Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think the statement indicates a club sale is not imminent and that he would like Rafa to sign a new contract. I think Rafa will stay next year but to sign a new contract he needs to have final say on transfer deals within an agreed budget and an investment in the training ground / youth development. Not sure Ashley can give up on haggling transfers or plans to be around to see the benefit of youth but he must know he has to keep Rafa (and Lascelles) which his statement kind of acknowledges.

On the whole I think the statement is a peace offering but let's see what actions result.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

A peace offering? By saying he will “continue to ensure that every penny generated by the club is available to him” he’s basically saying Rafa was wrong for suggesting promises were broken during last summer’s transfer window. Great way to head into this one.

The man concedes nothing. Any' admission of wrong doing' is done fighting back a snigger and any supposed contrition is just blown away like dust when the sin is just wilfully repeated over and over.

There's no spot changing, flexibility or humility. A peace offering is frankly ludicrous to suggest.

Think the difference between Ashley and Rafa in terms of every penny statement is Rafa wanted this seasons coin upfront whereas Ashley is willing to release it at the end of the season, so now. If so then Rafa gets every penny hereon in and this would tie up with the statements of being behind others already here in the league but now we're at a level playing field.

Think the difference between Ashley and Rafa in terms of every penny statement is Rafa wanted this seasons coin upfront whereas Ashley is willing to release it at the end of the season, so now. If so then Rafa gets every penny hereon in and this would tie up with the statements of being behind others already here in the league but now we're at a level playing field.

I think you're correct but we will soon find out. At least i can hold off renewing my ticket until after the transfer deadline this year.

I think you're correct but we will soon find out. At least i can hold off renewing my ticket until after the transfer deadline this year.

I fucking hope so. Its been my feeling for some time, Rafa may have been led a little but Ashley has clarified since and Rafa is content. Certainly wouldn't say happy, but not unhappy.

Be great if Ashley ever does decide to throw some decent money at us in terms of infrastructure (which is most likely as it'll be easily added to the value of the club without diminishing) showing at least some ambition off the field to help support it on it. Would go a long way in Rafa's books to think he's at the right club for him.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/mike-ashley-thanks-rafa-players-and-fans

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has thanked Rafa Benítez, the players and the club’s supporters following the club’s tenth-place finish in the Premier League.

The Magpies secured a place in the top half with a 3-0 victory over Chelsea at St. James’ Park on Sunday.

The owner said: "I would like to thank Rafa Benitez for his magnificent achievement this season.

"I would also like to applaud the players, led fantastically by the captain Jamaal Lascelles. 

"On many occasions throughout the season they have been described as a Championship side, which I personally consider to be derogatory.

"Rafa, as always, has my full support, and contrary to some media reports that portray me as a pantomime villain, I will continue to ensure that every penny generated by the club is available to him.

"I hope very much that Rafa will remain at Newcastle United.

"Finally, I would like to thank the fans for their unrivalled support of Rafa and the team throughout the season."

Sigh.

:lol: :lol:

So annoying. Rafa's not unrealistic. Give him £65M for transfers, plus player sales, and say £5-£10 million towards upgrades at the training ground.

He can at least work with that, and improve us.

Rafa clearly likes being loved. Which human being wouldn't?  :lol:

He's in a good location for his family, he has a good base with the team, he just needs backing and we're sorted.

One line is very telling...

On many occasions throughout the season they have been described as a Championship side, which I personally consider to be derogatory.

Ashley clearly doesn't grasp that Rafa and his coaching team have had a massive influence over these players.  Another manager (probably off the scrap heap) would have had us in the relegation zone.

I think that's him just bigging the players up a bit. He's right, particularly up until around January that was thrown a lot at the squad even on here. Nowt wrong with that particular line imo.

He's bigging them up because every penny matters for this stupidly rich mug, and he wants to get away with the crap squad we have. He's happy to ride his luck yet again, and I have no idea why people try to defend his daft points.

The statement lays the foundation for the follow up " We tried our best to keep him " . There's a lot of speculation about Pochettino's future , and a Spuds fan on TKSPT ,  who doesn't want the scenario to happen , said an ex- player acquaintance told him Pochettino's gone & replaced by Rafa

Guest The Little Waster

"every penny generated by the club". It's a shame the club can't generate more money by selling advertising space which is currently taken up by free Sports Direct adverts.

I wonder if he counts the tv money in ?

"every penny generated by the club". It's a shame the club can't generate more money by selling advertising space which is currently taken up by free Sports Direct adverts.

I wonder if he counts the tv money in ?

One big player sale and then looking down the back of the sofa for the rest of the squad up grade.

Last summer's pot of cash came at the end of a championship season so we only got championship money. This summer we'll get Premier league money and next year will be the same. "Every penny the club generates" should mean significantly more than last summer. Know it's a cliche here but he has no excuses for not backing him, I didn't like last summer but could sort of follow the logic. No excuses at all, guaranteed PL cash this summer and next and if Rafa is backed you can probably guarantee it for each year he's here.

Just back the manager ffs.

The statement lays the foundation for the follow up " We tried our best to keep him " . There's a lot of speculation about Pochettino's future , and a Spuds fan on TKSPT ,  who doesn't want the scenario to happen , said an ex- player acquaintance told him Pochettino's gone & replaced by Rafa

No way Poch leaves them with their new stadium ready and off the back of a great season (especially so given they've effectively played 38 games away from home).

That's one I think is safe to categorise in the ITK Bullshit file.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

No way Poch leaves them with their new stadium ready and off the back of a great season (especially so given they've effectively played 38 games away from home).

You must not have seen Pochettino's presser after yesterday's game then?

You must not have seen Pochettino's presser after yesterday's game then?

He's basically just said the same as every other manager - they need to spend more to move onto the next level. I'm not sure what he's said that makes people sure he's going. The fact that he said it's out of his hands?

He does sound a lot like Rafa though. I like him a lot.

Last summer's pot of cash came at the end of a championship season so we only got championship money. This summer we'll get Premier league money and next year will be the same. "Every penny the club generates" should mean significantly more than last summer. Know it's a cliche here but he has no excuses for not backing him, I didn't like last summer but could sort of follow the logic. No excuses at all, guaranteed PL cash this summer and next and if Rafa is backed you can probably guarantee it for each year he's here.

Just back the manager ffs.

It’s even simpler than that; just don’t be a cunt.

If he just wrote that in permanent marker on his hands for the next three months, we’ll be sorted.

“Would doing this be a cunt act? Yes/no. Act only when the answer is no. Rafa provides the good times.