Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Sad to say it but he's showed nothing at all to suggest he can cut it at this level so far. I know he's been limited to short cameos but we've actually looked worse when he's came on. Even in the limited time he's had you would still expect a glimpse of potential, like a run, shot or decent cross but all he's done so far is give the ball away resulting in more pressure on us.

He looks absolutely terrified whenever he comes onto the pitch, looking at his face prior to his introduction Saturday he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

I'm not writing him off yet and hope the 'fans' don't give him too much abuse as we all know that will just destroy him. Saying that we need players who can provide something week in week out and actually make a difference and he looks a million miles from doing that right now.

A January loan move might sound ridiculous as he was our biggest outlay in the summer but he needs something to rebuild some confidence and we can't afford to give him a run in the team based on what he's offered so far.

I heard the odd groan when he ran straight into the full back for the 3rd time in 2 minutes, but that's about it.

What we supposed to do, applaud his efforts or sit there in silence? It was the 88th minute of a very frustrating match, of course people are going to have a little whinge.

There's a big difference between groans and a significant percentage of the crowd shouting and balling at him, which is what happened when it looked like he wasn't chasing after the ball. If you think that's fine and he should just deal with it or fuck off then that's fine, that's not my opinion but whatever.

It's pathetic to accuse me of lying about it though, but what you'd expect from Wallsendmag now he's not calling the crowd mugs for turning up.

Personally I think it was a poor decision from Rafa to put him on the pitch, the atmosphere was already tense because of the way that the game was playing out and Bournmouth were starting to get on top!

Murphy really looked like the classic rabbit in the headlamps, especially when he lost the ball with his first touch and didn't even make an effort to try to recover.  His next touch was when the ball was played to him with him in space on our left, he went to take on a Bournmouth player and immediately lost the ball, again he stood on the spot and made no attempt to get in front of the attacking player.

I really feel for him and as many have said in this thread, he is not going to have the luxury to have time to establish himself in this league at this level in a team like ours where we need to fight for everything.  We need 11 fully committed players who are prepared to throw their bodies on the line in order to preserve our Premier League position, I do not doubt his commitment as a footballer but, I do doubt his spirit.  He really is not ready.  Atsu was doing fine on the left before he was taken off the field.  The "tactical" change that we made would really have been better to add some bite into the middle of the field, yes Mitro would have been my choice....  Not because he is amazing but, I think he would have shaken things up and given the Bournmouth team something to think about.

There's a big difference between groans and a significant percentage of the crowd shouting and balling at him, which is what happened when it looked like he wasn't chasing after the ball. If you think that's fine and he should just deal with it or f*** off then that's fine, that's not my opinion but whatever.

It's pathetic to accuse me of lying about it though, but what you'd expect from Wallsendmag now he's not calling the crowd mugs for turning up.

:lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

From what I could hear on the legal stream I was watching, the crowd or parts of it were clearly angry with some aspects of his performance and loudly so. He lost the ball constantly and didn't get stuck back in to try and make up for his mistakes and that drew angry reactions.

He's been very poor so far but you can clearly see his confidence is shot to pieces. Rafa himself has made the point a fair few times that the crowd needs to try to get behind our players and help build their confidence rather than shatter it. That might be a pretty big ask when he's showing precious little to get behind so far though.

I didn't boo him nor I noticed the booing, but I can understand why the crowd would do so if any player didn't run his socks off as a substitute, and especially when the player still has a lot of things to prove on the pitch.

Seriously, if you are introduced at 85mins, there is just max 10 mins left, as a professional player who has lots of things to prove, what would you do?  I will run till the last second.

Guest Howaythetoon

I had high hopes for the kid, well, I thought he would do OK put it that way. Perhaps the step up is too much at this stage. We cannot start writing him off though. He's got talent, but again, in Jan, I'd load him out.

From what I could hear on the legal stream I was watching, the crowd or parts of it were clearly angry with some aspects of his performance and loudly so. He lost the ball constantly and didn't get stuck back in to try and make up for his mistakes and that drew angry reactions.

