Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Was up home at the weekend and speaking to my brother. He'd been a kinda Ashley apologist before, a few years ago, but that had changed and he'd become more critical. But now he seems to be back. "Having Benitez has increased everybody's expectations. If we hadn't had Benitez before, no one would be complaining about Bruce now". "He went to China for money" etc etc etc. All I'm trying to do is lay out facts as to why Benitez had this clubs and it's fans interests at heart and he was only wanting to be a manager in practice and not just in name. "I just want to support Newcastle United" he said. "So do I!" was my response.

What can you say to that, though. I mean I get it, his viewpoint, but not wanting to be harsh, he doesn't get mine. Or want to. He was mocking toward my stance that I was refusing to pay attention or be involved. Didn't want to watch the match. Where as him, he wants to watch the fucking match. He wants us to win. And for him that means continuing to support them. It's almost like Brexit, man.

"If I made so much money from my shops and brands I wouldn't care much about Newcastle either" was one of the more strange defences of Ashley. "We've just spent x amount". 'Id bet you'd want to join the sad losers marching from Sports Direct to the Stadium boycotting." ...I could go on. I can't remember them all but you could offer suggestions based on the things you've heard before and you'd not be far off what he gave verbatim.

Sad, man. He's as big a fan as I am. After all these years you'd think it would be easy for people to see by now. You'd think surely everyone would now be united in what needed to be done and who's fault everything was. I heard something in the last week, can't remember where. "Newcastle are now in their 3rd Premier League season". 3 years out of the Championship. Like that's an achievement. That's what's been managed to be be the narrative for our club. And our own fans now peddle it. Fucking grim.

Don't mean to be harsh or single out my brother, just someone who I know is a lifelong, scream and shout and talk nothing else, Newcastle fan. Most interaction I've had with one of them who is of the opposite opinion to me. Especially face to face and over a couple of days. Really hit home. And to think of the countless others who would say the same.

Don't think all of Charnley's quotes in response to Rafa have been posted?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11785249/newcastles-lee-charnley-hits-back-at-rafael-benitez-claims

What we have said is it is about priorities. There is a pot of money. Where is the greater need? At this time it's on the field.

It's not unreasonable, the pot of money can only go so far. You go and spend it on the training ground, it means there is less to spend on the team.

Spend it on the academy, there is less to spend on the team; spend too much on wages, there's less to spend on the team.

That doesn't mean we don't spend in all those areas, because we do, but our view has been at this point in time, the priority is what goes on to the field.

Does it mean at some point in time we would like to update the training ground? Absolutely, yes.

Our pitches are very good, our gym is perfectly adequate and functional. Do we have a swimming pool or water facilities? No. Would we like to have it at some stage? Absolutely.

The absolute gall of this little flid acting high and mighty about player investment after over a decade of underspending and one summer just gone when our net spend was about a par for once (and still only about 1/5 of our turnover).

Stop trying to argue with Rafa about football you tit, you're making yourself look really fucking stupid.

Was up home at the weekend and speaking to my brother. He'd been a kinda Ashley apologist before, a few years ago, but that had changed and he'd become more critical. But now he seems to be back...

Sake.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/11785249/newcastles-lee-charnley-hits-back-at-rafael-benitez-claims

What we have said is it is about priorities. There is a pot of money. Where is the greater need? At this time it's on the field.

It's not unreasonable, the pot of money can only go so far. You go and spend it on the training ground, it means there is less to spend on the team.

Spend it on the academy, there is less to spend on the team; spend too much on wages, there's less to spend on the team.

That doesn't mean we don't spend in all those areas, because we do, but our view has been at this point in time, the priority is what goes on to the field.

Does it mean at some point in time we would like to update the training ground? Absolutely, yes.

Our pitches are very good, our gym is perfectly adequate and functional. Do we have a swimming pool or water facilities? No. Would we like to have it at some stage? Absolutely.

The absolute gall of this little flid acting high and mighty about player investment after over a decade of underspending and one summer just gone when our net spend was about a par for once (and still only about 1/5 of our turnover).

Stop trying to argue with Rafa about football you tit, you're making yourself look really fucking stupid.

He’s shameless.

The problem is that the media and those like Cronky will lap that up and wipe the slate clean, take it in isolation and think he’s being reasonable.

The statement doesn't really tie in with the rather more optimistic noises that Rafa was making towards the end of last season, and the apparent position of the club of hoping till the last minute that Rafa would sign.

