Newcastle United vs. Liverpool - 01/10/17 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Would like to see Aarons up against their god awful full backs

I agree I think he'd cause them huge problems. But Rafa doesn't seem to rate him for reasons unknown. He's had a few off the pitch incidents I can only assume he's annoyed Rafa in some way. I'd use him and he will win us points before he gets injured.

Darlow is another one. Did amazingly well for us last year really took his chance well and it looks pretty harsh that he has been dropped.

If Shelvey had started against Brighton could the result have been different? Yes quite possibly. He surely has to start against Liverpool for either Hayden or Perez.

Liverpool's defence struggles against quick players. Also I felt we needed to be a bit more adventurous after the Brighton game. Against Liverpool play deep get players behind the ball to try to nullify their threat and soak up pressure then hit them on the break with Shelvey, Merino & Ritchie etc supplying the through balls for Gayle, Atsu & Aarons running through Liverpools defence. If we do end up pushing Liverpool back then Merino & or Shelvey can push forward more.

My team for this one with the above in mind would be:

Darlow

Yedlin.  Lascelles.  Clark.    Gamez / Mbember

Shelvey.    Merino

Ritchie        Aaron's.          Atsu

Gayle

Murphy to come on with fresh legs at some point second half for whoever is struggling.

I can see Rafa starting Shelvey and Merino in the "pivot" and playing Diame instead of Perez at no.10, to provide extra size.

I think we'll see:

Elliot

Yedlin

Lascelles

Clark

Mbemba

Shelvey

Merino

Atsu

Diame

Ritchie

Gayle

Subs: Darlow, Manquillo, Lejeune, Perez, Mitrovic, Joselu, J.Murphy

Hayden not even making the bench? I'd be really surprised by that

Totally forgot to include him on there. Probably best to ignore the bench, but that's what I think the starting team will look like.

If I was choosing I'd stick with Hayden, Merino and Perez but swap Joselu for Mitrovic for this one.

I can see Rafa starting Shelvey and Merino in the "pivot" and playing Diame instead of Perez at no.10, to provide extra size.

I think we'll see:

Elliot

Yedlin

Lascelles

Clark

Mbemba

Shelvey

Merino

Atsu

Diame

Ritchie

Gayle

Subs: Darlow, Manquillo, Lejeune, Perez, Mitrovic, Joselu, J.Murphy

Good team ! Think we are both in agreement we can do better than Perez at number 10 for this one. Whilst I cannot fault his work rate, his deliveries could be better and despite starting every game he hasn't even looked like scoring and with Joselu also wasting good chances this looks like it could be a big problem if it continues. We can't just rely on defenders and Atsu chipping in with goals.

Diame could be admittedly fantastic on his day (strong on the ball, good at nicking the ball off the opposition and setting up a forward move for us) , but in other games very off the pace, so very inconsistent for me.

Come January a new number 10 and a new number 9 unless the current crop improve !

I must have edited my post as you were typing, but yeah.

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist or 'following Dave', I honestly have no idea what you're going on about there. We have to take each game as the come and treat every game as if we can get a result, obviously with a weighted expectancy that it is more likely we will take more points on average from lesser teams come the end of the season. But if we play absolutely s**** against Liverpool and get battered then there shouldn't just be an acceptance of "well we never could have won this game anyway" and thankfully Rafa will definitely not be looking at it that way either.

If we get battered because we played crap, we also need to remember that these aren't the games we have to get points from to survive, and if we think the world is falling in because we lost to Liverpool we are wrong. I got chewed out on here for inferring that after the Spuds loss, which I now admit was wrong, what I didn't see in the Spuds game however even when 11 v 11 was a will to win and a belief that we could get something other than a 0-0 out of the game, I also let the folks on here convince me we had a champo squad, which before the game I thought was underselling us.

And people are getting their knickers in a twist, how many times has my original post been quoted and derided, it's a pretty innocuous comment really.

We need to get points out of as many games as possible to survive. Writing off 1/3 of our season wont change the points tally we take from our relegation rivals anyway so I really don't understand the argument. We will lose games against bottom half teams this season regardless, and we need to pick up points against top 6 sides to make some of these back. Every point we take of these reduces the pressure we will have against the rest.

I'm not as confident as some given Liverpool's tendency to miss a lot of chances. They look to me like they could just as easily hammer someone without breaking a sweat.

I'm hoping with how solid we have been, them playing in Russia this week and the weather being absolutely diabolical some of their players won't be at their best.

I'll be optimistic and say 2-2 but I think we could be just as easy on the end of a pasting.

I think Shelvey will start on the bench again, with an unchanged line-up. If we can look as solid as we have most of the season, and limit Liverpool's chances created, I think we have enough about us to get a couple of goals and come away with some points.

Excited for this, and really looking forward to seeing the flag display.