Other clubs' transfers

Greg

I was always of the opinion that defensive midfielders and CBs should never go for crazy money because they just aren't difference makers at that price point. However Van Dijk proved me wrong at CB, so maybe Rice will prove me wrong too.

This is a really boring take and does nothing for the generally frenzied discourse around transfers: but, in cases like this (where the player is clearly extremely talented), I don't think you can really make any conclusions about their transfer fee until you're in a position to judge their impact.

There are some signings where it's obvious that someone has overpaid (eg Drinkwater, Torres) or got a bargain (eg Trippier) but when you're at this scale, it all depends on the outcome. If they win the league within the next two or three years with Rice at the base of the midfield, then it's been value for money. If they drift back into the sub-title race for 4th over the next few years, you wonder what the point was. 

You can acknowledge the gamble given the amount but I don't think anyone can say they've overpaid, yet. 

36 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

This is a really boring take and does nothing for the generally frenzied discourse around transfers: but, in cases like this (where the player is clearly extremely talented), I don't think you can really make any conclusions about their transfer fee until you're in a position to judge their impact.

There are some signings where it's obvious that someone has overpaid (eg Drinkwater, Torres) or got a bargain (eg Trippier) but when you're at this scale, it all depends on the outcome. If they win the league within the next two or three years with Rice at the base of the midfield, then it's been value for money. If they drift back into the sub-title race for 4th over the next few years, you wonder what the point was. 

You can acknowledge the gamble given the amount but I don't think anyone can say they've overpaid, yet. 

Debatable whether Arsenal can win the title no matter who they sign TBH, at least while Pep is still at Man City. Guess they have to try. 

5 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Three seasons, 19 league goals in 90 league games for Chelsea.

Its not like he has been playing in a poor team either? ( This season apart)

Chelsea have had so much inconsistency from their wide players and attacking midfielders for a while now. They have not been convincing creating chances going forward.

Havertz at Leverkusen played in a more technical team that created chances and he scored near 20 goals there when he was just 20 years old, playing in attacking mid.

Think he will play that sort of role again taking over from Xhaka, and in that Arsenal team that use the ball so much better and create a lot more, I think he will score goals and look far more useful.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Chelsea have had so much inconsistency from their wide players and attacking midfielders for a while now. They have not been convincing creating chances going forward.

Havertz at Leverkusen played in a more technical team that created chances and he scored near 20 goals there when he was just 20 years old, playing in attacking mid.

Think he will play that sort of role again taking over from Xhaka, and in that Arsenal team that use the ball so much better and create a lot more, I think he will score goals and look far more useful.

I hear you but... Just don't like him so going with my take  lol

0_GettyImages-1244721471.jpg

2 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

My two pennies on Arsenal...

I didn't once look at Arsenals performance last year and think they needed a Cdm or CF ...( Pretty much like I never thought we needed David Batty and Asprilla back in the day but that's another story lol)

Maybe they needed to replace a couple of outgoings but just think there was better value then 170 million for the two they bought.

But if it means they are now out of the market for other player's thats great news for us.

Partey and Zhaka are bobbins, Rice is a huge upgrade on that pair. he will give the security they lacked in the big games.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm talking about how much Rice is worth though, and if you could get a more transformative midfielder for a more reasonable price. I think Rice is great and (as has been mentioned) him being pigeonholed as a defensive CDM as he was a year or so ago never made any sense.

Totally. Players who single handedly increase the probability of you winning are worth big money. I think he is one. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Where/how do you think Havertz will play?

RCM or ACM like he did with success for Leverkusen. There's definitely a top top player in there - he has just been used awfully wrong in Chelsea as a lone striker or false 9. Maybe they have played him there because of his ability to win headers and hold up the ball. Read somewhere that outside the CB's in the PL only Soucek, Toney and Mitrovic have won more aerial duels than him this season.  

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

He’s going there, like. Absolutely perfect for them. We won’t pay the release clause.

I feel like we’ll end up in a worse position squad-wise relative to our competitors this season. 

I would judge that at the end of the transfer window not end of June. Howe, Ashworth et al have done pretty well so far, I’m not worried at all.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

He’s going there, like. Absolutely perfect for them. We won’t pay the release clause.

I feel like we’ll end up in a worse position squad-wise relative to our competitors this season. 

Just let it play out, we will have a better squad by the time the transfer window closes. We already do in fact 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Debatable whether Arsenal can win the title no matter who they sign TBH, at least while Pep is still at Man City. Guess they have to try. 

The money they've spent the last 3-4 years, last season should be the minimum for them. They're going to be adding another £200m or so to that now, they should be either winning the league or pushing Man City even closer. 

Unfortunately for Arsenal they have Arteta at the helm. He was one of the main deciding factors in them not pushing harder for the title in the end. He needs to learn to keep his shit together on the sidelines and set a better precedent from the top if they ever want to actually win the whole thing with him there. 

Edited by cubaricho