Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is buying football clubs these days? From what I've noticed over the last couple of years it seems to be Chinese or American consortiums buying 'fixer upper' Championship clubs. Even then they aren't throwing huge sums at the clubs. The Wolves owners are the only ones I can think of to do that. The Inter (or was it AC?) Milan owners haven't done much.

We seem to have missed out on the buyers who are happy to spend £400m on a club. I'd agree (and so do a lot of media pundits) that NUFC are the obvious club for a mega rich buyer to buy. I'm wary of any buyer who buys a club with the idea of running it at a big profit. It just doesn't happen.

No one is paying 400 M nor should they . So long as he makes money out of us he will stay ....

Like I said I don't think 400 million is an outrageous price. Sports clubs over here in North America change hands for considerably more money than that and their worldwide exposure is nowhere near that of the PL. It's not a bad price when you rake in a guaranteed 100 million just by surviving in the division, that's a 1/4 of your initial investment in one year, that's not profit of course but few owners are in it for that, even if Ashley had taken the 300 million, he would have recouped all his investment in the club and had a decade of priceless free band exposure.

No one is paying 400 M nor should they . So long as he makes money out of us he will stay ....

Like I said I don't think 400 million is an outrageous price. Sports clubs over here in North America change hands for considerably more money than that and their worldwide exposure is nowhere near that of the PL. It's not a bad price when you rake in a guaranteed 100 million just by surviving in the division, that's a 1/4 of your initial investment in one year, that's not profit of course but few owners are in it for that, even if Ashley had taken the 300 million, he would have recouped all his investment in the club and had a decade of priceless free band exposure.

The way American sports operate are so different though, I wonder whether it is a fair comparison. There is no threat of relegation for a start. And the way the draft system works it means that every team has a chance of making real progress and becoming a dominant force if run well... I hope there are no Bengals or Browns fans on here.

Guest The Little Waster

This is not America ... Sha la la la la ...

It doesn't matter, I just used that as a reference point. The big take here is that Ashley could recoup all he invested in the club, by taking the lowest offer he was made already (along with the hard to quantify value for brand exposure).. 400 million is a lot of money though and not many folks have it to spend on a football team but I do think it's a OK price for what an investor would get.

If its such a fair price then he'll have no problem finding a buyer right?  :lol:

And that's the crux of the issue, it's not that the price is too high for what they get, it's that either something is putting off potential buyers or there are simply not any people in the market for these kind of investments anymore, like loveitifwebeatu pointed out above. If it's the latter then the only fix is to drop the price until there is a market, which has already been established by PCP's bid to be around 300 - 350 mill. If it's the former then what is ? Are investor put off by something in the books, the fan base, the lack of potential for the club, what ?

Clearly Ashley is not aggressively looking to sell otherwise a deal with PCP would have happened they are so close on price, bridging that gap shouldn't be hard if there was real desire on both ends. I just can't see the desire for him to keep putting himself in the radar for hate as people expect action from him that he clearly doesn't want to do, it's quite bizarre. He's getting brand exposure but that brand is taking a huge beating while he is owner of our football club. That's why I have always expected that a deal would go through at some point but now it seems more unlikely than ever. Like I said previously , we won't be this desirable an asset for anyone ever again, this is our small window of opportunity.

It doesn't matter, I just used that as a reference point. The big take here is that Ashley could recoup all he invested in the club, by taking the lowest offer he was made already (along with the hard to quantify value for brand exposure).. 400 million is a lot of money though and not many folks have it to spend on a football team but I do think it's a OK price for what an investor would get.

He's already moved the goal posts with Staveley's offers. If someone offered 400m he'd want 425.

