Huddersfield Town 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 20/08/17 (post-match from p37)

Disco

Lascelles made a decent point in his interview, we defended well apart from the goal, and we had good situations at the other end but didn't have the cutting edge. That comes down to investment in quality forwards at the end of the day, and we haven't done it.

The balance for keeping the ball isn't there, Huddersfield didn't really give away any space behind so Gayle was useless and when he received his touch is weak, nothing new there tho.

The way Huddersfield commanded and bossed the pressure and game the first 25 mins is just ridicolous. I'm clueless as to wtf is going on watching this shit. So uninspiring.

We don't even have solutions on the bench. There seems to be no future for SDJ anymore, that's for sure. Too bad it's too late  in the window to actually make some decent changes, not that it would matter that much anyway as it seems noone is interested in our Champs players :/

Guest Howaythetoon

I was really disappointed by us today. We offered nothing and looked dodgy defensively. There are no outstanding individuals in our team which worries me because we will need that in order to stay up, even if it's just one or two players. Gayle will struggle to get goals this season if we don't pass the ball quicker and get some better possession and the new striker doesn't look like a goalscorer. Ritchie is clearly unfit as is Gayle to be honest and Lascelles was all over the place. Clarke played OK, but remonstrating with team mates when they scored is a bit rich given he could have done more to close down or get in the way. Elliot's kicking and general aura in goal is worrying too. He looks and feels like a lower league player, but he's starting for us. The less said about Diame the better. We lack pace, ball carrying skills, movement and creativity. Zero spark. This looks like a typical newly promoted Championship team heading back there. Rafa is a great manager but as I said in another thread, giving him a 3m right back or a 5m striker is akin to giving Lewis Hamilton a Ford Fiesta. He can still drive the f***er, but don't expect great lap times. What a waste of Rafa by the way, thanks Mike you fat f***ing c***.

We have no match winners in this team. No attacking players that can make a goal out of nothing (maybe Atsu can become that but he's a long way off on today's evidence) and certainly not a keeper that is going to save everything (like Krul vs. Spurs however long ago that was).

Even with no new additions I have no doubt we'll get a lot better as the weeks go by (as long as Rafa's here), but there's a lot of work to do.

Guest Bordertoon

I was really disappointed by us today. We offered nothing and looked dodgy defensively. There are no outstanding individuals in our team which worries me because we will need that in order to stay up, even if it's just one or two players. Gayle will struggle to get goals this season if we don't pass the ball quicker and get some better possession and the new striker doesn't look like a goalscorer. Ritchie is clearly unfit as is Gayle to be honest and Lascelles was all over the place. Clarke played OK, but remonstrating with team mates when they scored is a bit rich given he could have done more to close down or get in the way. Elliot's kicking and general aura in goal is worrying too. He looks and feels like a lower league player, but he's starting for us. The less said about Diame the better. We lack pace, ball carrying skills, movement and creativity. Zero spark. This looks like a typical newly promoted Championship team heading back there. Rafa is a great manager but as I said in another thread, giving him a 3m right back or a 5m striker is akin to giving Lewis Hamilton a Ford Fiesta. He can still drive the f***er, but don't expect great lap times. What a waste of Rafa by the way, thanks Mike you fat f***ing c***.

Sadly, I find it impossible to disagree with the overall gist of this post. However, considering the players we were missing, I didn't think that we looked particularly dodgy defensively. Also, I feel it's too early to declare that Joselu is not a goal scorer - after all, in under a half of football he was a poor centre from Manquillo away from netting  his first goal for us (from memory, he was well placed to capitalise), and he had at least two shots on target iirc. Admittedly, those shots were weak, but considering his pre-season strikes for Stoke, it doesn't seem like that will always be the case.

Front four are dwarves and can't win any of our numerous long balls.

We may aswell go 4-4-2 and have Gayle playing off Joselu / Mitrovic.

Drop Perez because he's done sod all for ages now.

We're only two games in, but theres nothing to look at in our attack and think "we'll be ok once we click" because we havent even created any chances in the two games. Ritchie had that 20 yard drive, and Perez got a knock down, but that's it in two games. Awful attacking show yesterday, and the defence was suspect.

Simple: Sign some fucking players.

I'm 99.99% sure Henri Saivet wasn't training with the first team at the public training session the other day yet made the bench ahead of people who were.

How???

We need to offer a lot more going forward if we're going to even survive this year.

we still restricted them defensively mind, and thats with 3 out of our first choice back 4 out injured.

I only saw the highlights and read the reports but I'm going to conclude it was a poor game between two poor sides. Shelvey out through stupidity and Gayle seemingly unfit is a mitigating circumstance, but one that we need to be better prepared for. Games like this highlight the lack of quality in key areas of the team. Their goalie keeping out Ritchie's effort also illustrates the value of a good one of them.

If that is Huddersfield at full strength, I reckon they'll struggle too. If the six points have lengthened their odds on going down, I would say get in there.

Souness is an arse with a chip on his shoulder and I wouldn't judge Merino on any comments made by him.

I'm 99.99% sure Henri Saivet wasn't training with the first team at the public training session the other day yet made the bench ahead of people who were.

How???

We need to offer a lot more going forward if we're going to even survive this year.

we still restricted them defensively mind, and thats with 3 out of our first choice back 4 out injured.

saivet was definitely at the training day. took the bairns to watch it.

