Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

How much money would have been about acceptable to give him back in the summer do you think? We spent 45 million in the summer after being given 50 million of what we recouped in the championship to spend there too.

If by some miracle we do give him about 20-30 million to spend in this window (I know) is 75-80 million not an acceptable amount for a newly promoted club to spend to stay up? Would he be failing if he didn't deliver then?

Not an anti or pro Rafa post, just interested in what everyone thinks is acceptable money wise.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think the bigger issue at our club is how much we are willing or unwilling to pay in wages and not so much on fees...

How much money would have been about acceptable to give him back in the summer do you think? We spent 45 million in the summer after being given 50 million of what we recouped in the championship to spend there too.

If by some miracle we do give him about 20-30 million to spend in this window (I know) is 75-80 million not an acceptable amount for a newly promoted club to spend to stay up? Would he be failing if he didn't deliver then?

Not an anti or pro Rafa post, just interested in what everyone thinks is acceptable money wise.

If he'd got it in the summer you might have a point. Half the season's gone now.

It isn't as simple as 'how much money he got' though. Firstly, I'm sure the net was nowhere near £45m, but it's also the breakdown in communication, the broken promises, never knowing what his budget was, fucking off signings he'd already signed and sealed, etc etc. Baring in mind at least two of McCarthy/Delph/Townsend should have already been through the door this time a year ago.

Fwiw, back in June I didn't think it would require a quite significant net spend in order to keep us in the division. I was wrong about that, granted; but like I say - if the board were more transparent with the manager, he probably could have used his resources better.

“If we have the players to attack, we attack,” said Benitez. “But you have to defend against the best team in the country, you have to defend.

“We’re not Liverpool, we’re not Arsenal. We don’t have five players who will win a game on their own. Managers have to manage in the way they have to manage.

“My first game with Extremadura was against Barcelona – we lost 1-0, but we played 4-4-2, we pressed high, the difference between that and now is massive. The gap between the best teams and the rest is bigger. There is a massive difference between the rest and the top six.”

Why are they continuing to question this man for goodness sake?! Such an insult to his intelligence.

Wish he would just laugh at them when they start asking him this bollox.

A bit strange to say that Rafa will have no excuses if we get three players in before the end of the window.  One of these players is Kenedy - who, good as he might be, is unlikely to turn our season.  And it might have been helpful to have had these players in the door in the summer rather than with a third of the season left.

A bit strange to say that Rafa will have no excuses if we get three players in before the end of the window.  One of these players is Kenedy - who, good as he might be, is unlikely to turn our season.  And it might have been helpful to have had these players in the door in the summer rather than with a third of the season left.

Give Rafa the players he wants, and I think he'd happily take full responsibility for keeping us up, even with half a season wasted.

Didn't know whether to post this in here or SNWOAT, but this video was uploaded in February 2015, in Rafa's last season at Napoli.

Looking at the clubs he's managed, Real Madrid aside, they're all working class cities that live and breathe football; 2 of them one club cities, Napoli and Newcastle. He must love the passion and infatuation the people of the cities have for football, it's all they have. Everything around the cities is built on football. Love the fact he likes that.

I bloody well hope he's here for years and that he sees out Ashley. Should that happen he's going to go down as our greatest manager of all time, I'm sure. I f***ing love the man. :smitten:

Didn't know whether to post this in here or SNWOAT, but this video was uploaded in February 2015, in Rafa's last season at Napoli.

Looking at the clubs he's managed, Real Madrid aside, they're all working class cities that live and breathe football; 2 of them one club cities, Napoli and Newcastle. He must love the passion and infatuation the people of the cities have for football, it's all they have. Everything around the cities is built on football. Love the fact he likes that.

I bloody well hope he's here for years and that he sees out Ashley. Should that happen he's going to go down as our greatest manager of all time, I'm sure. I f***ing love the man. :smitten:

Streets behind Robson,Keegan and Joe Harvey on that scale

He's suggesting that he would win a trophy, which would automatically make him better than Keegan and Robson.

Not just trophies; what he's already done for the club. Staying on in the Championship to bring us back up when he didn't have to. Bringing fans back from apathy to caring about the club again. Potentially being the centrepiece of a takeover, and seeing out the cancer on this football club that is Mike Ashley. Seeing the potential of this football club and wanting to realise it as a project, even under Ashley.

I doubt someone who called him the "Spanish Tony Pulis" earlier this season would see it in that way though.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's suggesting that he would win a trophy, which would automatically make him better than Keegan and Robson.

Not KK. He took over a 3rd division club really and turned it into a title challenger playing the best football we will ever see, revolutionising our club and changing the whole mindset of a dumbed down, defeatist and totally exhausted fan base into believing that their club can be the best and biggest club in the world and that this should always be the aim.

I sincerely doubt anyone will be as good for us as KK was even if they won the league, certainly not as important to the club historically.

I hold Rafa in the same ilk as Hughton at the moment, obviously he’s a much better manager, but he has a long long way to go to be considered up there with KK and Sir Bobby. Mind, he’s now at a club that doesn’t want to do anything but stay up where as those two managed an ambitious club that tried to and wanted to compete and we did, falling short obviously.

