Other clubs' transfers

Greg

12 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

If we’re looking at what “Africa” might pay for the Saudi league, it would be more instructive to know what they pay for other leagues tbh.

Yeah, I know. What you found was correct and relevant.

I was just then wondering how much the Premier League got from other foreign regions as an aside, and how Africa ranked.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I know. What you found was correct and relevant.

I was just then wondering how much the Premier League got from other foreign regions as an aside, and how Africa ranked.

Total now exceeds the domestic per year:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10500065/amp/Premier-League-overseas-rights-pass-value-domestic-deals.html

That’s, what, £1.8bn a year. Sub-Saharan Africa was less than a tenth of that. US was £2bn over six years so let’s say 333M, roughly double the “African” rights. Looks like “APAC” is comparable to the US deal:

https://media.sportbusiness.com/2022/08/premier-league-defies-trends-to-increase-value-in-asia-pacific-outside-china/

2 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Total now exceeds the domestic per year:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10500065/amp/Premier-League-overseas-rights-pass-value-domestic-deals.html

That’s, what, £1.8bn a year. Sub-Saharan Africa was less than a tenth of that. US was £2bn over six years so let’s say 333M, roughly double the “African” rights. Looks like “APAC” is comparable to the US deal:

https://media.sportbusiness.com/2022/08/premier-league-defies-trends-to-increase-value-in-asia-pacific-outside-china/

Interesting. Nice one :thup:

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

image.thumb.png.84a7dca0f27ec0717bd5321dd2e8e63f.png

Yeah, that's what I was saying can't see him displacing Bowen or Antonio up front and so I assume they know Paqueta is going to be getting a long ban. Up until that gets sorted though, Kudus doesn't really fit elsewhere for them.

4 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Saudi Arabia is very different from the rest of the Middle East. Anyone using Dubai or Abu Dhabi as a reference point doesn't really get it. And any footballer going there on that basis is in for a shock too.

I've been to the middle east 20 times I think? Indeed I've just come back from Qatar this morning. I think I've been to Saudi 10 times, often for a month at a time, variously to Riyadh, Jeddah and Dhahran. Most of the other places, even Qatar, are westernised to an extent. Even in Qatar I could buy a beer in the hotel. Saudi is a completely dry country - beer isn't difficult to get, it's just not sold, not anywhere. It's illegal to own or sell or make or buy. No doubt you could smuggle some in, but that doesn't seem very sensible given the penalties. People will do it, sure, but taking those risks just to get a beer will become very boring very quickly. They take their faith VERY seriously out there.

In most parts of the middle east there's at least something to do or fancy things to go look at. There's NOTHING to do in Saudi. It's just sand, a few shopping malls, oppressive heat and constant prayers. That's not to denigrate the country, I have met some wonderful people out there who I now consider good friends, it's just a fact. Boredom is very real out there because once I finish working (Normal working hours there are stupid, like 06:00 to 13:00) there's just nothing whatsoever to do in the afternoons. Even the internet is heavily censored so it's hard to even spend your afternoons in a debauched few hours of self abuse. :lol: And yes, I know about VPNs. But it just gives you an idea what you're dealing with there.

As for their football league, I suspect it will go the way of China. It's a vanity project but ultimately fans (almost entirely) support clubs, not players, and nobody gives a shit that Ronaldo is playing there now. How many of his full matches has anyone on here tuned in for? I'd reckon a sum total of 0. Same for all the other players at the other clubs. Ultimately, nobody gives a toss about who wins their league except the locals. The clubs have no history and no pedigree. With their clubs never playing ours, they can't establish one either and anyone playing there will be forgotten about. It's a footballing graveyard and a massive money sink.

Their only hope is to get some kind of meaningful competition going with external European clubs on a regular basis, but it'll take 5-10 years of that before the fixtures start to have some history and meaning, and they'll have to keep throwing endless money at it in that time. Unless or until that happens, they'll pump another few hundred billion into it and then slowly realise it was a stupid idea. However I'd be surprised if FIFA or UEFA went for that, as they should know that could tip the power balance towards the middle east so would be sensible to tell them to get lost. But then of course they're hardly immune to bribery, so I guess we'll see a super league next year haha.

I always had that impression of Saudi Arabia, that's why their headlong rush into entering the 21st century doesn't really make much sense. They are supposedly developing womens leagues over there unless I'm mistaken. How would that even work?

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

I always had that impression of Saudi Arabia, that's why their headlong rush into entering the 21st century doesn't really make much sense. They are supposedly developing womens leagues over there unless I'm mistaken. How would that even work?

Much of the youth are desperate to modernise, but there's a significant middle aged population in positions of power who are scared of losing their traditional values and want the brakes applied. 

I get both sides.

3 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Much of the youth are desperate to modernise, but there's a significant middle aged population in positions of power who are scared of losing their traditional values and want the brakes applied. 

I get both sides.

That sounds like here.

6 hours ago, KaKa said:

Where does Kudus play at the minute I wonder?

As I assume he is the replacement for Paqueta being banned?

There's a Twitter account - Pythagoras in Boots (I think is the name) - that highlighted his lack of obvious position as a weakness. 

£120m is a hilarious price. He's an incredible player but he's definitely past his peak and for him to go for well more than even Harry Kane this summer would be mental. Liverpool shouldn't think twice about that if it's true.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Even at 31 he's still absolutely brilliant and will be very, very hard to replace.

He'd be a lot easier to replace with £120m in their pocket mind you. He'll only get worse as a player from here so they might as well take advantage of the obscene financial windfall. 

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He'd be a lot easier to replace with £120m in their pocket mind you. He'll only get worse as a player from here so they might as well take advantage of the obscene financial windfall. 

They could go for Saka with that and the  Caicedo money they mostly still have.

26 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I really, REALLY wish they'd stop giving all our rivals massive warchests for their old players. It's getting very annoying and it's really not helping.

They just fuck it up man and spend on dingos, only Brighton are clever with their windfall 

52 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

£120m is a hilarious price. He's an incredible player but he's definitely past his peak and for him to go for well more than even Harry Kane this summer would be mental. Liverpool shouldn't think twice about that if it's true.

entirely agree. 

that is insane money. 

It's an insane fee but it's very hard to replace a 30 goal a season winger and very easy to spend £120m badly. 

He's been papering over a lot of their cracks for the last year and losing him would massively hurt their chances at top 4 this season.