There's a comment about the takeover in there, which indicates to me that Rafa was putting things on hold in case that went ahead and he had the chance to work with a different owner who would loosen the purse strings.

As for being offered a contract on the same money with less control over transfers, I suspect that the situation was that Rafa had the choice between a long contract with more control, or a short-term rolling contract with less control, if he didn't want to commit at that point. The club have made it clear that they don't want to spend large transfer fees for a manager who could quit any moment, and be left with players that the new man didn't want.

This also explains the curious impasse over Joelinton, where Rafa seems to have taken the position that he quite liked the player, but not at that price. The club would only spend that sort of money for a manager with a long-term commitment, but Rafa wanted to see what developed in other areas.

So we had a complete impasse until the club had to take action in order to prepare for the new season.

People can still criticise the club for unnecessary penny-pinching if that's how they see it, but I think Rafa's behaviour was a little more complicated than his statement indicates.

You need to visit a Doctor mate, some tranquilisers could be in order. Ask him if he's got Ketamine.

Was up home at the weekend and speaking to my brother. He'd been a kinda Ashley apologist before, a few years ago, but that had changed and he'd become more critical. But now he seems to be back. "Having Benitez has increased everybody's expectations. If we hadn't had Benitez before, no one would be complaining about Bruce now". "He went to China for money" etc etc etc. All I'm trying to do is lay out facts as to why Benitez had this clubs and it's fans interests at heart and he was only wanting to be a manager in practice and not just in name. "I just want to support Newcastle United" he said. "So do I!" was my response.

What can you say to that, though. I mean I get it, his viewpoint, but not wanting to be harsh, he doesn't get mine. Or want to. He was mocking toward my stance that I was refusing to pay attention or be involved. Didn't want to watch the match. Where as him, he wants to watch the fucking match. He wants us to win. And for him that means continuing to support them. It's almost like Brexit, man.

"If I made so much money from my shops and brands I wouldn't care much about Newcastle either" was one of the more strange defences of Ashley. "We've just spent x amount". 'Id bet you'd want to join the sad losers marching from Sports Direct to the Stadium boycotting." ...I could go on. I can't remember them all but you could offer suggestions based on the things you've heard before and you'd not be far off what he gave verbatim.

Sad, man. He's as big a fan as I am. After all these years you'd think it would be easy for people to see by now. You'd think surely everyone would now be united in what needed to be done and who's fault everything was. I heard something in the last week, can't remember where. "Newcastle are now in their 3rd Premier League season". 3 years out of the Championship. Like that's an achievement. That's what's been managed to be be the narrative for our club. And our own fans now peddle it. Fucking grim.

Don't mean to be harsh or single out my brother, just someone who I know is a lifelong, scream and shout and talk nothing else, Newcastle fan. Most interaction I've had with one of them who is of the opposite opinion to me. Especially face to face and over a couple of days. Really hit home. And to think of the countless others who would say the same.

Its exactly like Brexit, and everything else. I'll hit the horrible figure of 60 next year and up to my 20th I can't say I paid too much attention to debates on any kind of subject. But from 21 yrs on I noticed more and more over the years.

The world has never been so divided in my lifetime as it is today, or perhaps it always was. The only difference is the prevelance of social media (all media really) and how easy it is to disseminate points of view. Both accurate and inaccurate.

If you don't pay attention it is easy to start believing the inaccurate stuff. Take Bruce's comments on signing for Sunderland and contrast with alleged comments on signing for Newcastle. They are at total odds with each other.

The gym is like one of those on-site gyms you'd find at a Caravan Park. It is basic. Maybe 30x20 foot, with the space in the middle used for any physio shit, like balance balls. The indoor pitch has been waiting to be knocked down and replaced for at least 4 years now. The idea was to build a two level purpose built building, not just a tent.

"Perfectly adequate" ffs :lol: :lol: :lol:

£30m net spend this summer leaves £90m from just the TV Money alone to be spent on the academy and training ground.

D7Q6eDSWsAAE0Ar?format=jpg&name=large

Guest neesy111

"Perfectly adequate" ffs :lol: :lol: :lol:

£30m net spend this summer leaves £90m from just the TV Money alone to be spent on the academy and training ground.

D7Q6eDSWsAAE0Ar?format=jpg&name=large

How does the club pay wages to players then?