Increasingly it seems to be the flavor of the day for fans of other clubs and TV pundits alike to happily quote that "Newcastle" (whatever that means) and the fans of the club have a belief that they deserve to be riding high with the top six and winning trophies....

Reading a load of quotes from the currently buoyant Huddersfield supporters stating that we were almost as bad as Crystal Palace and how we need to evaluate our place in English football (or words to that extent) makes you realize that outside of this forum where most people are very grounded and realistic of where we are that this crazy perception of Newcastle fans seems to be running along as strongly as ever.

I am really tired of having to explain to supporters of other clubs that I come across on my travels that we are not like that, at least not supporters that go to the games and understand anything about football.  It is a common thread with managers who have been here and failed that they could not live up to OUR expectations - Souness is an obvious candidate for this type of tripe!  What do we have to do to stop this pathetic false image that people are given by the media and make everyone realize that we are very realistic about the type of club that we are while at the same time just reminding them that we do get amazing crowds every week and have tremendous support that actually does deserve better?

When you have the likes of Hudderfield outplay us and then their fans start to take the piss is galling.  This whole euphoria of promotion and last season has already evaporated and the grim reality of Mike Ashley being our owner has landed back with me.  Looking at Rafa and his body language it is clear that he really feels let down, he doesn't need this...  the only reason he is still here (maybe) is that he feels he can identify with the fans and that he feels valued, at least by us!  If this window closes without some significant incoming players I cannot see him hanging around much longer, he has a reputation of his own to maintain.

I didn't really know where to put this slightly wining post but, here was as good as anywhere as Hudderfield fans are currently lording above us.

Increasingly it seems to be the flavor of the day for fans of other clubs and TV pundits alike to happily quote that "Newcastle" (whatever that means) and the fans of the club have a belief that they deserve to be riding high with the top six and winning trophies....

Reading a load of quotes from the currently buoyant Huddersfield supporters stating that we were almost as bad as Crystal Palace and how we need to evaluate our place in English football (or words to that extent) makes you realize that outside of this forum where most people are very grounded and realistic of where we are that this crazy perception of Newcastle fans seems to be running along as strongly as ever.

I am really tired of having to explain to supporters of other clubs that I come across on my travels that we are not like that, at least not supporters that go to the games and understand anything about football.  It is a common thread with managers who have been here and failed that they could not live up to OUR expectations - Souness is an obvious candidate for this type of tripe!  What do we have to do to stop this pathetic false image that people are given by the media and make everyone realize that we are very realistic about the type of club that we are while at the same time just reminding them that we do get amazing crowds every week and have tremendous support that actually does deserve better?

When you have the likes of Hudderfield outplay us and then their fans start to take the p*ss is galling.  This whole euphoria of promotion and last season has already evaporated and the grim reality of Mike Ashley being our owner has landed back with me.  Looking at Rafa and his body language it is clear that he really feels let down, he doesn't need this...  the only reason he is still here (maybe) is that he feels he can identify with the fans and that he feels valued, at least by us!  If this window closes without some significant incoming players I cannot see him hanging around much longer, he has a reputation of his own to maintain.

I didn't really know where to put this slightly wining post but, here was as good as anywhere as Hudderfield fans are currently lording above us.

As far as I remember this whole stigma started with Souness but I may be wrong. He's an odious gobshite that still makes me cringe over the damage he did to our squad whenever I see him blabbing away on Sky. I remember when we beat Arsenal at home in 2005-06 and he came out with something along the lines of "they don't like it when you rough them up" in his post-match interview, and before you know it the Arsenal players were getting their legs broken and what have you.

Weird start to the season, we looked quite capable against Spurs and very nervous against Huddersfield. We were also playing them at a bad time for us and a great time for them. I still think our general performance level will be much closer to the Spurs game this season, as long as we're not decimated by injury and suspension too often. A lot of valid concerns about the season but I still think Rafa will get the job done.

When you have the likes of Hudderfield outplay us and then their fans start to take the p*ss is galling.  This whole euphoria of promotion and last season has already evaporated and the grim reality of Mike Ashley being our owner has landed back with me.  Looking at Rafa and his body language it is clear that he really feels let down, he doesn't need this...  the only reason he is still here (maybe) is that he feels he can identify with the fans and that he feels valued, at least by us!  If this window closes without some significant incoming players I cannot see him hanging around much longer, he has a reputation of his own to maintain.

It's one of those myths people want to believe so they will, the royal mail lose everything, the trains are always late, etc etc.

It's one of those myths people want to believe so they will, the royal mail lose everything, the trains are always late, etc etc.

Royal Mail?

You'll be quoting British Rail next.....  haha.

Edit, I think you are right, it is still Royal mail even after the privatization...  my mistake there!  :-)

Royal Mail?

You'll be quoting British Rail next.....  haha.

Edit, I think you are right, it is still Royal mail even after the privatization...  my mistake there!  :-)

mong alert!

Weird start to the season, we looked quite capable against Spurs and very nervous against Huddersfield. We were also playing them at a bad time for us and a great time for them. I still think our general performance level will be much closer to the Spurs game this season, as long as we're not decimated by injury and suspension too often. A lot of valid concerns about the season but I still think Rafa will get the job done.

to be honest, some of the negativity and rafa's body language during interviews must be getting through to the players.

to be honest, some of the negativity and rafa's body language during interviews must be getting through to the players.

Not to mention what they thought about "Mike Ashley Speaks" on the opening day of the season either.