Other clubs' transfers

Greg

If FFP forces the top clubs to produce a load more saleable assets that can only be a good thing for the longevity of the game, right? If only they were able to tweak it somehow to avoid the seemingly now unreachable pinnacle they have created.

15 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

If FFP forces the top clubs to produce a load more saleable assets that can only be a good thing for the longevity of the game, right? If only they were able to tweak it somehow to avoid the seemingly now unreachable pinnacle they have created.

But shouldn't well-run clubs be playing their youngsters rather than selling them? Like, they seem to just be selling a young player because a signing from abroad is better for FFP profit. That feels a bit wrong to me. 

15 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But shouldn't well-run clubs be playing their youngsters rather than selling them? Like, they seem to just be selling a young player because a signing from abroad is better for FFP profit. That feels a bit wrong to me. 

It's also that they've now turned to effectively hoovering up talent from local clubs and then pushing them on for pure profit later down the line without ever giving them a chance.

It's decimating academies and youth programmes at Football League clubs - those that are left anyway. 

Edit: Chelsea must rank as one of the fucking worst in this regard.

Edited by toon25

I do get the point that developing and selling a player isn't all bad though, the player is still going somewhere. Just seems weirder when clubs are buying players that are no better than the ones they're selling, just because one is better for FFP in the short term. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Just abolish FFP. The whole thing has been shite from day 1.

It did occur to me that a system that enforces selling a player you don't want to sell for an accounting trick strikes me as something that probably shouldn't be looked upon too favourably.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Just abolish FFP. The whole thing has been shite from day 1.

Agree. At some point it will probably be ditched anyway when a club decides to sue for restriction on fair trade.

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

It did occur to me that a system that enforces selling a player you don't want to sell for an accounting trick strikes me as something that probably shouldn't be looked upon too favourably.

It's not designed to do anything good mate, the sole purpose of the FFP system is to make it harder for small clubs to become big clubs.

It does that fairly well I guess.

Maybe if the Saudi teams get to play in the Champions League they will abolish it.[emoji38] Imagine how much we would spent if they would abolish it, that would be crazy..

Not sure if Palace can afford to lose Eze at the moment, they would have to spent that money very well and also spend it in this window.

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Grealish 100 million

Chukwuemeka 20 million

Cameron Archer 18 million

Jacob Ramsey 12 million

Philogene 5 million

Keinan Davis 1 million

160 million of pure profit. We need to sort out academy out asap. 

That being said - it's a bit sad how FFP almost means clubs are now prioritising the sale of academy players to pay for incomings.

The bosses at Chelsea are panicking.  They’re going, “cut back, lose some players. That’s the way forward. That’ll save us money. “

But who’s to say signing more players won’t save Chelsea money in the long run? Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No. He turns up in a newer car. Perception. 

They’ve got to trust Boehly he’s leading Chelsea into battle. 

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

5 hours ago, brummie said:

Hope Ramsey does well there - we have a buy back clause just in case, mind.

I see Archer is off to Sheffield United for £18m also with a buy back clause.

Plus Philogene to Hull (which I have to say, I am extremely surprised by, both his departure and it being Hull). Don't believe the 5m being mentioned, though.

Either way that's 35m plus of homegrown talent sold in the last few weeks.

Good work. I don’t think the buy back clauses are such a good idea for a club like Villa. 

3 hours ago, Miercoles said:

It's not designed to do anything good mate, the sole purpose of the FFP system is to make it harder for small clubs to become big clubs.

It does that fairly well I guess.

Actually think it’s done us a favour personally.

On 11/08/2023 at 08:33, SUPERTOON said:

On 14/08/2023 at 18:29, The Prophet said:

On 15/08/2023 at 00:08, ToonScotman said:

I must admit I’m absolutely loving the transformation of our academy and quite clear to see for the u21s and 18s it’s paying off pretty quickly with having a proper system and good people in charge of it. We seem to be operating like the other top academies (Man city, Man U and Chelsea) scooping up the best talents in the country and UK…

On 16/08/2023 at 22:03, Whitley mag said:

According to .com, now this lad has been linked to all the top clubs and looks some talent.

A deal is also said to be looming for Birmingham City's teenage winger Trevan Sanusi. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYezUbB-Tw

On 17/08/2023 at 07:13, Ikon said:

Exciting times. We seem to be mopping up talent from everywhere, and not just for the sake of it, but also with a proper plan and strategy behind it…

It’s interesting reading all the above in the Youth thread and then:

3 hours ago, toon25 said:

It's also that they've now turned to effectively hoovering up talent from local clubs and then pushing them on for pure profit later down the line without ever giving them a chance.

It's decimating academies and youth programmes at Football League clubs - those that are left anyway. 

Edit: Chelsea must rank as one of the fucking worst in this regard.

…in here. You cannot have it both ways, lads :lol:

6 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

It’s interesting reading all the above in the Youth thread and then:

…in here. You cannot have it both ways, lads :lol:

Shitcan FFP and we won’t have to go scalping youngsters from other clubs…

59 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

The bosses at Chelsea are panicking.  They’re going, “cut back, lose some players. That’s the way forward. That’ll save us money. “

But who’s to say signing more players won’t save Chelsea money in the long run? Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No. He turns up in a newer car. Perception

They’ve got to trust Boehly he’s leading Chelsea into battle. 

Jerry Orbach GIF

Is it bad that most of your posts now even the non office quotes, I just hear as Brent or was that always the intention. 😂

Edited by alexf

Pretty much easy street for Man City these days, almost any player will agree terms with them, they have the finances to pay for any player so it’s really just a case of seeing what position they need then getting them in after they’ve established themselves as an outstanding player