Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I think there's a difference with Mourinho in that he antagonises players, fans and the boardroom

Whereas when Rafa was here it was only the boardroom

Edited by joeyt

We were lucky to have Rafa to stand up against Mike Ashley. Don't get me wrong cos I love how he brought back pride to the club in those dark days. Now that we have new owners, I rather the manager or head coach be able to work with the owners and DOF etc to push the club forward. Rafa has tendency to leak things, use the media and fans against the owners if he doesn't get what he wants.

1 hour ago, LRD said:

We were lucky to have Rafa to stand up against Mike Ashley. Don't get me wrong cos I love how he brought back pride to the club in those dark days. Now that we have new owners, I rather the manager or head coach be able to work with the owners and DOF etc to push the club forward. Rafa has tendency to leak things, use the media and fans against the owners if he doesn't get what he wants.

He just wants a club to compete and try to be the best they can.

Just like we fans do. What’s wrong with that? Can’t see that he would have had any problems with the owners here. 

3 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I’m not surprised he had faith in his ability to go to Everton as a club in crisis and turn them around - he managed that very well with us and was a success.

Why wouldn’t he think he can do it again?

No idea why it’s not working though. Injuries aren’t the only cause for the disaster currently on show.

The Board have doubled down on him by removing Brands though. Would expect him to get until at least the New Year based on that.

The board have done the right thing by backing him. It was always an unpopular move with the fans, now that they have gone there, might as well give him every chance to get it right. Chances are once injuries clear up they will start getting results anyway. The only worry would be if the players are behind him, because to look at they don't seem convinced by the new style. 

6 hours ago, Dokko said:

Don't know why anyone would want Everton with or without Rafa to succeed. Such a horrible bitter club and their scouse mackem tag suits them well.

Rafa is getting exactly what he deserves by going there. No loyalty to counter his massive ego to stop him taking the job. Imagine after this he rocked up at Sunderland, you still want him to do well then? He's completely fucked up his career since leaving us. He'll never manager above the level he's at now and will be looking at lower end prem clubs if he wants to stay comfortable in England. He really is a Spanish Alladyce from this point on going from average club to club picking up sack windfalls to booster his retirement pot. 

I don't think I have the same venom as you do, but I do agree, he's made some awful choices after leaving us. China I could sort of understand, but I remain confused why he wouldn't just sit out for another six months and see what happened with our court cases. This job was always going to be perfect for him. No conflicts from previous jobs, a fan base with the lowest of low expectations, and a club that once finished, would have a genuine legacy that could only be ascribed to him. 

I've never quite seen him as a messianic figure, but I believe he did a tremendous job here given the circumstances. Even if you think he 'bought the Championship', to keep us up with Gayle and Joselu as strikers was genius. 

I will also say; if I read that our DOF wanted Graham Potter and we ended up with Rafa instead I'd be horrified. 

Edited by Thiago

23 minutes ago, Thiago said:

I don't think I have the same venom as you do, but I do agree, he's made some awful choices after leaving us. China I could sort of understand, but I remain confused why he wouldn't just sit out for another six months and see what happened with our court cases. This job was always going to be perfect for him. No conflicts from previous jobs, a fan base with the lowest of low expectations, and a club that once finished, would have a genuine legacy that could only be ascribed to him. 

I've never quite seen him as a messianic figure, but I believe he did a tremendous job here given the circumstances. Even if you think he 'bought the Championship', to keep us up with Gayle and Joselu as strikers was genius. 

I will also say; if I read that our DOF wanted Graham Potter and we ended up with Rafa instead I'd be horrified. 

I think people underestimate how badly he wanted to be back in Liverpool. It's why I knew he would turn us down if we approached him once he was installed at Everton. 

That said I'm pleased we got Howe instead personally, and I was a big fan of what Rafa did here. He's still a tremendous coach, but I am ready for a more attacking style of football. 

Fuck off to all those cuntish Everton fans for all the shite they talk on Rafa. That was fucking classic. Gray smacks the winner in and during the madness he’s telling his guys instructions to finish the job. 

He's a good manager obviously but management across the board has probably gotten a lot better since his Liverpool and even Napoli days. Managers are getting younger and more tech savvy and there's more going on behind the scenes with regards to fitness and coaching that narrows the gap even more.

Pretty much every club in the league now has a billionaire involved too.

You're just never going to get to the standard of football Liverpool are playing with Rafa.