Other clubs' transfers

Greg

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't think any club under Moyes is a place to play football tbh. His teams are best when they are physical and well organised, the fancy stuff isn't really his thing. That said, he's had a terrible season this time round, so he's due a better one next time round. Moyes teams do tend to yo yo a bit.

I think he's also a dodgy start away from being replaced by someone like Potter who will improve them hugely. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Would be daft to move to either of those. Forest will have a better season than both of those under Cooper. More of a settled squad, with a few smart additions will see them around the top half I reckon. Front three of Gibbs-White, Johnson and Awoniyi is good too. Cooper is way ahead of Moyes or Dyche. 

Is he?

The football doesn't seem dissimilar to me.

If Johnson kicks on he could move higher up the league though.

I do think this is a good time for West Ham to move on from Moyes. Hopefully with a trophy. Maybe go in for Potter?

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Everton and West Ham want Johnson from Forest. Not sure how Everton can afford him mind.

Looks like a really good player, reckon Howe could work wonders with him.

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Liverpool are annoyingly good in the transfer market 

To be fair, fans of most clubs think their transfer operation is not up to par, and their rival clubs are better than them. Most "normal" and "rational" Liverpool fans are very impressed with Newcastle's transfers under Ashworth and Howe - Bruno, Botman, Trippier - all bought with a purpose in mind and can play at the highest level.  You see LFC being quick in the transfer window after having a pick of whom we want. We see a club that chased Tchouameni for 4 months before losing him to Madrid, then chasing Bellingham for a year before turning out attention to other players. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about our transfer operation. It is not up to the level which delivered Mane, Salah, etc. but still very, very good. Just pointing out that we tend to be more critical of our clubs and sometimes look at others with rose-tinted glasses. 

It’s a pretty make or break transfer window this for Liverpool. They can’t really afford to get it wrong. It’s helped that they are only having to focus on one area of the team too. 

You look at their business under Klopp and there is very few misses and those that have been are more unlucky AOC with injuries etc.

59 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

To be fair, fans of most clubs think their transfer operation is not up to par, and their rival clubs are better than them. Most "normal" and "rational" Liverpool fans are very impressed with Newcastle's transfers under Ashworth and Howe - Bruno, Botman, Trippier - all bought with a purpose in mind and can play at the highest level.  You see LFC being quick in the transfer window after having a pick of whom we want. We see a club that chased Tchouameni for 4 months before losing him to Madrid, then chasing Bellingham for a year before turning out attention to other players. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about our transfer operation. It is not up to the level which delivered Mane, Salah, etc. but still very, very good. Just pointing out that we tend to be more critical of our clubs and sometimes look at others with rose-tinted glasses. 

Is that largely due to the departure of Edwards?

55 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Is that largely due to the departure of Edwards?

Yes and No. Edwards played an important role in the successful signings, but I don't think it is 100% due to him. Edwards's signings were not that great pre-Klopp. It was during that 2016-2019 period under Klopp that it reached another level. So was it entirely due to Edwards or entirely due to Klopp, difficult to say so. All I know is we had an incredibly smart analytics plus scouting division which delivered.

But I also think it was difficult to sustain that level of hits with signings year in and year out. So while our signings in the last couple of years haven't been at that level, I am fine with that. Even if Edwards was at the helm, I doubt we would have replicated the 2016-2019 success levels. Not sure if any club or sports franchise (in other sports) has nailed almost every signing over an eight to ten period.

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

It’s a pretty make or break transfer window this for Liverpool. They can’t really afford to get it wrong. It’s helped that they are only having to focus on one area of the team too. 

You look at their business under Klopp and there is very few misses and those that have been are more unlucky AOC with injuries etc.

I have to disagree with the make or break assessment. One thing I have realized over the last 25 years is that progress and, at the same time, moving backward, at the highest level is highly nonlinear. We went from way outside the CL places to compete for the PL in 2013-2014 over a summer. We reduced a 25 point gap to City to one point over a summer under Klopp. In one and half seasons, you went from nineteenth (or eighteenth) to CL. No one would have predicted Chelsea finishing outside of tenth place at the beginning of the season. We went from competing for quadruple to finishing outside CL places in one summer.

Even if we don't qualify for CL the next season, it will be fine. As long as we have a quality coaching setup, anything is possible. All it takes is one superstar signing, and clubs will rocket up the table. 

Brighton spending big this summer 

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1666101152977412097?s=20

EXCL: Brighton are now preparing a new, record bid for Levi Colwill close to £40m to be submitted soon ?? #BHAFC

Chelsea turned down £30m bid last week.

Chelsea always had the same position: Colwill is part of long term project, no intention to sell him. #CFC