He already has won a trophy. As did Keegan. Before anybody diminishes them, they both felt like winning something to me. To be honest though, having to put up with the soap opera that is NUFC, I would actually trade consistent competitive seasons in the top six for a ‘trophy’ of any kind. I want to go back to worrying about whether we’ll qualify for Europe, rather than whether we’ll be relegated. Being disappointed as we chalk up our seventh loss and miss out on a serious title challenge, again. Feel the sense of pride (disbelief) in realising that we can give anyone a game on our day.  I wonder whether most boro fans would trade their league cup for something similar.

It’s a stupid comparison I guess. But with Rafa we have the chance to achieve such status once again (the brief but sweet taste of it we had) and the chance to win a cup. Personally, the former seems much more important. Less intense joy but so much more of it spread out over a much longer time.

Nah

Guest Howaythetoon

He already has won a trophy. As did Keegan. Before anybody diminishes them, they both felt like winning something to me. To be honest though, having to put up with the soap opera that is NUFC, I would actually trade consistent competitive seasons in the top six for a ‘trophy’ of any kind. I want to go back to worrying about whether we’ll qualify for Europe, rather than whether we’ll be relegated. Being disappointed as we chalk up our seventh loss and miss out on a serious title challenge, again. Feel the sense of pride (disbelief) in realising that we can give anyone a game on our day.  I wonder whether most boro fans would trade their league cup for something similar.

It’s a stupid comparison I guess. But with Rafa we have the chance to achieve such status once again (the brief but sweet taste of it we had) and the chance to win a cup. Personally, the former seems much more important. Less intense joy but so much more of it spread out over a much longer time.

Rafa deserves to be put on a pedestal for firstly coming to the club and trying to keep us up and then staying and bringing us back up at the first time of asking. This was a huge thing given our owner and the last decade or so at the club. He has United a disenfranchised fan base, given fans a team to at least be proud of or a team to respect if not exactly admire ability wise and has restored belief and hope in the club among fans that had disappeared big time. He has done that not by being a great manager, but by being a great man, a humble man who works extremely hard and knows, understands and values what a football club is all about  - it’s fans.

He’s fucking ace in that respect and if he were to be backed in a similar way to what KK and Sir Bobby both were I’m in no doubt he will be a huge success here and would IMO deliver that elusive long awaited trophy trophy.

I just feel given the context, historical aspect and the football we played and the era, KK will probably never be surpassed as a manager of our club. Someone will win us more than he did/didn’t one day, but we will never ever see a team like that or an era and that was all down to one man really, well two, SJH who gave KK such a free hand. It was mainly down to KK though.

At NUFC the manager needs that free hand to run things, Rafa has that other than funding and sadly that’s why a CL winning manager who is for me one of the best in the world right now, could well see a second relegation of our club on his CV - as good as he is.

We reallymissed the boat when we sacked Sir Bobby or failed to move him upstairs. Liverpool got rid of Houllier and got Rafa in and the rest is history. We got fucking Souness.

I sadly think Valencia and Liverpool saw the best of Rafa and we never will.

Anyway, PL era for me it’s the following:

KK ——————-> SBR —————-> Rafa/Hughton

I’d love nothing better than Rafa to the manager of an ambitious NUFC that wants to compete and tries because he deserves it and so do we. A match made in heaven really!

That takeover has to happen though...

Rafa deserves to be put on a pedestal for firstly coming to the club and trying to keep us up and then staying and bringing us back up at the first time of asking. This was a huge thing given our owner and the last decade or so at the club. He has United a disenfranchised fan base, given fans a team to at least be proud of or a team to respect if not exactly admire ability wise and has restored belief and hope in the club among fans that had disappeared big time. He has done that not by being a great manager, but by being a great man, a humble man who works extremely hard and knows, understands and values what a football club is all about  - it’s fans.

He’s fucking ace in that respect and if he were to be backed in a similar way to what KK and Sir Bobby both were I’m in no doubt he will be a huge success here and would IMO deliver that elusive long awaited trophy trophy.

I just feel given the context, historical aspect and the football we played and the era, KK will probably never be surpassed as a manager of our club. Someone will win us more than he did/didn’t one day, but we will never ever see a team like that or an era and that was all down to one man really, well two, SJH who gave KK such a free hand. It was mainly down to KK though.

At NUFC the manager needs that free hand to run things, Rafa has that other than funding and sadly that’s why a CL winning manager who is for me one of the best in the world right now, could well see a second relegation of our club on his CV - as good as he is.

We reallymissed the boat when we sacked Sir Bobby or failed to move him upstairs. Liverpool got rid of Houllier and got Rafa in and the rest is history. We got fucking Souness.

I sadly think Valencia and Liverpool saw the best of Rafa and we never will.

Anyway, PL era for me it’s the following:

KK ——————-> SBR —————-> Rafa/Hughton

I’d love nothing better than Rafa to the manager of an ambitious NUFC that wants to compete and tries because he deserves it and so do we. A match made in heaven really!

That takeover has to happen though...

Just in time for my lunch break. Should get through this by the time I finish my frozen pasta pack.