Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Guest HTT II
40 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Tottenham will be a very good team, but an utterly dislikable one with some class diving about.

That’s Conte’s style though no? They are building a tasty squad, but won’t win the title even if they add a few more in. City are too strong and Spurs will always get the odd daft defeat to some random lesser team like they always do. I can see them pushing LFC hard for second though who I think could have an off season myself compared to their usual high standards. 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Interesting, is he on his way down? Will be interesting to watch him this season 

Think it’s a great resigning for Liverpool for those 3 years. Puts hopes of them fading on the back burner IMO.

I would actually take a cheap punt on Dele and see if a manager like Howe could reform him / get him back to where he was. Depends on his mindset, but consecutive mourinho and Lampard is a tough spot. Totally open to being wrong and him just having a shit attitude, but low risk high reward kind of thing if you got him on the cheap or an incentivised deal.

Guest HTT II

Sensible from a sensible ran club. Staves off the he will be off on a free narrative next season after this one or will he down tools narrative, secures him for a few more years with guaranteed goals and opens up an avenue to cash in on him rather than leaving on a free. Also lessons the burden on Diaz and Nunez to smash it out of the park goals wise or be the main man/men so can be bedded in more casually.

Think if Mane had stayed they would have let Salah go. Think it's sensible to cash in on one of them but also avoid losing them both as it would be too much of a transition in one go - even indicative of decline.

8 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Think if Mane had stayed they would have let Salah go. Think it's sensible to cash in on one of them but also avoid losing them both as it would be too much of a transition in one go - even indicative of decline.

Did they fall out ?

Edited by Ben
Shite spelling

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Think the market pretty much dictated Salah had nowhere to go for the money he was after. Pre pandemic I’m sure he’d have been seeing Spain as the next step but Madrid don’t need him and Barça are skint.

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I would actually take a cheap punt on Dele and see if a manager like Howe could reform him / get him back to where he was. Depends on his mindset, but consecutive mourinho and Lampard is a tough spot. Totally open to being wrong and him just having a shit attitude, but low risk high reward kind of thing if you got him on the cheap or an incentivised deal.

I think one of the main issues with him could be that he has never really had a defined position or role for most of his career and under Poch with him it just all seemed to fit in terms of tactics, style, set up and the players he had around him, and several managers after that have since then tried to convert him into a certain type of player or in a certain role or position and he has struggled.

Which may stem from how he developed as a kid to senior pro team football. I read an article ages ago not long after he had a stellar season for Spurs not long after they signed him and broke into the England team that as youth player he was so gifted he just got played wherever he liked and that continued until he pretty much joined Spurs.

At some point in a young kid’s development unless they are Messi levels, they need coached and developed to play a certain role or transitioned into a certain position so they can maintain a level of consistency otherwise even the most talented players can struggle for consistency. Of course attitude, form, fitness etc. comes into play and playing too much at a young age, plus the trappings of fame and money. All of which may have contributed to his decline.

He’s clearly talented, but he just seems lost on a pitch right now and isn’t he quite a stress head/takes things very serious or to heart? I wouldn’t take him now, but I would like to see him regain his form and start playing like the player he has shown because again there is talent in him, serious talent.

Edited by HTT II

43 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

No way was FSG approving 300k plus salary for two players in their thirties - too much of a gamble. But once Mane left, it made sense for us to extend Salah's contract at an agreeable wage for both parties.  I feel that another reason why this got pushed over the line was Salah agreeing to a three year contract. Originally he wanted a four or five year extension which again FSG would not have been willing to do. 

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

No way was FSG approving 300k plus salary for two players in their thirties - too much of a gamble. But once Mane left, it made sense for us to extend Salah's contract at an agreeable wage for both parties.  I feel that another reason why this got pushed over the line was Salah agreeing to a three year contract. Originally he wanted a four or five year extension which again FSG would not have been willing to do. 

LFC’s transfer/recruitment/retaining/selling of players and their wage structure has been spot on since Klopp arrived really and remarkable given they don’t have a state owned sugar daddy/Oligarch basically like City, Chelsea and now us. It’s a model I’d love us to follow on and off the pitch. 

