Other clubs' transfers

Greg

This deal to gazump Chelsea was all the more delightful after I saw a bunch of content by Chelsea fans insulting Brighton for having ideas above their station and daring to demand £100 million.

Love this for Brighton. Setting the standard of absolutely rinsing these 'big clubs' when they come for players.

Just now, KaKa said:

This deal to gazump Chelsea was all the more delightful after I saw a bunch of content by Chelsea fans insulting Brighton for having ideas above their station and daring to demand £100 million.

Love this for Brighton. Setting the standard of absolutely rinsing these 'big clubs' when they come for players.

Absolutely kaka couldn’t agree more. It definitely feels like once bitten twice shy by Boehly who previously had no issues steaming into transfers and paying daft sums. 

Just now, Froggy said:

The midfield certainly was. Put Alisson in instead of Steele, Salah in instead of Welbeck etc. etc. 

Just think it's foolish to write off that midfield at this point. Especially when they're all so young and are going to play under one of the most annoying but ultimately one of the best coaches in the world.

While I do think there is a potential massive upside to these transfers, like you say, if it clicks, it could really click.

I just think with the money they're paying it's a massive risk (I think similar about Rice fyi), there is also a slight trend that when players leave the confines of Brighton and their very specific club play style and mantra, that they tend to not get back to the point they where at at Brighton.

Jurgen Klopp, who said this after Manchester United brought Pogba back for silly money:

“The day that spending £100m is football, I'm not in a job anymore, because the game is about playing together. That is how everybody in football understands it. You always want to have the best, but building the group is necessary to be successful. If you bring one player in for £100m and he gets injured, then it all goes through the chimney. Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players. I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money.”

4 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Nearly double our transfer record. We're nowhere near being able to compete for these types of players. So much pressure on EH to bridge the gap with genius coaching and fitness levels others struggle to get near. I prefer it this way, fuck the ESL cunts.

It's really not necessary to spend this way, but once these so called 'big clubs' get some money in they just can't help themselves. They'll always pay top rate for players already proven in the premier league.

We will compete with them doing exactly what we've been doing.

Brighton have figured out a model to identify these players from all over the globe for incredible value and I find them absolutely terrifying to be honest. They have started targeting higher profile players and are going to start climbing to even higher levels.

In the last year they have received around £200 million for Potter, Cucurella and Caicedo who together cost them less than £20 million I believe.

3 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Jurgen Klopp, who said this after Manchester United brought Pogba back for silly money:

“The day that spending £100m is football, I'm not in a job anymore, because the game is about playing together. That is how everybody in football understands it. You always want to have the best, but building the group is necessary to be successful. If you bring one player in for £100m and he gets injured, then it all goes through the chimney. Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players. I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money.”

Will blame it on the Saudis.

8 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Adams for £20 plus whatever they end up paying for Lavia will be far less. 

To be fair I do like Adams and Lavia, and so they likely will be fine.

However, this debacle is humiliating for them, which is fantastic. Also at this moment in time Caicedo is the highest calibre player. Great mixture of youth, experience and was a key player in a fantastic side that plays the sort of football these buying clubs are aiming to.

Football is absolutely mental. What the fuck is going on? How on earth is Caicedo going for £110m? I rate him but that fee makes zero sense. The game off the pitch has become an absolute pantomime madness

Just now, gbandit said:

Football is absolutely mental. What the fuck is going on? How on earth is Caicedo going for £110m? I rate him but that fee makes zero sense. The game off the pitch has become an absolute pantomime madness

Liverpool and Chelsea are both interesting. They absolutely must have champions league football given they are both owned by ownership which both want to exit at some point. 

I do wonder how Boehly and Egbahli are going to make money though, they really are betting premier league clubs can be worth as much as US franchises. 

It’s concerning that £100m fees are being normalised, but I think it’s reasonable that he goes for the same sort of price as Enzo and Rice. If I was given a choice out of the 3 now I would probably go Caicedo.

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I'm quite comfortable with these top clubs spending this way tbh. I'm really beginning to think we catch them quicker this way. 

That Caicedo money is what we pretty much spent on Isak, Bruno and Botman.

I watched the Arsenal Vs Monaco game the other week and the Monaco DM Youssouf Fofana was outstanding, a player I have liked a lot for a few seasons now, but one clubs have been hesitant on similar to how they were on Bruno. Fofana would cost around £35 million.

He's sat there while Rice and Caicedo have gone for over £100 million.

We will catch these jokers. 

Edited by KaKa

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It's crazy.When you compare the fee to Bellingham, Rice, or even Kanes agreed price, 110M is insane...

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

It’s concerning that £100m fees are being normalised, but I think it’s reasonable that he goes for the same sort of price as Enzo and Rice. If I was given a choice out of the 3 now I would probably go Caicedo.

But you'd think that the Rice transfer includes the standard "English Player Tax".... 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Btw, if your Southampton and you have a modicum of intelligence your Lavia price has just increased a lot. :lol:

Kind of, but their options are limited due to the relegation and everyone will know that..

1 minute ago, BlazeT44 said:

Kind of, but their options are limited due to the relegation and everyone will know that..

Not really given they have parachute payments plus the moolah from Ward Prowse and Tino. Also they were never big spenders so shouldn’t have the financial pressures.