Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Clubs are free to offer 5+ year contracts. But for FFP it can only be amortised over 5 years.  

We’ll just see more 5+1 type transfers with minimal criteria.  So we sign Isak on a 5+1 contract.  At the end of the first season we activate the extension. So for a year it’s amortised over 5 years. But by year 2 it’s 6 years.  

Looks like FFP is starting to affect the clubs that brought it in to keep us down, Arteta is saying they can't sign a striker because of it. The Saudis kept the market going last summer by injecting cash into it, that looks like it will slow down dramatically.

The big European clubs are desperate for additional investment now the TV deals are starting to go down but they have snookered themselves with their own rules.

20 minutes ago, Ben said:

Looks like FFP is starting to affect the clubs that brought it in to keep us down, Arteta is saying they can't sign a striker because of it. The Saudis kept the market going last summer by injecting cash into it, that looks like it will slow down dramatically.

The big European clubs are desperate for additional investment now the TV deals are starting to go down but they have snookered themselves with their own rules.

Tbf it’s only clubs that are chasing that are up against it. The likes of City have loads of FFP wriggle room. 

10 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Brighton don’t sign 19 year old £30m left backs and leave them on the bench. 

If they stay at Brighton - they get minutes. If not they are loaned out. 

They haven't always done that. Granted, De Zerbi seems far more willing to chuck a player into the side than Potter did.

I think if we'd bought Hall outright, he'd have probably been loaned out this season.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They haven't always done that. Granted, De Zerbi seems far more willing to chuck a player into the side than Potter did.

I think if we'd bought Hall outright, he'd have probably been loaned out this season.

We can also say that things haven't worked out quite as planned. But Hall is still a kid with plenty of time to improve and show value.

It's the fact we have glaring holes in the squad in other positions that's the real issue with the Hall transfer. Hall having a slow start is ok.

I would like to see him loaned out next season. A full season in the Champ or PL. He needs to find a position or two he can play at a high level. Especially physically and mentally he doesn't look ready to me. Same with Miley.

As good as Livra is technically, Mentally and physically he's sharp. It's like he decides before the game - "I'm locking down this winger and then I'm going to play". He's up for the battle mentally and physically to impact the game both ways. Having a full season of men's football has helped with that.

34 minutes ago, joeyt said:

We need to actually sign Hall first before thinking of loaning him out

Loaning out a 30m+ signing also makes zero sense. He will have had a year to adapt and I’m sure will be more trusted in the second half of this season/next ala Gordon. 

Barco set for medical and sign for Brighton. $10m is a crazy good deal on paper. Been a lot of talk about us having scouts here and there in South America but we don’t seem to sign any players from there despite all the talk and links (yet anyway). 

Edited by Ikon

On 22/12/2023 at 23:29, Disco said:

Fodderingham gas to be a candidate for worst ever PL starting keeper. Absolutely terrible.

Latest from Sky Sports News' senior reporter Rob Dorsett:

Sheffield United are interested in exploring a deal with Leicester City for goalkeeper Danny Ward.

:trippier:

Edited by joeyt

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

Barco set for medical and sign for Brighton. $10m is a crazy good deal on paper. Been a lot of talk about us having scouts here and there in South America but we don’t seem to sign any players from there despite all the talk and links (yet anyway). 

Highly rated too, seems a canny find. 

Can anyone give a bit of a run down on the Werner transfer? I havnt seen much of him this season, a brief look at his data suggests he’s underperformed recently after being consistently fit and putting up decent numbers last season. 

On 07/01/2024 at 23:02, The College Dropout said:

Clubs are free to offer 5+ year contracts. But for FFP it can only be amortised over 5 years.  

We’ll just see more 5+1 type transfers with minimal criteria.  So we sign Isak on a 5+1 contract.  At the end of the first season we activate the extension. So for a year it’s amortised over 5 years. But by year 2 it’s 6 years.  

Pretty sure it doesn’t work like that and transfer fees are amortised over the length of their initial contract only.

Nvm, it does! Our accounts are fairly vague about it, but Chelsea’s explicitly state the remaining book value is amortised over the new length of any renegotiated contract.

2 hours ago, Nine said:

Can anyone give a bit of a run down on the Werner transfer? I havnt seen much of him this season, a brief look at his data suggests he’s underperformed recently after being consistently fit and putting up decent numbers last season. 

There’s a new Athletic podcast that covers it pretty well.

IIRC RB Leipzig signed him then sacked the manager a couple of months later in late 2022. Then this year he had a few injuries and they signed some forwards which reduced his game time (there might have been a change in the tactics as well, can’t remember).

He’s out of the German side with a home Euros coming up, which he’s desperate to play in and so needs games. Supposedly Ange convinced him and thinks he’ll play a big part. The podcast talks about a couple of reasons why his game might suit Ange. It also suggested that there weren’t really any suitable teams in Germany that might have taken him on.

From Leipzig’s POV presumably they can get a high earner off the books who’s not really part of their plans, and they don’t feel they can get a good fee from anywhere. From our POV it‘s a bit of a no-brainer - he seems to fit the system, is experienced and direct, and if nothing else he can cover for Son over the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

Nvm, it does! Our accounts are fairly vague about it, but Chelsea’s explicitly state the remaining book value is amortised over the new length of any renegotiated contract.

Aye. So even if Bruno doubles his wages, adding another 3 years to his contract and stretching out the fee contribution means he probably remains at a similar figure from a FFP perspective.  

I don’t remember how long his contract was extended for but you get the idea.