Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Man U didn't charge a transfer fee to let him leave for his boyhood club (probably so Everton could pick up his substantial wages). You'd think Man U would be annoyed if Everton get £12.5m for him. Rooney with 1 year left on his contract is worth £12.5m? They should just wait a season and get him for free.

Man U just happy to get him off the wage bill.

I reckon Rooney will take a lot of any fee if moving requires a drop in wage.

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s quite simple really, lifestyle aside, Rooney just isnt an athlete.

Isn't lifestyle a pretty fundamental part of being an athlete?

You get some that are gifted athletes, who you could see playing other sports. Rooney isn't that but he's not your Guthrie's, Sammy Ameobi's or even a Yohan Cabaye who struggle to keep up physically over 90 minutes and 38 games. I don't think you get to be as good as Rooney was, or as dynamic, without being a good enough athlete.

He’s never been an athlete and by that I mean someone who has physical finesse. Lifestyle obviously effects your body and how it performs, but not as much as simple physiology. He has the football brain to go on into his late 30s even at this level, but not the body. Coupled with his lifestyle and how he likes to play it’s all contributed towards him looking well spent as a footballer. He has had an amazing career though and a long one. For me though, he ne er become the player that was locked inside that 16-22 year-old that we seen at Everton, early doors for England and of course Man Utd. Fergie utilising him tactically wide and loading him with defensive duties sort of curtailed him as a player. His passion, his determination to run around chasing down players and the ball is commendable, but an English disease. At Arsenal for example I think Wenger would have knocked that out of him or tried to. Fergie didn’t, he demanded it as all he cared about and rightly so as manager was the end result - win at all costs.

Apparently Barca are going to listen to offers for Dembele :lol:

Since Cruyff and Guardiola left, they've become such a horribly run football club who have all the cracks caused by their stupid decisions papered over by the GOAT.

Rooney's had quite the decline given how good he was. Doesn't seem that long ago that he was being (wrongly/unfairly) heralded as England's only hope.

Rooney was 16 when he made it into the Everton first team so he's been playing top division football for 16 years. His body will have taken a hammering.

Rooney and Milner the big two 16 year old hopes in 2002, testament to the pro Milner is.

Since Cruyff and Guardiola left, they've become such a horribly run football club who have all the cracks caused by their stupid decisions papered over by the GOAT.

Seem deadset on Griezmann don't they?

They should loan Dembele out but they will probably need the money.

Outside of experienced purchases Barcelona have tended to struggle in the transfer market for a long-time. Neymar, Suarez & Rakitic couldn't fail. BUt you look at the other signings in the squad post Guardiola and it's not great at all.

And it's too easy to rely on Messi, in a way Real don't rely on Ronaldo. Ronaldo will be the difference in terms of scoring important goals when nobody else would. But the rest need to create the chances. At Barca, you can play off Messi totally and other players can take less responsibility.

Seem deadset on Griezmann don't they?

They should loan Dembele out but they will probably need the money.

Outside of experienced purchases Barcelona have tended to struggle in the transfer market for a long-time. Neymar, Suarez & Rakitic couldn't fail. BUt you look at the other signings in the squad post Guardiola and it's not great at all.

And it's too easy to rely on Messi, in a way Real don't rely on Ronaldo. Ronaldo will be the difference in terms of scoring important goals when nobody else would. But the rest need to create the chances. At Barca, you can play off Messi totally and other players can take less responsibility.

Even during Guardiola they just lit money on fire with their transfer spending.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/pep-guardiola/spielertransfers/trainer/5672/plus/0?station_id=28649

They pretty much gifted Inter the treble with the Zlatan transfer (only to ditch him a year later) and blew 40 million (back when that actually meant something) on an endless parade of crappy Brazilians.  Their biggest successes were Mascherano & Alves (both no brainers) and Pique (who was a Barcelona Academy anyway).

Leicester have signed Ricardo Pereira for €25 million from Porto.

Strange when Claude Puel's job was supposed to be in doubt. This signing implies he'll be staying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44186203

Pereira began his senior career with Vitoria Guimaraes before joining Porto in 2013, playing under current Leicester boss Claude Puel during a two-year loan spell with French club Nice from 2015 to 2017.

Puel said: "I'm delighted to have a player of Ricardo's quality on board for next season. I remember him well from my time at Nice."

Yet to dislodge Cedric Soares and Cancelo at right back for the national team making him third choice so make of that what you will.

I certainly won't be getting too flustered over our 'rivals' splashing out £20+ million on unproven right backs.

Sound logic.

Jamaal isn't in the WC squad despite Phil Jones being dogshit. Does that mean you think Jamaal is worth less than 20mil?