Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does Dave know more than he is letting on? For obvious reasons I don’t expect him to divulge any itk craic.

Absolutely not. I just can't for the life of me see it getting this far and not going through. Both parties want to deal.

Absolutly this. Too far down the line for either party not to be serious.

It's basically impossible to "do a Man City" these days anyway, even if we had nigh on unlimited funds, we'd still compete with two more clubs that have infinite funds that are far ahead of us, plus the likes of Liverpool, Man United and Spurs that are all capable of spending more than we could hope to get from PCP.

Of course it's possible. Man City 'did a Chelsea' after all.

Completely different landscape when they did it. The money that we would have to spend to "do a Man City" would be astronomical, just look at what PSG have to spend to compete at the top in the CL.

That reads as possible to me. The Saudis would be the ones to do it.

We're talking literally billions of pounds, of course it can happen, I just don't think it's very plausible.

Guest firetotheworks

It's basically impossible to "do a Man City" these days anyway, even if we had nigh on unlimited funds, we'd still compete with two more clubs that have infinite funds that are far ahead of us, plus the likes of Liverpool, Man United and Spurs that are all capable of spending more than we could hope to get from PCP.

Completely different landscape when they did it. The money that we would have to spend to "do a Man City" would be astronomical, just look at what PSG have to spend to compete at the top in the CL.

We're talking literally billions of pounds, of course it can happen, I just don't think it's very plausible.

So not impossible then. :iamatwat:

The pundits would absolutely hate us (more than they already do) if we turned into a Man City/Chelsea clone. They'd be calling us out every single week.

And Merson would still say we'd lose every game.

I wouldn’t give a fuck. They would hate us if we fluked a Cup, or built ourselves up like Spurs did. I don’t give a fuck, if we won just 1 major trophy in my lifetime then it would be the greatest moment of my life.

The pundits would absolutely hate us (more than they already do) if we turned into a Man City/Chelsea clone. They'd be calling us out every single week.

As soon as we started doing it, journos and pundits everywhere would suddenly start asking the question of whether or not our transfer policy and spending all that money is harming the future of England's national team. You just know it.

As soon as we started doing it, journos and pundits everywhere would suddenly start asking the question of whether or not our transfer policy and spending all that money is harming the future of England's national team. You just know it.

Anyone give a fuck? England is just another team for the southerners and tourists to support. England have been shit for fucking years and football left them behind decades ago.

So not impossible then. :iamatwat:

I said 'basically impossible', so left myself a tiny window there ;)

The fact it's taking so long makes me think the aim isn't to do a man city. If the aim was to splash the cash we wouldn't be at a stand off for so long over £50m or whatever.

It’s been said on numerous occasions that it won’t be a Man City style ownership.

The fact it's taking so long makes me think the aim isn't to do a man city. If the aim was to splash the cash we wouldn't be at a stand off for so long over £50m or whatever.

It’s been said on numerous occasions that it won’t be a Man City style ownership.

It's also been said numerous times, just because (if) they have a lot of money why should they pay more than something is worth? You don't buy a £250k house for £300k because the current owner is being a twat, no matter how much money you have.

Anyone give a f***? England is just another team for the southerners and tourists to support. England have been s*** for f***ing years and football left them behind decades ago.

Chill out :lol:

All I'm saying is that narrative would be spun by the media if we of all clubs just so happened to come into money. Personally I'd rather see Newcastle achieve success ahead of England as any Newcastle fan would, but I'd still love to see England bring through a whole generation of outstanding players and do well in competitions if the offer was on the table. The talent pool we had for Euro '96 was just ridiculous compared to now. England doing well is irrelevant to the point I was making though.

Well I don’t think that’s necessarily the case either. You don’t get to be *that* rich by throwing your money around willy-nilly.

It's also been said numerous times, just because (if) they have a lot of money why should they pay more than something is worth? You don't buy a £250k house for £300k because the current owner is being a t***, no matter how much money you have.

If you do pay £300k for a house worth £250k & Mike Ashley is the owner he then thinks maybe you are willing to pay £350 or £400k, maybe someone else will pay £500k. Moving the goalposts is Mike's M.O.

I’m still holding on to the theory that the deal is done and we’re securing transfer targets behind the scenes, whilst feeding the press with negative misinformation about the takeover, to give us a better bargaining position on transfer fees.

This adds up for me because I’m convinced that Rafa would be more clearly unhappy at the situation if we really were where we are reported to be with transfers, as he was in the summer and last January.

I don’t buy that he is waiting for funds to become available. I can’t see PCP (or whoever they represent) buying the club half way through the window leaving us with a couple of weeks to do all of our business from scratch. Realistically, that’s not going to work out, it doesn’t add up that PCP would take that risk.

The takeover has probably either already happened behind the scenes or it’s not happening unless and until we’re safe. If it’s the latter, Rafa would be publically pushing harder for funds from Ashley.

I think the actual situation is either really good: takeover is done but being kept quiet until transfers are done, or really bad: the takeover will only happen when/if we’re mathematically safe (and even then Ashley would probably bump up the price and screw it up).

What makes me think the good theory is more likely than the bad is the holding company. The press response that Staveley has many business interests and therefore establishes new companies all the time is bullshit, a quick search on Companies House shows that is not the case. It’s too much of a coincidence and, logically, seems likely that it would only be done if a deal is essentially complete.

I wait to be proved wrong when the window slams shut and we’ve only singed Shefki Kuqi on loan.

Its more fun when you win the league on teamwork togetherness and a bit of luck, than just buying titles.

Leicester city will never likely win the title ever again, but they did it in the best way and most memorable.

Man City will pick up their third title this year. I know which I would prefer.

Support City then??

Or Celtic ?

If the alternative was Leicester then I’d snap your hand off.

It's also been said numerous times, just because (if) they have a lot of money why should they pay more than something is worth? You don't buy a £250k house for £300k because the current owner is being a t***, no matter how much money you have.

I once bought a ticket for a gig that was only worth £50 for £75 off eBay, because I had the money and really wanted to go to the gig. Supply and demand.

I once bought a ticket for a gig that was only worth £50 for £75 off eBay, because I had the money and really wanted to go to the gig. Supply and demand.

Bit of a difference between 25 quid and 50 million especially when you could lose that 50 million plus probably up to another 50 million plus in the space of 5 months.

As far as we're aware the only demand is coming from PCP. Not even the richest person in the world would want to pay an extra 50m for something when they are bidding against themselves.