Other clubs' transfers

Greg

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

If you need explaining why rice is class :lol: Jesus Christ. He’s not overated at all. He’s a world class center mid, incredibly durable, one of the best ball winners, readers of the game, great passer and dribbler and who will probably transform that arsenal midfield this season. 

People who don’t rate him don’t know ball

Seems the managers of the clubs 1st and 2nd do though unlike this internet fuckwits surprise surprise

2 hours ago, tgarve said:

People who don’t rate him don’t know ball

Seems the managers of the clubs 1st and 2nd do though unlike this internet fuckwits surprise surprise

Nee need to get your knickers in a twist and throw insults around like 😉.  It’s a huge fee, people are wondering if he’s really that level. I mean we’re now talking better than Bellingham with that fee. 

Edited by AJ9

5 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Pretty sure he's top in the league for interceptions and interceptions and ball carries combined. 

Think he's known as a DM but he's a lot more than that really. He's one of the few midfielders that have bossed a  game against us when they came up here last season. 

It's an expensive fee but with his age and he's pretty much a guaranteed success I think it's a great signing for them. Much better than Caecido would be at £70m.

He we also part of a midfield that lost 1-5 to us like, but I take your points on board. Maybe I’ve watched too much of him for England under Southgate tbh and judged him on that, where he’s looked nothing special at all, while we’ve been passed off the park by better technical players when we’ve met better sides. 

With West Ham, I would imagine he’s having to do a lot of work intercepting and carrying because of the way they’ve played and generally allowed teams to come onto them, and with also little in the way of effective attacking systems. He’s looked pretty Roy of the Rovers because that’s what he’s been basically tasked with - carrying a team on his back. Now of course you can take that and say, well if he does that at West Ham, he will be world class at Arsenal, because that’ll be him doing that in a better side. Fine, yep, I take that logic. I also don’t think I know more than Pep or Arteta. I’m just intrigued to see whether Rice will be brilliant in a side where there is less demand on the things we all know he is good at, and instead asked to be a world class deep playmaker in a team that dominates possession. Obviously we will find out soon.

To be clear, I’m not calling him as shite, he’s very good at what he does, I just don’t know whether I see a £105 mill / world class midfielder. I’m aware his stats are league leading in some aspects as well.

Maybe I’m just a fuckwit though…

Edited by AJ9

31 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Nee news to get your knickers in a twist and throw insults around like 😉.  It’s a huge fee, people are wondering if he’s really that level. I mean we’re now talking better than Bellingham with that fee. 

Tbf, Rice has been bossing midfields in the Premier League for the last few years, Bellingham has played in the Championship and Bundesliga. 

Anyway, I’ll step out of this now! Who knew Declan Rice could inspire such thought and debate at 6am? Questioning my life here 🤣

Edited by AJ9

If he starts scoring or creating he'd be worth it like, but atm he's a box to box player who is really limited in the final 3rd. And although he's a good passer across the pitch, he's not very creative from deep either.

He's a Kante type midfielder really, exceptional at winning possession and driving up the pitch, or knocking it someone in a better position.

The reason Tonali excites me (and I would never dream of saying he's better than Rice at this stage :lol:) is that to go along with all of that, he looks to be able to ping the ball over the top well from deep as well as cause damage around the box.

For over £100m you can surely find a player who is defensively sound, great ball carrier, but far better technically.

50 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Nee need to get your knickers in a twist and throw insults around like 😉.  It’s a huge fee, people are wondering if he’s really that level. I mean we’re now talking better than Bellingham with that fee. 

And Camavinga and Tchoumani too, if we’re using the fee metric. It’s absolute madness, the fee. 

5 hours ago, triggs said:

It's 41 in 34 games if he plays every game. Strongly doubt he'll break that

Lewandowski got 41 in 29. It’s a poor league and Kane’s a great finisher- every bit as good as the (then) 33 year old Lewandowski

Just now, triggs said:

That was prime Lewandowski who I don't think Kane is as good as

He was 33? It was only the 20/21 season. Lewandowski is an awesome finisher, but they’re pretty comparable I’d say. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that a 30 year old prime Kane could do it. He hit 30 this year in a harder league and in a lesser team 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They said she was barmy. 

