Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

It always happens. People judge players on what they see. And Manquillo was shite at left back. He was thrown into the team, out of position, and did his best. And we discovered he wasn't a left back. But in his few appearances at right back he always looked at least semi-decent. Now that he is settling in he is gaining in confidence. His assist for Perez, against Watford last season, should have opened some people's eyes, but people wear blinkers when they've nailed their colours to the mast. He'll be first choice RWB, next season as he is much more rounded than Yedlin. And Spanish. And I have no problem with Rafa picking people who are Spanish. It makes perfect sense to me that people attain higher levels of success when they work with culturally similar people.

I honestly think he's another who will overcome this, and become a fan's favourite. Don't think he'll set the world alight, but he'll probably reach Atsu levels of appreciation. Although he has more end product than Atsu.

It always happens. People judge players on what they see. And Manquillo was shite at left back. He was thrown into the team, out of position, and did his best. And we discovered he wasn't a left back. But in his few appearances at right back he always looked at least semi-decent. Now that he is settling in he is gaining in confidence. His assist for Perez, against Watford last season, should have opened some people's eyes, but people wear blinkers when they've nailed their colours to the mast. He'll be first choice RWB, next season as he is much more rounded than Yedlin. And Spanish. And I have no problem with Rafa picking people who are Spanish. It makes perfect sense to me that people attain higher levels of success when they work with culturally similar people.

I honestly think he's another who will overcome this, and become a fan's favourite. Don't think he'll set the world alight, but he'll probably reach Atsu levels of appreciation. Although he has more end product than Atsu.

Strange post.

Is Atsu a fan's favourite now? I must have missed that. Still think he's largely bobbins.

Is Atsu a fan's favourite now? I must have missed that. Still think he's largely bobbins.

They're all my favourites now.

They're all my favourites now.

:lol:

It's a reasonable comparison with Atsu tbf. I defended Manquillo quite a lot on this thread basically because he did look a technically competent player, carrying the ball reasonably well, and wasn't making glaring errors defensively. The main issue was he wasn't doing either job particularly well either. Him and Atsu look like they should be capable of a lot more, but probably don't have the confidence to produce it.

• 1 month later...