Mikel Merino (now playing for Real Sociedad)

Disco

Personally think this is paper bullshit, he lost he place through injury and unfortunately for him Shelvey and Diame were brilliant. Nowt to see imo, if he doesn't dislodge one of them next season maybe, but i think he'll be here next season from the start anyhoo.

Chron:

United do not want to sell Merino but their hand may be forced by circumstances this summer, with Merino keen to play and having found life tough in the second half of his debut Premier League campaign.

If Benitez can persuade him to stay he will hope to see him improve and adapt next year. But contractual clauses may mean Newcastle have no choice but to cash in on the midfielder if stipulations are met – which would leave the club with a headache over who to sign to replace him

Wonder what contractual clauses they would be

Selling him already would be mental. I mean if he's willing to give up so easily and won't compete for a place in the team then fine but that scenario would be very disappointing and I don't think I believe it.

No way I would sell him tbh. He'd surely not be on that much money to free up that much of the wage budget....

A potential star and someone surely everyone would happily have in our squad?

Very weird - all I can think of is that he's homesick.

Could be tbf, on his insta he's back in Pamplona at every opportunity

Dortmund are a bit better than us. :lol:

I mean Diame was amazing in the latter part of the season but if Merino doesn't see himself getting ahead of him any time soon then that's a pretty crazy state of mind.

Especially given his injury. A more likely scenario is that he hasn't settled and wants to go back to Spain.

Or Spanish media bullshit. Perez is often linked away too but we know he's happy.

Dortmund are a bit better than us. :lol:

I mean Diame was amazing in the latter part of the season but if Merino doesn't see himself getting ahead of him any time soon then that's a pretty crazy state of mind.

Athletic Bilbao are a pretty big club as well though, probably similar to us and near his home. He needs to play football regularly whether here or elsewhere anyway for his own sake. He does have weaknesses in his game, generally more to do with his concentration than anything else but the ability is definitely there so I hope he stays

Why are you guys surprised? He even couldn't make the bench now. Why would he stay? Would you if you are in his situation? Even Hayden is preferred?

Poor handling by Rafa imo.

It's a shame, but if a player isn't starting regularly then it's always likely they will get itchy feet, and it's been ages since he was a first team regular.

Guest chopey

Eh !!! I thought he loved going for walks on the quayside with his mother, can he not just do that on a loop for the next five years?

Why are you guys surprised? He even couldn't make the bench now. Why would he stay? Would you if you are in his situation? Even Hayden is preferred?

Poor handling by Rafa imo.

:lol:

Guest firetotheworks

He'd be really daft to go for football reasons, like. It would be very surprising if Diame's form wasn't just an Indian summer and he's got plenty of time and plenty of room for improvement.

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, and Perch. I'd like to think that this is just who Diame is now, but I'd be really surprised if it lasted all of next season.

Personally I would have liked him to have more time on the pitch second half of the season but understand why it was hard for Rafa to give him that considering how good Shelvey and Diame were. Still think he should have gotten way more time after we secured our spot in the PL. He oozes class and is the future of our midfield. 1 or 2 failures to track back that resulted in goals isn't good enough reason for me to assume he doesn't have what it takes. Got no clue how some people doubt his ability. Probably our most technically skilled player, good engine, smart, good passer. Hope Rafa figures out how to include him and Shelvey in the same starting line up so it's not either or.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I'd love him to stay. i'm still not convinced by Shelvey's consistency, let alone Diame's