Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 @ 1.30pm (Sky Sports)

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Before anything I will say, think we'll get beat this weekend. But the thing is all these pundits paid little to no attention to us last year, so their view on our squad is based on what the players did the last time they paid any attention:

Clark  - He was a bag a s**** at Villa, according to them, Newcastle are relying on him to be their main CB, they are screwed.

LeJuene - Failed at Man City, bargain basement signing, not going to be any good.

Manquillo - Awful at the worst club in the division last year.

Ritchie - Was OK at Bournemouth but they let him go to a Championship team last season and still had a decent season without him.

Atsu - Was crap at Everton, failed at Chelsea.

Shelvey - A lot of promise that never materialised in stints at Liverpool and Swansea, was ineffective in trying to keep Newcastle up.

Hayden - Never heard of him, he's a failed Arsenal youth player.

Gayle - Couldn't get into the Palace team, he's their main striker, wtf.

The truth is though, if they had watched us last season, a lot of these players have improved immensely under Rafa, it's good to be a little under the radar and keep these perceptions going for now, because if they for example dismiss Shelvey as a threat and give him the space he was afforded against Verona or Bradford, he'll have a field day.

Spuds though are a class above us for sure, no point in disguising that, it's amazing that our last PL game was against them and we thrashed them. Lighting isn't going to strike twice, just hope we don't get embarrassed or not turn up, like the Fulham game last year.

Improved or played in a lower division? That's where some of our fans need to think twice before getting ahead of themselves.

Opener at home against a quality side, first game back in the Premier League and a lot of players that aren't experienced at this level. I think we will look very nervous in this one, at least for the first 30 minutes. We'll work hard but I can see a lot of misplaced passes early on, as well as players struggling to stay with the tactics that was planned beforehand. I can see us growing in to the game as the game goes on, unless we concede a couple of goals early on. Excited about the game but I'm starting to feel a bit nervous already when I think about it :lol:

Opener at home against a quality side, first game back in the Premier League and a lot of players that aren't experienced at this level. I think we will look very nervous in this one, at least for the first 30 minutes. We'll work hard but I can see a lot of misplaced passes early on, as well as players struggling to stay with the tactics that was planned beforehand. I can see us growing in to the game as the game goes on, unless we concede a couple of goals early on. Excited about the game but I'm starting to feel a bit nervous already when I think about it :lol:

Think it's a good opening game to have; be able to see right where this team is. You going, Ikon?

Think it's a good opening game to have; be able to see right where this team is. You going, Ikon?

I wish i was going. I live in Sweden, but i'll definitely try to go once this season at least.

I wish i was going. I live in Sweden, but i'll definitely try to go once this season at least.

Ah right, didn't know you were based over there. I'd get in early for tickets when you try and go mind, can see almost all of our home games this season selling out!

Before anything I will say, think we'll get beat this weekend. But the thing is all these pundits paid little to no attention to us last year, so their view on our squad is based on what the players did the last time they paid any attention:

Clark  - He was a bag a s**** at Villa, according to them, Newcastle are relying on him to be their main CB, they are screwed.

LeJuene - Failed at Man City, bargain basement signing, not going to be any good.

Ritchie - Was OK at Bournemouth but they let him go to a Championship team last season and still had a decent season without him.

Shelvey - A lot of promise that never materialised in stints at Liverpool and Swansea, was ineffective in trying to keep Newcastle up.

The truth is though, if they had watched us last season, a lot of these players have improved immensely under Rafa, it's good to be a little under the radar and keep these perceptions going for now, because if they for example dismiss Shelvey as a threat and give him the space he was afforded against Verona or Bradford, he'll have a field day.

Spuds though are a class above us for sure, no point in disguising that, it's amazing that our last PL game was against them and we thrashed them. Lighting isn't going to strike twice, just hope we don't get embarrassed or not turn up, like the Fulham game last year.

Improved or played in a lower division? That's where some of our fans need to think twice before getting ahead of themselves.

Exactly!

Merson's Tottenham prediction: 'Could be a cricket score'

He gives a weekly prediction to every top flight game on Sky Sports. Does he think Newcastle will beat Tottenham? He predicts:

Newcastle simply haven’t signed enough players. Rafa Benitez has managed at the top of European football and I’m sure he doesn’t have plans to stay in the Premier League by the skin of his teeth following promotion.

