Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rafa knows whats going on,man. He's deliberately saying he doesn't know what his budget is for January so that he can get loan deals in or clubs don't drive the prices of players up more than it already is in January because of the takeover.

Trust the bloke. He's mastermind the exit of Ashley and get a potential great replacement. This has been his project all along.

Or maybe, the deal is being worked on and is close (still, hopefully) and Rafa just doesn't know the full details yet because PCP is busy doing the deal with MA and his closest advisors and Lee Charnley is completely in the dark....

The fighting over the price does make me wonder about that claim that Stavely was buying the club for herself rather than on behalf of some mystery backers. It does seem that the valuation is more key than I thought it would be for the deal to go through which makes you wonder about future investment potential.

The fighting over the price does make me wonder about that claim that Stavely was buying the club for herself rather than on behalf of some mystery backers. It does seem that the valuation is more key than I thought it would be for the deal to go through which makes you wonder about future investment potential.

Not sure about that, I'd much rather they go in with their eyes wide open than do what Ashley did and be on the back foot straight away.

This thread seems to come around to this point on a weekly basis. They didn't meet the first asking price, therefore they mustn't have much money. If I had enough cash to buy a Mercedes but I decide to buy a Ford, do I just walk onto the forecourt and pay the sticker price?

With every passing week the 'fair value' based on the probability of survival is falling. Someone charging in would have already seen £40-50m paid to Ashley that could otherwise have been invested in the squad and club facilities.

My gut instinct is that the deal is largely done, there is no point announcing it and losing any 'new owner bounce' while the current squad continues to struggle. Most likely to be announced between the Man City and Brighton home games. There is also no reason why the potential owners have not already gone through the FA/PL processes in parallel such that the deal can be completed in the minimal possible timeframe.

This thread seems to come around to this point on a weekly basis. They didn't meet the first asking price, therefore they mustn't have much money. If I had enough cash to buy a Mercedes but I decide to buy a Ford, do I just walk onto the forecourt and pay the sticker price?

With every passing week the 'fair value' based on the probability of survival is falling. Someone charging in would have already seen £40-50m paid to Ashley that could otherwise have been invested in the squad and club facilities.

My gut instinct is that the deal is largely done, there is no point announcing it and losing any 'new owner bounce' while the current squad continues to struggle. Most likely to be announced between the Man City and Brighton home games. There is also no reason why the potential owners have not already gone through the FA/PL processes in parallel such that the deal can be completed in the minimal possible timeframe.

Honestly I mostly agree with this, though I think that last part is what they'll be doing now. I'd guess the meeting over a curry was them agreeing a deal, and the rest of this month will be them going through the final checks with the FA/PL.

Not sure about that, I'd much rather they go in with their eyes wide open than do what Ashley did and be on the back foot straight away.

Yup, I also think Ashley will be really difficult to deal with. This won't be a simple deal, for example I can see the Sports Direct signs being up around SJP for a while to come

What are people on about "Ashley getting his money back"? The fat cunt has already had his money back and more.

How do you work that one out?

Because sports direct has had a decade of free advertising, valued at £200m to £250m . Which has helped transform the business from a successful one to a spectacularly successful one.

What are people on about "Ashley getting his money back"? The fat cunt has already had his money back and more.

How do you work that one out?

Because sports direct has had a decade of free advertising, valued at £200m to £250m . Which has helped transform the business from a successful one to a spectacularly successful one.

And us as a club have missed out on 10 years of advertising revenue that would have filled the spaces his shite has.

Valued by whom? Man Utd's main shirt sponsorship is £50m a year for the most exposure on the world's most visible team. A few ground boards for a struggling / Championship team is worth half of that?

Do people really think a bunch of flashing ground boards at SJP has been pivotal to the growth of SDI? Come off it.

Do just a small amount of digging and see how many businesses Ashley is buying on the quiet. This is a man who said he had wallpaper not cash.

It’s happened, just wait on the announcement.

He's made a career out of buying and selling businesses using leveraged funds, like most other billionaires.

Do you think he buys companies for cash???

Valued by whom? Man Utd's main shirt sponsorship is £50m a year for the most exposure on the world's most visible team. A few ground boards for a struggling / Championship team is worth half of that?

Do people really think a bunch of flashing ground boards at SJP has been pivotal to the growth of SDI? Come off it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mike-ashley-admits-newcastle-deals-4197471.amp

Pitchside LED hoarding rates are in the tens of thousands of pounds per minute for televised games.

I cba to go back and work out how much that's exactly been but upwards of 200m at the high end can't be far off given SD's almost exclusive presence there over the years. 250 seems like a stretch given the 2 championship years.

Global exposure for Sports Direct has certainly been of great benefit to their growth. Bear in mind his stores had multiple different names and the Sports Direct brand had only been established recently before he bought the club. At that time they had about 200 stores and now they are totally dominant and have 470, added that they have expanded significantly overseas. Of course it is not the sole reason, but the global exposure every week for his brand has been massive for them. Companies don't usually pay for this space at Premier League clubs for a laugh you know.