He wasn't getting booed like. Never heard anyone booing him inthe Gallowgate and someone further up the thread who sits in the East Stand never heard any booing either. There were audible groans when he kept losing the ball easily but to suggest he was getting booed or abuse off the fans is just wrong.

Guest Howaythetoon

A few times he lost the ball down the flank and made very little effort to get back into any kind of position to help the team shape or to put pressure on anyone and that really annoys me because its basic stuff. There is no excuse. Mind booing the kid isn't on, booing any player or performance isn't on. This may be an average side and even poor in parts, but the players deserve our support because they took us up and are fighting every way to keep us up. Its gonna be hard and ugly at times, but like Rafa says, we just need to stay with them. We are after all in this together.

Guest Howaythetoon

He wasn't getting booed like. Never heard anyone booing him inthe Gallowgate and someone further up the thread who sits in the East Stand never heard any booing either. There were audible groans when he kept losing the ball easily but to suggest he was getting booed or abuse off the fans is just wrong.

I wasn't there so can't verify any booing, there was clear anger and audible groans though and remonstrations from fans. The phrase abuse, I'd say would be the correct choice.

This was my take from the Leazes.

He looks as weak as piss.

I wasn't there so can't verify any booing, there was clear anger and audible groans though and remonstrations from fans.

Audible groans, definitely,  but when a player is so poor and is just constantly giving the opposition the ball back towards the end of a tight game, it's always going to happen.

Was a bad call to bring him on given how poor he's looked on the few occasions we've seen him play.

So far I haven't seen this guy do a single thing of quality - pass, run, dribble, shoot, win the ball, cross. I've no doubt he has the ability to do at least some of those things well, otherwise Rafa wouldn't have signed him, but he just looks like he's constantly shitting himself. The crowd starting to get on his back won't help but that isn't going to get any better until he starts showing a glimmer of ability. Maybe the move was just too big for him.

I didn't expect him to be a world beater but I've been genuinely shocked at how bad a footballer he actually is.

I was at the Forest match where he played the full 120 minutes against a Championship team and couldn't believe how so out of his depth he looked, even against a lower League opponent. You'd think he'd never played football before.

Not sure what to do with him tbh. Loan him back to a Championship team in January perhaps and hopefully he can find some form and confidence?

Guest Howaythetoon

I didn't expect him to be a world beater but I've been genuinely shocked at how bad a footballer he actually is.

I was at the Forest match where he played the full 120 minutes against a Championship team and couldn't believe how so out of his depth he looked, even against a lower League opponent. You'd think he'd never played football before.

Not sure what to do with him tbh. Loan him back to a Championship team in January perhaps and hopefully he can find some form and confidence?

I'm not one for players having to be big and strong, but he really does look weak and in this league especially, you need to be strong. You don't have to be a big fuck of physical specimen, but you simply cannot be weak and that's what he is when faced against an opponent. Weak on the ball, weak off it and weak in duels.

I think its mainly down to confidence, mentality and having to step up rather than lack of ability. He cost a lot of money, is a supporter and is a young kid and it shows when he's on the pitch. Playing 10 minute cameos cannot help, however.

A loan would be a good move for him, at Norwich he was laying every week and expectations were low and he flourished to the point he caught Rafa's attention and got a dream move if you like to us.

Back to mentality for a moment... look at how well Lascelles has dealt with his move to the club and the step up he has made, performance wise and character wise. He's the captain and is leading by example.

Murphy needs to toughen up mentally otherwise this dream move will not work out. He visibly shrunk when he lost the ball and hid away, that's not a good sign.

I'm just glad I wrapped in my season ticket so I'm not part of it anymore.

So am I. Atmosphere is so much more positive this season which Rafa and the players have commented on numerous times. Lots of the whingers seem to have chucked it and been replaced by more supportive people. Hopefully it's a continuing trend.