Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Guest firetotheworks

Most of the players mentioned have had massive injuries that have affected their ability to run let alone play football. Rooney's the only one out of the examples that's just knackered. He's had nothing injury-wise that's really affected the way that he plays, he's just worn out, and tbf he's 32.

Most of the players mentioned have had massive injuries that have affected their ability to run let alone play football. Rooney's the only one out of the examples that's just knackered. He's had nothing injury-wise that's really affected the way that he plays, he's just worn out, and tbf he's 32.

That's true to some extent but he was always a heavy player. Age catches that up. Ronaldo is the same age and is nowhere near as fucked as Rooney imo.

That's true to some extent but he was always a heavy player. Age catches that up. Ronaldo is the same age and is nowhere near as fucked as Rooney imo.

Ronaldo is a beast though, to be fair. He's lived like a machine his entire career. Rooney's very British in his lifestyle, even though he's a pro as well.

Guest firetotheworks

True, but then Ronaldo isn't in that same category that we're talking about, players who've played absolute top flight, first team football every week since they were 16.

The only other player aside from Rooney that I can think of who's done the same thing without their decline being more down to injuries is Fabregas and even then he's still relatively very decent.

Basically, I don't really necessarily buy the whole starting young fading young thing and think other things are at play.

Ronaldo is a beast though, to be fair. He's lived like a machine his entire career. Rooney's very British in his lifestyle, even though he's a pro as well.

Yeah, which proves my point. Messi played since 17 and had worse injuries than Rooney yet is also still at it.

Guess I'm saying that just saying he played since 16 doesn't cover it. He's responsible for his decline as well.

Shearer had crippling injuries and didn't run to America.

You'll be lucky if there's 6 months between Rooney and Ronaldo starting to play top flight. Then there's the Messi and his growth/injury issues.

Point is that it's not as simple as just saying Rooney started at 16. Imo.

Guest firetotheworks

There's a big gap between what Rooney was doing and what Ronaldo was doing at the same age like, but I think ultimately we're still making the same point but just in different ways here. :lol:

That Rooney's the only player who potentially fits into this whole knackered because he started early theory, so therefore I don't think it's a very good theory.

Yeah, which proves my point. Messi played since 17 and had worse injuries than Rooney yet is also still at it.

Guess I'm saying that just saying he played since 16 doesn't cover it. He's responsible for his decline as well.

Shearer had crippling injuries and didn't run to America.

Didn't Maldini play in Milan's first team from 17 to nearly 40? It's not unheard of at the very, very top.

I think it’s more down to lifestyle, determination to succeed, injuries, the league and style of play.

Rooney wasn’t a first team regular at 16. Ronaldo’s played over 150 more games than Rooney. 40 club games or more for 14 out of the last 15 seasons.  Hasn’t played less than 30 games a season since his first ever season.

Rooney probably has a natural build / athleticism that is prone to aging badly. He’s had weight problems. I doubt his diet and lifestyle is great. And he has a rugged style of play.

Some lads are unlucky with injury.  But there’s a strong correlation between injuries, physical decline and lifestyle. 

All this to say, if Rooney took better care of himself he would’ve extended his top level performance for many more years. Probably. 

It’s quite simple really, lifestyle aside, Rooney just isnt an athlete.

Isn't lifestyle a pretty fundamental part of being an athlete?

You get some that are gifted athletes, who you could see playing other sports. Rooney isn't that but he's not your Guthrie's, Sammy Ameobi's or even a Yohan Cabaye who struggle to keep up physically over 90 minutes and 38 games. I don't think you get to be as good as Rooney was, or as dynamic, without being a good enough athlete.

Man U didn't charge a transfer fee to let him leave for his boyhood club (probably so Everton could pick up his substantial wages). You'd think Man U would be annoyed if Everton get £12.5m for him. Rooney with 1 year left on his contract is worth £12.5m? They should just wait a season and get him for free.