Anything he says is PR and stall tactics to temporarily keep the pressure off.

if Ashley had even a quarter of a brain he'd come out and stat rafa isn't going anywhere, oh well :embarrassed:

see, this is the thing.

he didnt need to come out and say he wanted rafa to stay or "hoped" he would stay.

he should have simply said there is no way rafa is going to leave and that he is personally going to ensure it.

thats why i'm convinced ashley's not really that bothered. he gets £6m for rafa then swiftly moves on and shifts lascelles out too.

still be loads of managers interested in coming to the toon especially with this new £36m kitty.

crowds may drop but we'll still get over 40k turning up. not a great drop in income in the grand scheme of things.

If its such a fair price then he'll have no problem finding a buyer right?  :lol:

And that's the crux of the issue, it's not that the price is too high for what they get, it's that either something is putting off potential buyers or there are simply not any people in the market for these kind of investments anymore, like loveitifwebeatu pointed out above. If it's the latter then the only fix is to drop the price until there is a market, which has already been established by PCP's bid to be around 300 - 350 mill. If it's the former then what is ? Are investor put off by something in the books, the fan base, the lack of potential for the club, what ?

Clearly Ashley is not aggressively looking to sell otherwise a deal with PCP would have happened they are so close on price, bridging that gap shouldn't be hard if there was real desire on both ends. I just can't see the desire for him to keep putting himself in the radar for hate as people expect action from him that he clearly doesn't want to do, it's quite bizarre. He's getting brand exposure but that brand is taking a huge beating while he is owner of our football club. That's why I have always expected that a deal would go through at some point but now it seems more unlikely than ever. Like I said previously , we won't be this desirable an asset for anyone ever again, this is our small window of opportunity.

But I'm still pretty sure £400 million is overvaluing us by a fairly significant percentage, when you take into account other fairly recent recent PL sales. The TV deal didn't shoot up hugely or anything. The increase in TV money has to go on players and wage inflation in order to keep up (unless you are Mike Ashley). Also, the facilities at the training centre are a joke which needs major investment.

I agree that the exposure is hardly good, but maybe he just doesn't care or even actively gets off on this? Look at his appearance in front of that inquiry into Sports Direct, turning up with pockets stuffed with £50 notes?

I'll only believe he's interested in selling us when it's done.

if Ashley had even a quarter of a brain he'd come out and stat rafa isn't going anywhere, oh well :embarrassed:

see, this is the thing.

he didnt need to come out and say he wanted rafa to stay or "hoped" he would stay.

he should have simply said there is no way rafa is going to leave and that he is personally going to ensure it.

thats why i'm convinced ashley's not really that bothered. he gets £6m for rafa then swiftly moves on and shifts lascelles out too.

still be loads of managers interested in coming to the toon especially with this new £36m kitty.

crowds may drop but we'll still get over 40k turning up. not a great drop in income in the grand scheme of things.

Imagine what would happen if he came out and said he was personally going to ensure that Rafa stays and then Rafa turns down the contract though. I think Ashley just wants to keep himself at arms length from the whole thing to cover his arse. Even Ashley surely realises that keeping Rafa is the best way to ensure we don't drop down a division again, and end up costing him more money. What's the other option, letting Rafa go and then appointing a less successful coach, who he still has to back in the market to some degree, and potentially ending up with another McClaren scenario? Mike is a moron, but even he must understand how lucky we are to have Rafa here.

see, this is the thing.

Imagine what would happen if he came out and said he was personally going to ensure that Rafa stays and then Rafa turns down the contract though. I think Ashley just wants to keep himself at arms length from the whole thing to cover his arse. Even Ashley surely realises that keeping Rafa is the best way to ensure we don't drop down a division again, and end up costing him more money. What's the other option, letting Rafa go and then appointing a less successful coach, who he still has to back in the market to some degree, and potentially ending up with another McClaren scenario? Mike is a moron, but even he must understand how lucky we are to have Rafa here.

not if his target is just to stay in the premier league at minimal spend.

rafa is gonna be after him asking him for money every transfer window and then trying to expand the squad to deal with trying to win domestic cups or compete in the europa league.

ashley doesnt need the earache.

see, this is the thing.

not if his target is just to stay in the premier league at minimal spend.

rafa is gonna be after him asking him for money every transfer window and then trying to expand the squad to deal with trying to win domestic cups or compete in the europa league.

ashley doesnt need the earache.