She definitely is like. I’ve seen her comment on a bunch of things and I don’t think I’ve ever agreed with her. The idea that Pep is doing Arteta a favour by artificially raising the price of a player and creating a bidding war then dropping out is insane. Maybe that works when you’re throwing pennies around but not £100m+

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Rice is class. But not £110m class. For that money you would want a higher ceiling imo. But he’ll do well. 

Agreed.

Rice is very good at what he does, but he isn't a £100 million plus footballer.

Edited by The Prophet

16 minutes ago, Manxst said:

He was 33? It was only the 20/21 season. Lewandowski is an awesome finisher, but they’re pretty comparable I’d say. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that a 30 year old prime Kane could do it. He hit 30 this year in a harder league and in a lesser team 

33 isn't really old for a striker anymore. It was his best season like Benzema's best season was in his 30s

1 minute ago, triggs said:

33 isn't really old for a striker anymore. It was his best season like Benzema's best season was in his 30s

Suppose it depends on the league, but I do tend to agree that top players can stay at an elite level for longer

My two pennies on Arsenal...

I didn't once look at Arsenals performance last year and think they needed a Cdm or CF ...( Pretty much like I never thought we needed David Batty and Asprilla back in the day but that's another story lol)

Maybe they needed to replace a couple of outgoings but just think there was better value then 170 million for the two they bought.

But if it means they are now out of the market for other player's thats great news for us.

7 minutes ago, triggs said:

Certainly isn’t ‘old’ if you’re both a decent player AND play for Bayern/Real. Put Lewandowski into Spurs and he’d be hitting similar figures to Kane. 

8 hours ago, Kanji said:

If you need explaining why rice is class :lol: Jesus Christ. He’s not overated at all. He’s a world class center mid, incredibly durable, one of the best ball winners, readers of the game, great passer and dribbler and who will probably transform that arsenal midfield this season. 

I think we see him having the freedom to move forward a bit more than he did at WH, and we will see another side of his game! Yaya-esque.

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

She definitely is like. I’ve seen her comment on a bunch of things and I don’t think I’ve ever agreed with her. The idea that Pep is doing Arteta a favour by artificially raising the price of a player and creating a bidding war then dropping out is insane. Maybe that works when you’re throwing pennies around but not £100m+

It sounds outlandish. But she has infinitely more experience in that side of the game than you or me. So how you can know for sure in a game as crooked as football, I don’t know.

She was right in the sense that the City bid was at best fanciful and at worst weird. If they really wanted him, they would have him. So what was that all about?

Also what you are saying isn’t what she’s saying. She’s not artificial raising the price. She’s coaxing her club to come closer to the price that the selling club will sell for. 

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If he starts scoring or creating he'd be worth it like, but atm he's a box to box player who is really limited in the final 3rd. And although he's a good passer across the pitch, he's not very creative from deep either.

He's a Kante type midfielder really, exceptional at winning possession and driving up the pitch, or knocking it someone in a better position.

The reason Tonali excites me (and I would never dream of saying he's better than Rice at this stage :lol:) is that to go along with all of that, he looks to be able to ping the ball over the top well from deep as well as cause damage around the box.

For over £100m you can surely find a player who is defensively sound, great ball carrier, but far better technically.

I think he is a game changer, literally and figuratively. Round peg in a round hole, you don’t have to score the goals to ensure the team wins. 

3 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

I think we see him having the freedom to move forward a bit more than he did at WH, and we will see another side of his game! Yaya-esque.

Doesn’t have the technical ability. Or the close control.  

11 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

My two pennies on Arsenal...

I didn't once look at Arsenals performance last year and think they needed a Cdm or CF ...( Pretty much like I never thought we needed David Batty and Asprilla back in the day but that's another story lol)

Maybe they needed to replace a couple of outgoings but just think there was better value then 170 million for the two they bought.

But if it means they are now out of the market for other player's thats great news for us.

I think what boosts Rice appeal is that he could probably play CB and 8 if needed. 

Likewise with Havertz he can play in that 8/10 position Odegaard and Xhaka played last season.  He can play off either wing. He can play false 9. 

I don’t think either are coming in to strictly play DM or striker. Havertz isn’t even a striker. 

10 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I think he is a game changer, literally and figuratively. Round peg in a round hole, you don’t have to score the goals to ensure the team wins. 

I'm talking about how much Rice is worth though, and if you could get a more transformative midfielder for a more reasonable price. I think Rice is great and (as has been mentioned) him being pigeonholed as a defensive CDM as he was a year or so ago never made any sense.