Mikel Merino

Disco

Im not too bothered about losing Merino.

He had a few good games early on then seemed to dwindle off, and on a few occasions his tracking back to do anything considred grafting cost us goals in a few games. He basically had a good start hence why he signed, but fell below Rafas standards, and behind Shelvey and Diame who both work harder when not in possession. Guess he might think he should be selected no matter what? Good luck to him

Im not too bothered about losing Merino.

He had a few good games early on then seemed to dwindle off, and on a few occasions his tracking back to do anything considred grafting cost us goals in a few games. He basically had a good start hence why he signed, but fell below Rafas standards, and behind Shelvey and Diame who both work harder when not in possession. Guess he might think he should be selected no matter what? Good luck to him

We will need to replace him though, with equal quality because Hayden is not Pl quality

Not sure how many games Hayden got last season to justify him not being PL quality, but I do agree Merino should be replaced, Jack Colback was far worse than Hayden and will have miles more PL games to his name. I hear what you are saying though, we need quality, lets hope Rafa starts the negotiating this week.

So he has a clause in his contract for a £10.5m fee? Someone will be getting a good player for that, he'd have been worth a lot more after a second season in the Premier.

So he has a clause in his contract for a £10.5m fee? Someone will be getting a good player for that, he'd have been worth a lot more after a second season in the Premier.

Where's that guy with the barber-shop sig :lol:

Chris Waugh from the Chronic reckons Thiago Maia or Badou Ndiaye most likely replacements.

Don't think anyone has a clue currently though.

If its true in the other thread regarding the £50m due mid-July to trigger spending then we'll be leaving it too late imo.

Guest chopey

Surprised Pardew didn't do Mike a favour and put him on his gumtree page with his spare cravats and blood red chinos

Chris Waugh from the Chronic reckons Thiago Maia or Badou Ndiaye most likely replacements.

Don't think anyone has a clue currently though.

If its true in the other thread regarding the £50m due mid-July to trigger spending then we'll be leaving it too late imo.

I don't understand. It's important for a club to keep its "powder dry," so we can pounce on our targets in January. But then everyone knows that window is too overpriced, so best wait until following summer. Keep the faith. Wait.

Hugo Viana 2.

He’ll go on to have a good career in Spain or maybe even Portugal. Won’t play in this league again if he wants away so soon.

Wish the snowflake all the best!

Hugo Viana 2.

He’ll go on to have a good career in Spain or maybe even Portugal. Won’t play in this league again if he wants away so soon.

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Hugo Viana 2.

112013c2cc1971188a5044171d8990aa.gif

If he had any backbone at all he’d be making every effort to play and adjust his game to what Rafa needs and to keep his place in the side.

Once Shelvey nailed his place, he threw in he towel.

Didn’t even attempt to change the coaches mind.

How would that be useful to us this season to have someone very happy not to be starting games.

My words are out of disappointment. He has bundles of potential if he had the right mindset.

If he had any backbone at all he’d be making every effort to play and adjust his game to what Rafa needs and to keep his place in the side.

Once Shelvey nailed his place, he threw in he towel.

Didn’t even attempt to change the coaches mind.

How would that be useful to us this season to have someone very happy not to be starting games.

My words are out of disappointment. He has bundles of potential if he had the right mindset.

This is all made up in your head. I mean, it could be true I suppose but unless you are Merino then you don't actually know.

Hugo Viana 2.

To be fair if your mind set as a Footballer is to put a low release clause in every contract.  So you can make a easy escape if things don't work out, then you've got the wrong mentality to succeed.  At the end of the day I trust the manager.

Hugo Viana 2.

To be fair if your mind set as a Footballer is to put a low release clause in every contract.  So you can make a easy escape if things don't work out, then you've got the wrong mentality to succeed.  At the end of the day I trust the manager.

To be fair, he signed for us because he didn't want to be on Dortmund's bench any more, and was wary of not starting for us. And sure enough, that's how it turned out. So it turns out he's more a player who chucks his toys out of the pram when he's not starting. The problem is, he's not a "starting in the PL under Benitez" level player yet, so if he wants to start, then he can start for someone else.

Of course, a sneaky future fee clause would be a good idea, because if he does get a starting position, and blossoms like many think he might, then he'll be worth a canny wedge in the future...

Hugo Viana 2.

To be fair, he signed for us because he didn't want to be on Dortmund's bench any more, and was wary of not starting for us. And sure enough, that's how it turned out. So it turns out he's more a player who chucks his toys out of the pram when he's not starting. The problem is, he's not a "starting in the PL under Benitez" level player yet, so if he wants to start, then he can start for someone else.

Of course, a sneaky future fee clause would be a good idea, because if he does get a starting position, and blossoms like many think he might, then he'll be worth a canny wedge in the future...

A future fee clause would be good for us but assuming the buying club have even a small level of competence it's a non-starter due to the low release clause.

In an ideal world we'd maybe persuade him to go on loan for a season and get some game time under his belt. Unfortunately we seem to be fumbling down the back of the sofa for transfer funds again and every penny counts.

Seems to be the case. Rafa has replaced him for free and brought in 10-12m. That’s the Sturaro fee or the guts of it sorted out.

Btw, I’m not sure this lad would be suited to PL either. Has a tendency to lose the ball due to his lack of size, then goes jumping in. Refs here won’t stand for that. He’ll find this league tough.

Playing for Juve doesn’t mean shite any more. He came on as a sub a lot in this years CL. Kept an eye out but didn’t seem to make much impact.

Who's this Sturaro I keep reading about in various threads? Have I missed something?

Strenuously linked with him past week. Juve fans hate him and have been celebrating the fact that he's potentially going. He's a bit of a midfield destroyer tbh, Allegri tends to play him in low-key Coppa Italia games and brings him on to close games out. Not a great footballer though. But radge as well, told a 12 year old Napoli fan who was commenting hate on his Instagram that he was fucking his mam basically.

Seems to be the case. Rafa has replaced him for free and brought in 10-12m. That’s the Sturaro fee or the guts of it sorted out.

Btw, I’m not sure this lad would be suited to PL either. Has a tendency to lose the ball due to his lack of size, then goes jumping in. Refs here won’t stand for that. He’ll find this league tough.

Playing for Juve doesn’t mean shite any more. He came on as a sub a lot in this years CL. Kept an eye out but didn’t seem to make much impact.

He's 6'2 :lol:

But still I'm very curious about the circumstances. If he doesn't think he's capable of competing with or ousting Diame from the starting XI I'm not sure he's up to it at all. Crying shame as he could develop into a monster of a midfielder.

I think the injuries he got hampered him a lot. Didn't he have to go through a lengthy treatment of his back?

He didn't look as sharp when he came back and it's possible that the back was still causing problems for him.

I agree that something seemed to happen with Merino when he got injured. Before that, it was looking like we'd signed Kante Mk. II. Wasn't he leading the league in a ball-winning stat? He looked superhumanly strong on the ball.

After the injury, it sounds like there was some falling out between club and player, and whether that's true or not, his performances have not been the same since. He hasn't looked like someone you would play over Hayden. Maybe his head has just gone for us, so we'll not see the same player from those first eight games. That player was certainly one to hang onto.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’d be sad to see him go, this is a strange one because he seems to have settled here and on form is probably our best player, certainly the most gifted. I had high hopes for him this coming season. It seems a rather low price as well.