I would hope that he is starting to realise that the stay in the Premier League with minimal spending plan doesn't work out too well. It is Ashley though so who knows what he is thinking? I could see him deciding to let Rafa go at the end of next season instead of trying to push on again, but it would be a massive gamble to do so now.

The thick cunt he is he probably looks upon the time we did spend okayish money (2014/15 summer and 2015/16 summer & January) and the fact it unravelled in true 1988/89 fashion, ignoring the fact of us having relentless mongs as managers in those seasons, and never wants to spend again.

He's already moved the goal posts with Staveley's offers. If someone offered 400m he'd want 425.

Anything he says is PR and stall tactics to temporarily keep the pressure off.

This.

He's not selling as long as he makes money from us. Whatever he does, including the lack of transfers, keeping fans hope over the takeover, press leaks and releases, is to keep the revenue flowing in.

there's some truth in this but surely the way to make this all go away from his perspective is to agree a budget with rafa and sit back smoking a cigar, for absolute fucks sake

i'm also not having that rafa will be at him every transfer window for money either, i don't think that's what he wants...i think he wants to know he's got say £70m a season to spend plus whatever he brings in in sales and then when he wants a player he expects them to go out and get the player immediately, or do their very best to get him

that's it in a nutshell imo, with some caveats about investment in the training ground etc.

i guess there's times rafa might go asking for extra due to bad injuries or something but i would doubt it'd be a regular thing if he gets the other stuff

Unfortunately with every day that passes (confirmed safety) it looks like Staveley was the tyre kicker Ashley called her out to be.

Everyone knew he'd want more at the end of the season, the club is simply worth more now than it was at any time this season gone, especially finishing top 10. If she was interested then she gambled, and she lost. Sounds very similar to what we already have.

Right now I'd take keeping Ashley, Rafa signing a new 3 year deal and Rafa having the control and budget he requires to meet his ambitions. I think it's about as good as it'll get for some time unless a serious offer comes in but you can't complain if we keep progressing and his price goes up, that's just business.

The £400m figure is an absolute joke - a big factor in us staying up was Kenedy so £20m - £25m needs to be knocked straight off then you need to consider the disgraceful state of the training ground and SJP which is deteriorating at a quick rate.

The main reason we stayed up was Rafa and if he walked then you can wipe out many millions off the value.

I hate the fat wanker!

The £400m figure is an absolute joke - a big factor in us staying up was Kenedy so £20m - £25m needs to be knocked straight off then you need to consider the disgraceful state of the training ground and SJP which is deteriorating at a quick rate.

The main reason we stayed up was Rafa and if he walked then you can wipe out many millions off the value.

I hate the fat wanker!

Didn't it start at 400million last year the seemed to drop to a more realistic 300 with clauses ? I know I've asked this before.

I hate the fat wanker!

Didn't it start at 400million last year the seemed to drop to a more realistic 300 with clauses ? I know I've asked this before.

don't think there was ever anything definitive, from my perspective the narrative in the papers changed to suit whatever made ashley look the most reasonable

I hate the fat wanker!

don't think there was ever anything definitive, from my perspective the narrative in the papers changed to suit whatever made ashley look the most reasonable

Just seemed like a standard open selling technique to me. Ask for more than you'd actually settle for in the expectation you'll negotiate to where you'd actually expect.

I hate the fat wanker!

Just seemed like a standard open selling technique to me. Ask for more than you'd actually settle for in the expectation you'll negotiate to where you'd actually expect.

They seemed to play hardball as much as him though, which I reckon was and will remain the issue. He has no reason to sell 'cheaply' and they have no reason to buy 'expensively' given the investment required across the board. They now both know the other isn't likely to do close to what they want so I'd imagine it'll be off personally.