I can see this whole affair at Newcastle coming to an end soon if Rafa continues not to be backed in the transfer market. They haven’t spent enough and if it wasn’t for the fans I’d tip them to go down.

Spurs are as good as anybody in the league and against a Newcastle side, who will have to attack in front of their own fans, this could be a cricket score.

PAUL PREDICTS: 0-3

:lol:

Lawro: Newcastle v Tottenham (13:30 BST)

Tottenham's great problem this year will be Wembley because it will be like playing away from home every week.

Spurs were beaten 5-1 at St James' Park on the last day of the 2015-16 season after they had missed out on the title and Newcastle had been relegated.

It is good to see a club like Newcastle back in the top flight, but I am expecting a very different outcome this time.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Merson's Tottenham prediction: 'Could be a cricket score'

He gives a weekly prediction to every top flight game on Sky Sports. Does he think Newcastle will beat Tottenham? He predicts:

Newcastle simply haven’t signed enough players. Rafa Benitez has managed at the top of European football and I’m sure he doesn’t have plans to stay in the Premier League by the skin of his teeth following promotion.

I can see this whole affair at Newcastle coming to an end soon if Rafa continues not to be backed in the transfer market. They haven’t spent enough and if it wasn’t for the fans I’d tip them to go down.

Spurs are as good as anybody in the league and against a Newcastle side, who will have to attack in front of their own fans, this could be a cricket score.

PAUL PREDICTS: 0-3

:lol:

Lawro: Newcastle v Tottenham (13:30 BST)

Tottenham's great problem this year will be Wembley because it will be like playing away from home every week.

Spurs were beaten 5-1 at St James' Park on the last day of the 2015-16 season after they had missed out on the title and Newcastle had been relegated.

It is good to see a club like Newcastle back in the top flight, but I am expecting a very different outcome this time.

Lawro's prediction: 0-2

Brendan Foster has predicted us to win 5-0 :lol:

Guest neesy111

Not sure what Lawro has said wrong there, to be honest.

He hasn't said much that's the issue, half of it is just stating facts etc.

Probably somewhere in the middle. He's definitely got a point about the perception of our players though, it's obvious as fuck from the various season predictions that the pundits don't have a clue about us. They don't even have a clue about what the fans 'expect', over 20 years since we were truly good.

Most pundits don't have a clue in general and hardly watch the games at all, it's not just us in all fairness. They'll catch a few highlight clips, say a few outlandish things and call it a day.

I wouldn't have a problem with the average bloke doing this but when it's your job i'd expect a little more professionalism, i guess that's too much to ask.

It's going to be fascinating to see how we do in this game.  Rafa will have a plan sussed no doubt about it, think we'll play well but just lose

FWIW the Mackems took a point off them at home

WTF man. Who is getting ahead of himself  ? Are you suggesting that Rafa influence on the players is non existent ? Then why are we all clamouring for him to not leave ? Are you seriously telling me that Clark is not a better player now than he was before he joined us ? Or that Shelvey is still the same player he was when he left Swansea ? The point I was making was that these so called pundits know fuck all about our squad and are basing their views on their hazy memories of a year or two, because they live in a PL bubble, they may be proved right in the end and these players never improved but they are talking from positions of no education.

Stop with the considending shit and use some reading comprehension before mouthing off next time.

WTF man. Who is getting ahead of himself  ? Are you suggesting that Rafa influence on the players is non existent ? Then why are we all clamouring for him to not leave ? Are you seriously telling me that Clark is not a better player now than he was before he joined us ? Or that Shelvey is still the same player he was when he left Swansea ? The point I was making was that these so called pundits know f*** all about our squad and are basing their views on their hazy memories of a year or two, because they live in a PL bubble, they may be proved right in the end and these players never improved but they are talking from positions of no education.

Stop with the considending s*** and use some reading comprehension before mouthing off next time.

Well done with the stringent defence of your little point. Condescending: that's how to be it; that's how to spell it. (Joke, btw. Couldn't resist).