Other clubs' transfers

Greg

So that will be 11 first team players all from Portugal and only three English players in the squad. One of whom they are actively trying to sell and another one who’s only played 4 times. 

I know football fans are fickle beasts and we don’t really care if things are going well but surely this type of policy eventually alienates the fans. Without sounding too Brexity I’m happy we’ve brought in Trips, Burn, Pope, Targett etc. 

Had a poke around a Wolves message board earlier and in their Bruno Lage threat 93% of them want him gone.

1 minute ago, Bruno said:

Matheus Nunes can be world class. Terrific signing for Wolverhampton.

Would walk into United's 11 easily. Weird of them not to sign him.

Hadn't he been touted all over with no takers ?

Just now, madras said:

Hadn't he been touted all over with no takers ?

Seems like he was waiting for City and Liverpool. He rejected West Ham a couple of weeks ago. Probably received Mendes' confirmation that the biggest clubs were not interested.

Just now, Bruno said:

Seems like he was waiting for City and Liverpool. He rejected West Ham a couple of weeks ago. Probably received Mendes' confirmation that the biggest clubs were not interested.

Be better off asking West Ham if they are still interested than Wolves.

41 minutes ago, madras said:

Be better off asking West Ham if they are still interested than Wolves.

Wolves is an open market place though. West Ham will lock him in a 4-5 year deal and ask for crazy money if he's a success.

Wolves will let him go for a decent price if he's a success. They seem to have an agreement to do this.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Wolves is an open market place though. West Ham will lock him in a 4-5 year deal and ask for crazy money if he's a success.

Wolves will let him go for a decent price if he's a success. They seem to have an agreement to do this.

Over the short term. It hasn't worked for  few of them and West Ham is a better show place. I'm sure they'd find an agreement or maybe there's a fix with Portuguese players and Wolves that maybe isn't to the players benefit ?

Why would any player choose Man Utd over any of the other clubs that populate 14th-7th right at this moment in time?

Managers and players alike are seeing their careers absolutely ruined by going there.

At least a season or two doing well for Wolves will lead to a move to Liverpool or City, there’s a career progression there. And some of the other clubs showing ambition don’t have that toxic vibe coursing through it.

23 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Why would any player choose Man Utd over any of the other clubs that populate 14th-7th right at this moment in time?

Managers and players alike are seeing their careers absolutely ruined by going there.

At least a season or two doing well for Wolves will lead to a move to Liverpool or City, there’s a career progression there. And some of the other clubs showing ambition don’t have that toxic vibe coursing through it.

Easy, exposure and much more money.

Wolves are basically used as a showcase for Portuguese talent to have exposure in the Premier League and then be sold on. There's agreements in place that they won't stand in the players way if they want to leave after impressing for a season or two and a fair offer is received. It currently seems to be good way of guaranteeing league survival without ever quite being able to get real success.

2 minutes ago, KDT said:

Wolves are basically used as a showcase for Portuguese talent to have exposure in the Premier League and then be sold on. There's agreements in place that they won't stand in the players way if they want to leave after impressing for a season or two and a fair offer is received. It currently seems to be good way of guaranteeing league survival without ever quite being able to get real success.

Surprised the Mendes Model hasn’t worked for Neves at this point.

4 minutes ago, KDT said:

Nunes could star for a team looking to win the Champion’s League. Fair to say that level of player does more than ensure their survival.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, KDT said:

Who have they really sold on though, Jota is the only player that springs to mind. I don’t think it’s quite like getting them in to showcase their talent to sell on. Maybe, just maybe, a lot of the talented Portuguese players don’t have such a high ceiling and it’s a case of Wolves offering them the kind of money they couldn’t get back home or elsewhere. 

Just now, HTT II said:

Who have they really sold on though, Jota is the only player that springs to mind. I don’t think it’s quite like getting them in to showcase their talent to sell on. Maybe, just maybe, a lot of the talented Portuguese players don’t have such a high ceiling and it’s a case of Wolves offering them the kind of money they couldn’t get back home or elsewhere. 

Was thinking this. I know there's been interest in Neves, but they've seemingly priced him out of a move 

Guest HTT II
Just now, toon25 said:

Was thinking this. I know there's been interest in Neves, but they've seemingly priced him out of a move 

I don’t doubt if someone offered stupid money they’d sell any of their players, but I don’t buy this is a shopping window type exercise for getting their hands on Portuguese players to then sell on, it’s a market they are seemingly experts in now and obviously agent driven too and it seems to work for them.