Edited by HTT II

45 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He’s clearly talented, but he just seems lost on a pitch right now and isn’t he quite a stress head/takes things very serious or to heart? I wouldn’t take him now, but I would like to see him regain his form and start playing like the player he has shown because again there is talent in him, serious talent.

I liked watching him play but I highly doubt he is regaining anything close to acceptable PL performances even under a manager who rates him. I think it is now close to 4 or 5 years when he displayed that form. In the PL, it is difficult to catch up when you have been "mentally and physically" away for so long. 

From the point of view of Newcastle taking a punt on him, I dont think it is worth it. You are far too professional of an outfit under Howe and Ashworth. 

If you are looking at an "attacking project" for Howe, I am sure there are far better young talents in Europe and the championship for Howe to invest his time on developing. 

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

I liked watching him play but I highly doubt he is regaining anything close to acceptable PL performances even under a manager who rates him. I think it is now close to 4 or 5 years when he displayed that form. In the PL, it is difficult to catch up when you have been "mentally and physically" away for so long. 

From the point of view of Newcastle taking a punt on him, I dont think it is worth it. You are far too professional of an outfit under Howe and Ashworth. 

If you are looking at an "attacking project" for Howe, I am sure there are far better young talents in Europe and the championship for Howe to invest his time on developing. 

If he is to turn it around, it has to happen now basically, but I fear it won’t and again I wouldn’t what him here. He’s not a player we need, although he does get goals and assists too, but in terms of positioning and role, where do you play him? 

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

If he is to turn it around, it has to happen now basically, but I fear it won’t and again I wouldn’t him here. He’s not a player we need, although he does get goals and assists too, but in terms of positioning and role, where do you play him? 

Reminds me a bit of Ox - obviously talented, technically excellent, but hasn't really progressed last few years due to injuries and the same reasons you identified for Dele Alli.  

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Reminds me a bit of Ox - obviously talented, technically excellent, but hasn't really progressed last few years due to injuries and the same reasons you identified for Dele Alli.  

Aye, but he’s been lucky to be at a stable club under a great manager, but as you said, he doesn’t really have a defined position or role. Some players can do many roles and play many positions, but those tend to be less talented, Milner for example, yet have longer and more successful careers!

57 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye, but he’s been lucky to be at a stable club under a great manager, but as you said, he doesn’t really have a defined position or role. Some players can do many roles and play many positions, but those tend to be less talented, Milner for example, yet have longer and more successful careers!

Honestly, I just think he's thick as fucking pig shit. He's got no sense of self awareness or emotional intelligence to recognise the need to strive to improve and work himself out of a bad form patch.

Edited by toon25

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Did they fall out ?

Both had one year left on their contracts I think and they couldn't really afford to renew them at the wages they were after. Selling Mane makes sense as Diaz and Jota fit in better on the left than the right. 

5 hours ago, HTT II said:

That’s Conte’s style though no? They are building a tasty squad, but won’t win the title even if they add a few more in. City are too strong and Spurs will always get the odd daft defeat to some random lesser team like they always do. I can see them pushing LFC hard for second though who I think could have an off season myself compared to their usual high standards. 

Not really about Conte or the style my comment really, just about them having a few diving about lads which will infuriate non Spuds fans. I reckon they'll be very good actually, could be a very good season for them if it all clicks. As you say possibly pushing Liverpool if Liverpool have a bit of a dip.

Great move from Liverpool to resign Salah. I was hoping it wouldn't happen.

I wonder if Man City tried tapping him up with an offer of more money. In their situation I would have.

fwiw, Mahrez is also out of contract next summer.

Anyone else expecting Barcelona’s current transfer policy and ‘jam today’ securitisation of tv rights to blow up in their face down the line? Mes que un club bollocks.

Barcelona form their summer transfer plan as they 'look to spend £172million on Robert Lewandowski, Bernardo Silva, Raphinha and Jules Kounde'... and hope to raise the funds by 'selling off another 15% of their TV rights'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10975465/Barcelona-allocate-172million-sign-Lewandowski-Raphinha-Bernardo-Silva-Jules-Kounde.html

Edited by Nucasol