assists for a £12.5m fee and approx £35,000 per week. It's time to upgrade and for him to get a move somewhere he will play more regularly perhaps”

From Magpie 24/7

Let’s see what January brings! 

So he is not on song very often? :lol: he has put in good performances under Howe, though and does actually get involved with creating chances and the odd goal or assist.

But he is also woefully ineffective most of the time. The same as the other option we have on the right.

No arguments that we need to strengthen RW as a priority. I think everyone bar the club have seen this as our biggest need for years. 

11 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Aye, the gap in quality is very much evident. I hope we get the chance to close it