Mikel Merino

Disco

Definitely has something to work with, but is not inclined to work himself back into the team like Diame did. All things considered, the only factor that makes it a poorish outgoing is the low transfer fee.

Gonna be a very good player, just not prepared to stick it out here so that's that. At least Ki is battle hardened to the PL so that means he'll be good to go this season.

We'll regret this big time. Not had a genuine CM talent like him for ages.

How can NUFC regret it? Merino insisted on the low release clause as a condition of signing. If he'd been a great success another club would have heard about the low release clause (from Merino's agent) and he'd have been away anyway.

Merino got a back injury (he described it as the worst injury of his career) and he was then out the side. I'm sure NUFC would have liked to keep him but he wants to be starting games. That isn't necessarily compatible with a newly promoted Premiership club fighting to stay up. He was new to the Premiership and his centre midfield rivals were bang in form. Rafa was the person not picking him. Merino didn't play much for NUFC or Dortmund. He wants to go somewhere he'll be an automatic starter.

Lacking something in my mind. Not going to get myself upset at players who've done nowt in their careers thinking their above fighting for their place here. Shelvey and Diame ahead of him on merit. Was up to him to dislodge that.

When I saw him at the start of the year at Newcastle Airport he looked miserable. Maybe the fact I didn't gush over him, despite eye contact, caused him to dislike the place. Blame me, lads. Sorry.

vGmfmZx.gif

Frustrating, there's a player in there. Understand moving him on, he clearly didn't settle but that's a pathetic fee/RC in this market, barely gets you a half-decent championship player these days. Whole deal has been useless business all-round.

Ki is a decent player but he is a downgrade imho. And he's 29, not much scope for improvement. I hoped we at least replace him with anotehr promising signing

Agreed - there is no doubting his ability - looked class above on him day.  Just was kept out but the good form of Diame.

Im pretty sure its a case of not settling here more than not playing...there were rumours he wanted to go back to Spain in January when he hadnt been sitting on the bench much.

The guy seemingly wants to eb a guaranteed starter each week, but the injury lost him his place, and Diame turned not a phenom.

Can understand him not wanting to continue to wait. Teams in Spain are likely promising him a starting place.

It's like Didi Hamann all over again. Still hurts. At least he isn't staying in the premiership.

Interesting to see if we are bringing in a DM. Ki is more like Shelvey or better in the number 8/10 spot from most accounts. Considering Saviet and Colback are surely done we don't really have a DM on our books other than Diame. Maybe Sangare might step up but that is asking alot.

I'm gutted to see him go as I think he is a top drawer player but if he doesn't want to be here learning under Rafa then fuck him!

He surely couldn't have expected to get in the team this year with the form of Shelvey and Diame?!

Not impressed by Merino. He had a good little spell at the beginning of the season. Didn't look interested when he came on as a sub, and apparently he doesn't want to fight for a starting place in the team. Thank you and goodbye :razz: