Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Find it utterly depressing and extremely boring, personally. So rich they can buy the league's most coveted player just to stop him going to a rival*. 

*aka the third most decorated club in English football

Can't wait to tune into the English Man City League again next season. What fun it is having them around. 

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Find it utterly depressing and extremely boring, personally. So rich they can buy the league's most coveted player just to stop him going to a rival*. 

Can't wait to tune into the English Man City League again next season. What fun it is having them around. 

We’ll be the ones knocking them off their perch when Pep leaves and the rot sets in.

15 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Not been following it that closely but could Arsenal not have bought him if they weren't pissing around over the fee? City did also sell Arsenal two players for decent prices that helped turn them into a rival for the title. 

I do get your point but from a selfish POV it's better for us I think. He'd improve Arsenal a lot more than he would City. 

11 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

We’ll be the ones knocking them off their perch when Pep leaves and the rot sets in.

Not with Ffp we won’t. So much ground to make up and every year the gap gets greater.

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Not been following it that closely but could Arsenal not have bought him if they weren't pissing around over the fee? City did also sell Arsenal two players for decent prices that helped turn them into a rival for the title. 

I do get your point but from a selfish POV it's better for us I think. He'd improve Arsenal a lot more than he would City. 

I think he didn't want to go to Arsenal and was hoping someone else would step in (City or Man Utd) and since City stepped in he's grabbed it with both hands.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Not with Ffp we won’t. So much ground to make up and every year the gap gets greater.

Aye. Their cooking of the books for nigh on a decade has them well away in terms of competition. My guessing is that Pep will be there beyond 2025 too.

5 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Literally after this season we will be sell to buy unless we make the Champion’s League again. We’re at the FFP limit unless we manage to source more commercial revenue streams. 

There will be. We are only getting started with the commercial revenue.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Net spend the last five years has them ranked 8th, three places behind us and that's with some Ashley windows. We are spending money.  football365

City could sell Bernardo, Walker, Cancelo and Phillips this summer for decent change you'd imagine. 

We will struggle as long as we have nobody we can offload for decent fees as we aren't getting any money coming in like other clubs are. 

50 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Net spend the last five years has them ranked 8th, three places behind us and that's with some Ashley windows. We are spending money.  football365

City’s on the books net spend will always be low because they buy some of the finest 22 year olds in the world then sell them 5 years later for big fees. They also have the best academy in the country where they sell most of the talent. Last year they made £150m selling Sterling, Jesus and Zinchenko.  Another £50m selling Edozie, Lavia and others from the Academy. 

anyway Rice can play the Stones role or the Rodri role. He’ll get plenty of game time. He could probably play fullback too. 

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

City could sell Bernardo, Walker, Cancelo and Phillips this summer for decent change you'd imagine. 

We will struggle as long as we have nobody we can offload for decent fees as we aren't getting any money coming in like other clubs are. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of our Kuol/Minteh level signings are made with this in mind. Players coming in and leaving for a profit having never started a first team game. Not necessarily those 2 but signings of that level who are only meant to be loaned out then sold on at a profit.

11 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

If they continue people will watch it. Football is much more star led than many like to believe 

Also, they might not be focusing on the traditional European footie fan.  Visit Saudi was one of the big sponsors of the IPL. Tons of ads about Saudi tourism in Indian media. I have heard from a couple of friends that it is the same in a couple of other South East Asian countries.

A lot of folks in India, Sri Lanka, and other South East Asian countries work in middle eastern countries at all levels - construction workers, shopkeepers, engineers, doctors, and teachers. Places like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and other middle eastern countries are increasingly viewed as holiday destinations for people from these areas. The Qatar world cup, for example, was very popular with people from these countries. For the first time, people from this region got a chance to attend world cup games and see the stars. 

Billions of people live in these countries. Their economies are growing, and most of these countries will have GDPs comparable to EU nations in a decade or so. We are talking about a huge body of people with disposable incomes, who love football, but without the deep attachment, someone like you will have to European clubs. Maybe this entire move from Saudi is aimed at them? Like a middle-class family in India or Vietnam, vacation in Saudi, enjoy fine cuisine, new malls, and the weekend afternoon, watch Ronaldo and Salah and Benzema play footy live?

Not a signing, but a new 4 year contract for John McGinn. 

What a turnaround, what Gerrard did to him was inexplicable. Him and Mings, for that matter.

Genuinely the clearest example of managers ruining players I've seen, I had no idea it was possible for it to happen to that degree, given how far McGinn fell under Carpethead, he looked awful.