Newcastle United 3 - 0 West Ham United - 26/08/17 (post match reaction from p22)

Greg

Mitro definitely gone for 3 games. That elbow flared out man ... the guy is an absolute moron.

He will never be a key player as he cannot be relied on whatsoever. The guy is unhinged.

That pressing was very impressive, even right to the end when we'd already got the points in the bag.

Aye. As much as I love attacking football, I love pressing when off the ball even more. When we don't have the ball I have always been frustrated and angry whenever we don't press teams. Time and time again shows like MOTD show that successful teams always press the opposition when they don't have the ball. I fail to see why any manager worth his salt wouldn't have it as core aspect of their off the ball game plan.

That pressing was very impressive, even right to the end when we'd already got the points in the bag.

Aye. As much as I love attacking football, I love pressing when off the ball even more. When we don't have the ball I have always been frustrated and angry whenever we don't press teams. Time and time again shows like MOTD show that successful teams always press the opposition when they don't have the ball. I fail to see why any manager worth his salt wouldn't have it as core aspect of their off the ball game plan.

Because it's hard work to do it if you can't keep possession well enough to take a breather.

I said the other day that if you take your chances it's easier, if you make mistakes it's worse. So today, we took our chances - it could have been even better, we have to say that - but we are really pleased with 3-0.

#negativetactics #hatesgoals #play442

That play 442 thing is unfair. People just want a plan B if it's not working. Nobody says it has to be every game like.

Did we not play 4-4-2 today ? If not 4-4-1-1. The normal "2" being much more fluid (by which I mean Merino).

Going off the heat maps, we were closer to 4-4-2 last week than this week (presumably to have someone closer to Gayle for counters because he needs it). Today seemed a fairly standard 4-2-3-1 with Merino actually sitting deeper of the two & Perez certainly not playing like an orthodox 10. Anyway, it's really more about how you approach the game than anything else, IMO, we were very purposeful today compared to last week.

We played shit last week and consistently gave the ball away needlessly, we didn't play shit this week and were very incisive. Due to the quality of players we have the season will probably be a mixed bag of those 2 extremes and whatever lies between - as last season was. Changing to 4-4-2 won't do anything.

We played s*** last week and consistently gave the ball away needlessly, we didn't play s*** this week and were very incisive. Due to the quality of players we have the season will probably be a mixed bag of those 2 extremes and whatever lies between - as last season was. Changing to 4-4-2 won't do anything.

:thup:

We must have played higher up this week. We were just sitting off last week.

Huddersfield are ball hoggers who press well and like to play high up the pitch, we restricted them well and they only really had 1 or 2 genuine chances on goal. Our problem was that when we did have the ball we gave it away senselessly, granted Huddersfield were a lot sharper than West Ham were today but it was still very bad on our part. We looked shaken.

We rarely put a foot wrong today.

Guest firetotheworks

Watching the match back and it was much more of a team performance even if Merino and Ritchie initially stood out. Atsu, Mbemba, Clark, Joselu, Perez, and Hayden all put in good performances in their own way and we're all important. Even Manquillo was fine. It was only really Lascelles who was quiet, but that's a good thing, he was well protected and had very little to do.

When I read the line up I just assumed Clark would be at left back. This has probably been covered like but does Rafa not trust Mbemba enough to play him in the middle?

It's probably more a case of trusting Clark in the middle more than Mbemba. I rate Mbemba but Clark has been immense for us since he came here so I can understand Rafa's decision.

Guest Howaythetoon

Watched the full match back and a few observations...

The team showed fight, spirit and character from the off - this is a United camp it would seem.

The atmosphere sounded good and there was lots of love for Rafa.

Merino has it all in his locker and could be a beast for us.

Clarke and Lascelles both played well, the former looked classy at times.

Hayden puts himself about and presses and drives us forward, complimenting Merino well.

Mbemba played well and is good going forward, but he takes risk on the ball and Rafa doesn't like that. However, him and Atsu worked well in tandem at both ends. I'd like to see more of that unless we were to sign a top left back.

The Spanish right back is a bit flimsy.

Perez has so much in his locker, but is lightweight and indecisive.

Joselu has good movement, but clearly lacks match fitness.

Ritchie was back to his best and our best player.

We cannot go all season with Elliott as number one.

West Ham were awful, but we were really good. We played like a Rafa side and looked good on the counter.

We now need to bring in a goalkeeper, a playmaker and a goalscorer if we can. I won't hold my breath.

Despite the 3 points and the encouraging performance, this will be a tough season of struggle.

Tom Downs returns. Ha!  Loved watching the the full match knowing the outcome. Couple of observations, Mbemba gave the ball away too many times/more than anyone. Rafa won't like that. Perez' effort was first class and some lovely touches, but we really need an upgrade in that position. Feel bad saying so after one of his better performances and assist but final ball was just not good enough. Liked Manquillo's contribution. It was clear WH were targeting Mbemba's side, but Manquillo in the main did what he had to do very effectively. Oh, and delighted to see Ritchie back in top form; what a game he had.