Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Bergwijn has been chronically mismanaged and underutilized at Spurs. A real shame he went there in the first place - and initially under a manager who had little time/patience for developing young players.

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Bergwijn has been chronically mismanaged and underutilized at Spurs. A real shame he went there in the first place - and initially under a manager who had little time/patience for developing young players.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Think he has all the tools to be a really good Premier League player, but needed to go into a team that was more attack minded and where he could get a run of games. Under Pochettino he would have been really good I think.

20 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I thought Chelsea would win the league last season and they were rubbish so I feel I can't back them again, but yes anything short of competing for the league would be underperformance. They do need to sort out their defense.

I watched one transfer podcast, and they were saying the new owner has been very involved in player negotiations and has been trying to see if he could trade players like they do in America!

I think things could potentially go really pear shaped at Chelsea. They've lost a number of good players in the last couple of seasons and don't think they've brought anyone in this summer so far. Letting centre backs the quality of Tomori, Christensen and Rudiger go in the space of a year is crazy. All they have as far as experience back there now is Silva, and he is getting old. Upfront they have no one that will get 15 - 20 goals either, having swapped out Tammy for Lukaku, only to send Lukaku back a year later a hundred million pounds down.

31 minutes ago, Paully said:

I remember that - we could have Carrick when he was leaving West Ham but Shepherd took the piss and off he went to Spurs!

Shepherd thought Carrick would demand the move to us and hold out for it, so deliberately low balled it, iirc. 

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Loverley stuff, that.

Fucking love it if Fat Frank took them down 

Even better is they still owe to Watford and spurs themselves with Ali. ?

19 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I mean, sure, but it’s not like you had a choice between the two approaches. I genuinely don’t think you could have got a single one of those players…at this stage in proceedings. You’re just doing what any team in your position should be doing, just you have more flexibility and money than most have had.

Take, I dunno, Leicester seven years ago - signing relatively unknown quality players (Kante, Inler, Demarai Gray, Amartey) putting them with tried and trusted PL players (Huth, Nathan Dyer) and making the most of players already there (Chilwell, Wes Morgan, Danny Drinkwater, Riyad Mahrez). One difference is that your “relatively unknown” quality players and other transfers in are costing about three or four times as much as Leicester paid. And that’s OK, it’s where you’re at. It’s just a bit strange to be pleased about not doing something that you couldn’t do even if you wanted.

I take your point but at the same time the new owners could have took the Man City approach and spent millions on marque signings (money talks) and I'm not so sure we couldn't have attracted some of those players if we just flashed the cash therefore don't think we can really say they were out of our reach.... as far a I am aware we never tried for any of them so we'll never know.

11 hours ago, Manxst said:

Shepherd thought Carrick would demand the move to us and hold out for it, so deliberately low balled it, iirc. 

Yep, that’s correct! 

I’m sure he went for something stupid too like £3m FFS!

On 28/06/2022 at 11:45, TRon said:

The bloke holding the shirt with him bears an uncanny resemblence to Tessio from the Godfather.

"Mike....can you get me out of this one? For old times sake?"

if he and the Godfather met, I think it would end with Marlon Brando and the Godfather as two separate entities kissing his hand. [emoji38]

He's as nasty and cunning as they come, but no one can argue his results.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Moyes apparently prefers Lingard to Danjuma. Reverting to type?

One did very well for them on loan to be fair and the other flopped at Bournemouth in the PL, plus the latter will cost a lot of money where as Lingard is on a free, sensible really. We should be all over that deal like, Danjuma I mean!

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Doesn’t Jlingz want £180k a week though? Who does he think West Ham are?!?? Everton?

He’s worth nowhere near that but you have to factor in he’s on a free and could well pay for himself wages wise if he has similar form to what he showed preiviously while on loan there. I think Moyes’ style of play suits him, he likes a box to box type free runner type player.