Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 13/08/17 (post-match from p28)

Kaizero

The commentator was a right sarcy cunt, like. That comment about Sissoko was baffling - I thought everyone agreed that he's a fucking dick? Weird, weird stick to beat Newcastle fans with, that one. Then some comment about the singing section; "heh, guess they must've lost their voice." :lol: Eh? Off you fuck you utter melt.

The commentator was a right sarcy c***, like. That comment about Sissoko was baffling - I thought everyone agreed that he's a f***ing dick? Weird, weird stick to beat Newcastle fans with, that one. Then some comment about the singing section; "heh, guess they must've lost their voice." :lol: Eh? Off you f*** you utter melt.

Why was he so bitter? :lol: Sky must hate us like, fucking over our away fans, peddling Ashley's shit, being salty towards our fans during a fucking game of ours. :lol:

Guest neesy111

The 3 players that impressed me the most were 3 of our summer signings.  Atsu, Manquillo and Merino so that's a good sign.

Lejeune was also having a good game before being savaged by Kane.

The commentator was a right sarcy c***, like. That comment about Sissoko was baffling - I thought everyone agreed that he's a f***ing dick? Weird, weird stick to beat Newcastle fans with, that one. Then some comment about the singing section; "heh, guess they must've lost their voice." :lol: Eh? Off you f*** you utter melt.

Why was he so bitter? :lol: Sky must hate us like, fucking over our away fans, peddling Ashley's shit, being salty towards our fans during a fucking game of ours. :lol:

We were back in the PL against some PL southern favourites - it was important for Sky to immediately remind us about how entitled we all are. Those bloody Newcastle fans whinging again, why can't they just be satisfied with being cannon fodder?

Guest chopey

The 3 players that impressed me the most were 3 of our summer signings.  Atsu, Manquillo and Merino so that's a good sign.

:snod: :snod:

Thought Manquillo looked useful in the final third and was clearly frustrated about a couple of balls that didn't reach him, but he had a mare for the second goal.

I think Merino touched the ball more in his cameo than Hayden & Shelvey put together. He looks like he's going to be very good.

merino actually went looking for the ball and asking for it.

Thought Manquillo looked useful in the final third and was clearly frustrated about a couple of balls that didn't reach him, but he had a mare for the second goal.

While that's true I don't want to criticise too much, it's extremely hard for anyone to stay in position when you are down to 10 men.

Guest Bordertoon

Given that Gayle was never likely to be fit enough to complete the full 90 minutes, if the first half injuries and (especially) Shelvey's lunacy hadn't derailed the game plan, it would've been interesting to see how Rafa would have approached the final third (or quarter) of the match.

For instance, would he have used Mitro up front as a direct replacement for Gayle, while introducing Merino for Hayden? Or might he have brought on Murphy, while shifting Richie in to the number 10 role, and pushing Ayoze up top? Or would he have opted for another set of subs to the two I've suggested?

Whichever way Rafa went, given Spurs presumed title aspirations, had the score been level and it was still 11 vs 11, then I think Spurs would have tried to force the match and that would have given us far more and far better opportunities to get something on the counter. Basically then, I think we would have been in with a real shot at a earning a valuable point, and a decent shot at earning an invaluable 3 points.

We'll never know, of course, but I'm definitely choosing to stick with a glass half full interpretation of today's match.

Given that Gayle was never likely to be fit enough to complete the full 90 minutes, if the first half injuries and (especially) Shelvey's lunacy hadn't derailed the game plan, it would've been interesting to see how Rafa would have approached the final third (or quarter) of the match.

For instance, would he have used Mitro up front as a direct replacement for Gayle, while introducing Merino for Hayden? Or might he have brought on Murphy, while shifting Richie in to the number 10 role, and pushing Ayoze up top? Or would he have opted for another set of subs to the two I've suggested?

Whichever way Rafa went, given Spurs presumed title aspirations, had the score been level and it was still 11 vs 11, then I think Spurs would have tried to force the match and that would have given us far more and far better opportunities to get something on the counter. Basically then, I think we would have been in with a real shot at a earning a valuable point, and a decent shot at earning an invaluable 3 points.

We'll never know, of course, but I'm definitely choosing to stick with a glass half full interpretation of today's match.

Get a load of this guy!

Agree, good post. :thup:

Absolutely seething. Difficult to interpret what he's more pissed off about; Ashley, or the fact we lost/the way we lost.

Trying to step away from all the transfer bollocks for a moment... you can really tell that Shelvey has gone and done something that Rafa has insisted they do not do. Like he says there, they were talking about having to keep their focus for 90 minutes if we're gonna have a chance of staying up. Barely half way into the season and that's happened. Shelvey is such an idiot.

Absolutely. :thup:

He's obviously pissed off with Shelvey, but I can't help but think the underlying frustration comes from the lack of signings.

At the end of the day if we had the squad in place missing Shelvey for 3 games is no big deal, Rafa knows the quality isn't good enough and more importantly knows the chances of us getting the players in before the end of the window is almost nil.

I think it's more to do with the match, undoubtedly the transfers comes into it though.  Similar to the QPR game at the end of the January window, he was really p*ssed off after that.  Don't think he would have been as annoyed if we had not conceded a last minute OG though. 

Thought Merino was very handy when he came on, spraying the ball about. By that point Spurs had dropped off and I'm not sure he'll get anywhere like as much time in normal circumstances. Probably also helped we'd switched to 3-5-1 by that point.

Atsu looked to have picked up where he left off at the end of last season. He's a much better player now than he was when we first loaned him, hopefully he continues to improve. By contrast I thought Perez was awful in the number 10 role first half but was surprisingly combative when he dropped in for Shelvey. Not convinced by him at this level at all.

Guest Bordertoon

Atsu looked to have picked up where he left off at the end of last season. He's a much better player now than he was when we first loaned him, hopefully he continues to improve.

Agree, I've been impressed by his pre-season form, and am really pleased for him and for us that he backed this up today. After years of being Chelsea loan fodder/tumbleweed, it seems like he might have received a massive injection of confidence from us signing him on a proper contract. It must also have felt nice for him to be able to fully unpack his suitcases for the first time since 2011 - he'd been out on loan since then if I'm not mistaken!

100% this :thup: