Other clubs' transfers

Greg

When you look at that Athletic article about Barcelonas accounts they really can't afford Messi and it looks like the system the league has set up for all their clubs will genuinely help them.

What's his actual wage?  If you pay him 500k p/w that's 26m a year.  Ok there's more on top but a lot of teams could afford that I reckon, guess the thing will be he'll only go where he thinks he can win the CL.

Chelsea & Manyoo should be kicking his door down as we speak imo.

2 hours ago, Paully said:

More jealousy for Villa! Great stuff this - imagine a club that communicates?

I thought this was great too. 

Clearly explained exactly what happened and why. Everyone back on board again. 

I know he had his knockers at Liverpool and Chelsea but Purslow has been brilliant from day one with us. 

17 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Chelsea & Manyoo should be kicking his door down as we speak imo.

Zero chance from our end. Goes against everything we've been trying to implement. Couldn't afford it either.

11 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Zero chance from our end. Goes against everything we've been trying to implement. Couldn't afford it either.

Are you sure about that?  Messi noodle sponsor, Messi preferred tractor, Messi branded manyoo fedora.

Seems pretty on brand to me.

10 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Are you sure about that?  Messi noodle sponsor, Messi preferred tractor, Messi branded manyoo fedora.

Seems pretty on brand to me.

I meant more of a wage structure. Handing out massive contracts for star players such as Sanchez. It massively backfired.

We are 100% not signing Messi. :lol: It would be nice mind.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I meant more of a wage structure. Handing out massive contracts for star players such as Sanchez. It massively backfired.

We are 100% not signing Messi. :lol: It would be nice mind.

I know I'm just dicking about.  It's fucking Messi though, on a free :lol:

My mind is broken with the idea that anyone with the means wouldn't be on a plane right now.

Weird thing is there aren’t many clubs I actually want Messi to sign for.

would love something slightly out the blue like Napoli, but he’s probably going to want to sign for an elite club.

Would he sign for another team in Spain? Obviously not Madrid, but maybe Atleti? Join up with fellow argentine Simeone? Manchester City it PSG seem like the most likely destinations. A front three of………

Neymar                                 M’bappe

Messi

5 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Think you're right.  But still, Messi & Ron together would surely net you some amount of cash in itself.

It's probably about £1.8m a week in wages too mind. :lol:

I honestly think the players at Barca should all have sacrificed say 15% of their salaries in order to keep him - I know it’s not their fault but surely you would pull off alll the stops internally 

8 hours ago, Disco said:

Know exactly what you mean. I always get the feeling that beyond the ultras and despite some clubs getting decent attendances that folk don’t care that much. 

Germany feels similar to a much lesser degree albeit the country obviously has a much bigger and more genuine football culture.

Saint-Etienne is different, from what I’ve seen.

One of the biggest problems with having a single powerhouse club is how little interest the rest of the league holds to neutral, more casual, outsiders. In the PL, you've got "the six" and therefore if you just watch those, you're still going to see a lot of the other clubs - you might still watch Burnley ten times a season, and subsequently gain a passing interest in their fortunes.

In France, if you're only really interested in PSG as the one club with significant interest outside France, all the other games between all the other teams pass you by. That's a huge amount of games going by unless you're really invested in French football.

One of the trump cards Serie A has always held, even when the league was in the doldrums, is its history, they've got loads of historically significant clubs, even mid table teams like Fiorentina, Torino, Sampdoria. Almost nothing in France. Nobody gives the slightest shit about Reims or Lorient or Angers, and the league gives them no reason to start.