Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Buffon is going to PSG isn't he?

Aye :thup: West Ham fans reckon he's signing for them because he said something complimentary about them in a book 20 years ago.

And he thinks Andy Carroll is class. Looks nailed on.

Called him a paint brush didn't he? :lol:

A paintbrush striker, aye, because he applies the finishing touch.

:lol: Fucking Italians.

Guest firetotheworks

Buffon is going to PSG isn't he?

Aye :thup: West Ham fans reckon he's signing for them because he said something complimentary about them in a book 20 years ago.

And he thinks Andy Carroll is class. Looks nailed on.

Called him a paint brush didn't he? [emoji38]

A paintbrush striker, aye, because he applies the finishing touch.

[emoji38] Fucking Italians.

Fucking Ital-yaaaAAaAaAns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44221611

Wayne Rooney: Everton forward to meet MLS side DC United this week

By Simon Stone

BBC Sport

Everton forward Wayne Rooney is to travel to Washington this week to meet Major League Soccer side DC United.

The 32-year-old has already agreed a deal in principle with the club, although he still has a year left on his contract at Goodison Park.

The trip to the capital of the United States is understood to be a fact-finding mission.

Rooney rejoined Everton in July 2017 having spent 13 seasons at Manchester United.

He is the Red Devils' record goalscorer and won five Premier League titles and the Champions League.

It is understood Rooney has been offered a contract until the end of the 2020 MLS season. The US transfer window does not open until July.

BBC Sport also understands Everton have given Rooney permission to speak to the American club but would welcome him remaining on Merseyside next season.

The Toffees are also keen for Rooney to discuss his future with their new director of football, former PSV Eindhoven sporting director Marcel Brands, and meet their new manager once appointed - with ex-Watford boss Marco Silva the main contender for that role.

Rooney made 40 appearances for the club last season and was top scorer with 11 goals.

'Final decision rests with Everton' - analysis

BBC Sport's Simon Stone

The devil is in the detail with this proposed move. It is anticipated former England captain Rooney will be in Washington on Thursday and his trip will last no more than 48 hours. None of the first-team coaching or playing personnel will be around as they have an away game at LAFC on Saturday.

This is a fact-finding trip, a chance to understand the club and get to know some of the executive personnel.

A final decision, it is being stressed by Rooney's spokesperson, rests with Everton. And there is the crux. Rooney still has a year left on his contract at Goodison Park. That is probably around £7.5m in wages and bonuses. Before he commits to what is likely to be the last significant move of his career, Rooney's advisors will want to make sure an acceptable financial exit is thrashed out.

For their part, Everton will be looking to limit further expenditure on a player who returned amid much fanfare 12 months ago but faded after a bright start.

The bottom line is it is now more likely than it has ever has been that Rooney will be starting a new phase of his career in Major League Soccer when new signings are allowed to play in July.

So much for a £12m transfer fee then.

Leeds is gearing up with new partner from almighty and rich NFL

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44236885

Leeds United confirm partnership with NFL-linked 49ers Enterprises

Leeds United have entered a partnership with 49ers Enterprises, the investment entity behind American football giants San Francisco 49ers.

United chairman Andrea Radrizzani said funds invested in the collaboration will be used to "improve results on the pitch" at the Championship club.

The link-up could also see Leeds play games at the 49ers' Levi's Stadium.

In addition, 49ers Enterprises president Paraag Marathe has joined Leeds' board of directors.

Radrizzani is believed to have sold 10% of the shareholding in Leeds to the entity, which it is hoped will see shared business practice between the two clubs.

Sounds shameful and transparent to me. Hate away.

That said. Don’t suppose it is much different from very top players tumbling down the footballing pyramid in this country, to extend their playing career. Only with more exposure and wedge. Funny how the former seems kind of admirable to me (oh look how much they love the game they’re smothering up with deep heat to turn out at  Scunthorpe) whereas the latter seems tainted (money grabbing cunts. You not rich enough yet?). In reality, main driver for many might simply be extending their career. Still feeling as if they make the difference. Only, they get more choice where they do it. And more people want to watch. Plus, they get to live /experience somewhere new. Perhaps turn people onto the beautiful game... oh bugger. I am changing my own mind now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44233197

"Andres Iniesta: Barcelona legend going to 'new home' in Japan"

I hate how people sneer at players making moves like this at the end of their career, as if it's some sort of embarrassing money grab. The idea of going to play football in Japan, or Mexico, or China, sounds awesome to me.

Plus he won everything that he can possibly win so why not make some extra cash playing under less pressure somewhere different.

I'm in Japan and according to Japanese sources, the average salary of a Japanese footballer in the J1 league is about 20 million yen a year, which is about 130,000GBP or two and a half grand a week. That would be low for the Championship or high for League 1. According to different sources Iniesta is on annual wages of 3.25 to 3.9 billion yen, 150 to 200 times the J1 average.

I think I'll go and see him play if I get the chance, but the above relative difference in pay does sour the romance of what he's doing.

Guest firetotheworks

I've got no issue with footballers doing it at the end of their career, after they've achieved everything they set out to. With that in mind Iniesta's won literally every possible top-level cup that you could for club and country.

Someone like Oscar would be the antithesis of that.

I've got no issue with footballers doing it at the end of their career, after they've achieved everything they set out to. With that in mind Iniesta's won literally every possible top-level cup that you could for club and country.

Someone like Oscar would be the antithesis of that.

Some of them don't care about the game, only the life it brings them. I can understand that.