Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Levy being an absolute cunt to deal with does mean he gets the most out of sales like that has to be said, it makes sense. I can't help but wonder though if their underwhelming business signing players is because Levy has pissed off so many club chairman they struggle to buy players. Brighton have the opposite approach, not that they don't squeeze value (see Caicedo) but they are generally happy to sell if the right amount comes and proffessional for other clubs to deal with. They get the rewards because young players see them as a really attractive proposition, clear pathway to first team, excellent coaching, and when they want to make a big money move the club will help them along. 

The Brighton model only works as long as the production line is in line with the sales. I do think they'll have a poor season or two, and equally clubs may realize that players are part of a sophisticated system and maybe they won't look so good playing for someone else. There is no reason Brighton if they keep their quality can't win a cup, even if they are never going to have the finances to compete for the very top. 

Not sure why, but I feel weirdly proud of Harry Kane actually. He's made a difficult decision to leave Spurs and I really hope it works out well for him.

Definitely don't want Bayern in our UCL group now.

34 minutes ago, Ben said:

Who was that Spanish chairman a few years ago that was a right cunt to deal with ? He used to go for a siesta during negotiations and then just not go back.

Didn’t think it was Gil. Was it not the Deportivo chairman? Used to have negotiate at weird hours of the day if I recall. Like 2am for Luque 🙂 Could be wrong but definitely rings a bell.

4 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Levy being an absolute cunt to deal with does mean he gets the most out of sales like that has to be said, it makes sense. I can't help but wonder though if their underwhelming business signing players is because Levy has pissed off so many club chairman they struggle to buy players. Brighton have the opposite approach, not that they don't squeeze value (see Caicedo) but they are generally happy to sell if the right amount comes and proffessional for other clubs to deal with. They get the rewards because young players see them as a really attractive proposition, clear pathway to first team, excellent coaching, and when they want to make a big money move the club will help them along. 

The Brighton model only works as long as the production line is in line with the sales. I do think they'll have a poor season or two, and equally clubs may realize that players are part of a sophisticated system and maybe they won't look so good playing for someone else. There is no reason Brighton if they keep their quality can't win a cup, even if they are never going to have the finances to compete for the very top. 

Surely would have been better sorting this deal out ages ago though even if it was for slightly less money? To do it on the first day of the season when Kane seemed to have agreed terms with Bayern ages ago seems a bit mad. The only reason it's probably not dragged out to deadline day is due to Kane saying he'd not be leaving if he's a Spurs player come the first game of the season. 

Levy seems to be someone who has to be seen as 'winning' or having the power even if it's to the detriment of the club. Same reason he put Ryan Mason in charge of a cup final over the possibility of Mourinho winning it. 

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Didn’t think it was Gil. Was it not the Deportivo chairman? Used to have negotiate at weird hours of the day if I recall. Like 2am for Luque 🙂 Could be wrong but definitely rings a bell.

Arh shit I think you could be right 

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

About £80m each.

If they both have good seasons this year then probably £120m.

Bruno is £100 million minimum already.

Isak if he stays fit will be too expensive to purchase. It would have to be completely daft money. His mixture of size, balance, speed, technique and composure is exceptional. Just needs a full season to show it all.

I think it’s a weird move for Kane, winning the German league is OK but it’s nothing on the Man City and Madrid moves that has been talked about. 

Feels like he missed the optimum time to leave when he failed to join Man City. 

That said, if Bayern win the CL he’s obviously going to be a legend. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it’s a weird move for Kane, winning the German league is OK but it’s nothing on the Man City and Madrid moves that has been talked about. 

I really thought he’d wait for Madrid. But the way I see it is that it’s the best of both worlds for him and his family going to Bayern as well. On the family side, Munich is an excellent city, he doesn’t really need to learn the language and there’s good English speaking schools for the kids. Football wise he’s playing for an elite club, that’s guaranteed four seasons of having a realistic chance of winning the champions league

7 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I really thought he’d wait for Madrid. But the way I see it is that it’s the best of both worlds for him and his family going to Bayern as well. On the family side, Munich is an excellent city, he doesn’t really need to learn the language and there’s good English speaking schools for the kids. Football wise he’s playing for an elite club, that’s guaranteed four seasons of having a realistic chance of winning the champions league

He still needs to learn the language.

Just now, andyc35i said:

No doubt he will and this is a great opportunity for him. I just think it’s a really good move for him and his family all in all 

Yeah I agree it's a good move, just if he wants to make it a success he'll need to integrate with the local culture etc.

3 hours ago, 54 said:

While I do think there is a potential massive upside to these transfers, like you say, if it clicks, it could really click.

I just think with the money they're paying it's a massive risk (I think similar about Rice fyi), there is also a slight trend that when players leave the confines of Brighton and their very specific club play style and mantra, that they tend to not get back to the point they where at at Brighton.

Like Ben White, Trossard and Dan Burn?

All 3 have been far better than I expected too. 

I think Caicedo is HIM.  Great player.  Maybe not £100m but £80m or so.  

26 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Feels like he missed the optimum time to leave when he failed to join Man City. 

That said, if Bayern win the CL he’s obviously going to be a legend. 

Bayern is a massive club, and if they win CL he will be contender for Ballon d'Or.

Some journalist lauding Liverpool got out negotiating Chelsea for Caicedo; what by saying here there’s 111M to Brighton? Great negotiating. I’ve no idea why he’s that expensive, we’ll soon find out though. 

I hope Liverpool have a stinker of a season again after they’re whinging and then simply going out throwing dollar all over the place. Poor little Liverpool.