Newcastle United vs Leicester City - 09/12/17 @ 5.30pm (Live on BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

It shows the difference in squads that these won’t be starting £81m worth of strikers – Iheanacho £25m, Slimani £30m, Musa £16m and Ulloa £10m!

Wonder if a couple of them could play for us, like we used to do in amateur rugby?

:lol:

West End didn't even have any real assets, we took a few of their players on that is all. A merger is stretching it massively. It’s a modern narrative though which the club have helped promote for whatever reason. Anyway, Newcastle United is definitely 125 years old as Newcatle United. From what I can recollect it was the late 80s which coincided with the opening of the Milburn stand that the club started focusing on the 100 year centenary celebrations. Prior to that 1882 wasn’t such a big event other than the name change and move to SJP in the club’s history. At one point we were the biggest club in the world during the 20s and I think the 3rd or 4th most successful club in England up to the 50s. Prior to ‘74 we had won more than Liverpool for example iirc. The club has been littered with bad management and boardroom decisions. SJH cam along and really did rescue us, KK galvanised us and turned us into the kind of club we were in the 20s. Withought those two in particular, it’s hard to,say what would have happened. I don’t think we would have recovered I really don’t. SJP would have been modernised as was the law, but maybe 25k and we would have went down to the then 3rd tier and would probably be another Sheff Utd really. Despite no trophies since ‘55 and ‘69 domestically and in Europe and 2 relegations in the last 10 years we are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and that is down to 3 things; SJH, KK and the huge support of the club from fans. Ashley has wasted arguably the golden Jewell of English Football as KK coined us and when the history books open up on his chapter it will be pretty much blank because it has literally been a waste of fucking time by all. Hurry up and sell you fat cunt.

It was SJH and Keegan who made the current takeover possible IMO. It was a while ago, but that decade around the top end of the league probably still just about makes us a potential top club again for interested buyers.

Elliott or Darlow . Little to choose between them.

Yedlin

Lejeune

Lascalles if fit

Mbemba

Hayden

Shelvey

Atsu if fit

Merino

Murphy

Striker.

I'd playvLejeune over Clarke if Lascalles is fit as I think they better compliment each other.

As for this time for KO  I think its perfect and wouldn't argue against it replacing 3pm KOs.

I’ve researched the history of the club quite extensively and while the author is kind of right, in fact he is right, NUFC as Newcastle United was ‘born’ in 1982, but as West End correctly folded and not merged East End become NUFC so technically the history of the club dates back 10 years earlier when Stanley were formed. They changed the name to East End as there was already a football team going by the name of Stanley. East End were formed by the cricket club by members who would play football as a hobby going back some 20 years or even more prior to 1881. It was only as the popularity of the sport grew did they decide to get in on the act with their own football team with many of the cricket team representing the football team. The record books show NUFC formed in 1882 but go through the records back to that era and you won’t find 1882 other than when the club become East End and then when West ceased being, Newcastle United. It was the 90s where the club latched onto 1982 which has since become synonymous with the club. I’ll celebrate Newcastle United as NUFC being 125 years old but we are probably more of a 150 year old ‘club’. Btw the club is historically one of the most important in the game, we have played several key roles in the development and formation of it from playoffs to offsides and replica shirts even. In the 20s fans who could afford a tailor would get black and white suits for Wembley which the less well off ripped off by painting their shirts black and white. NUFC fans were one of the first set of fans to attend matches decked out in club colours.

Also and I found this quite funny, not long after the club moved to SJP where fans basically stood on wooden boards around a marked out pitch to avoid getting bogged down in mud (the pitch was literally on a hill and when it rained it become a mud bath), a fruit and veg stall would do a roaring triad in tomatoes which were bought to throw at players who basically didn’t perform. The opposition were always applauded for their efforts though and NUFC spectators would soon get a reputation as a tough crowd to please for the home team, but a sporting lot for the visitors who would relish a trip to Newcastle. There are traces of this kind of mentality today in the stands.

I love the history of our club, it’s shame the fat c*** has pretty much destroyed the last 10 years or so if it. Time for a new chapter...

Yep I do find it odd that they use 1892 as the founding year when it really only the establishment of the current name and the move of the club to SJP as they took over West End's assets. The following year we joined the football league and started the most successful period in the club history, shame non of us were around to witness it.

Barely posts anymore, but Mick was.

Guest Howaythetoon

West End didn't even have any real assets, we took a few of their players on that is all. A merger is stretching it massively. It’s a modern narrative though which the club have helped promote for whatever reason. Anyway, Newcastle United is definitely 125 years old as Newcatle United. From what I can recollect it was the late 80s which coincided with the opening of the Milburn stand that the club started focusing on the 100 year centenary celebrations. Prior to that 1882 wasn’t such a big event other than the name change and move to SJP in the club’s history. At one point we were the biggest club in the world during the 20s and I think the 3rd or 4th most successful club in England up to the 50s. Prior to ‘74 we had won more than Liverpool for example iirc. The club has been littered with bad management and boardroom decisions. SJH cam along and really did rescue us, KK galvanised us and turned us into the kind of club we were in the 20s. Withought those two in particular, it’s hard to,say what would have happened. I don’t think we would have recovered I really don’t. SJP would have been modernised as was the law, but maybe 25k and we would have went down to the then 3rd tier and would probably be another Sheff Utd really. Despite no trophies since ‘55 and ‘69 domestically and in Europe and 2 relegations in the last 10 years we are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and that is down to 3 things; SJH, KK and the huge support of the club from fans. Ashley has wasted arguably the golden Jewell of English Football as KK coined us and when the history books open up on his chapter it will be pretty much blank because it has literally been a waste of f***ing time by all. Hurry up and sell you fat c***.

It was SJH and Keegan who made the current takeover possible IMO. It was a while ago, but that decade around the top end of the league probably still just about makes us a potential top club again for interested buyers.

They were the only two people who really believed in Newcastle United and what it could achieve which was, well, anything really given the right management and funds and they almost achieved the ultimate. They had bigger and bolder plans actually, a sporting empire, but greed got the better of both in many ways, SJH sold out because he didn’t have the fight due to age and a misguided trust in his son being capable of overseeing the empire if you like. KK got greedy because he thought the success could be sustained and that he could just go to the board for more money for even better players. To be fair to both and everyone really, the meteoric rise couldn’t be sustained, it was too much too quick and needed a cool off period, a reality check if you like. It burnt both SJH and KK out. I still believe no club has had such a rise in such a short period of time, not given everything done was on the back of fans putting their money into their pockets. SJH bought shares for millions, but he didn’t put more than a few hundred k of his own money into the club as an operation. We went from something like a 6m loss to turning over 45m in 4 years and were at one point turning over more than any other club in the world except for Man Utd who had a 40k capacity to our 28k + before expansiom to 36k. We went from an open ended dilapidated stadium to one of the finest in the world, albeit at 36k which KK said himself wasn’t big enough and that’s why the club looked at relocating. We went from the jaws of the 3rd tier to almost champions going into the final game of the season still in with a chance of winning it. All within 5 years. The football transformed massively too. We were arguably the best footballing team in the world. The biggest mistake was becoming a PLC because it took away KKs absolute control of the club which is what got us to where we were, SJH etc. basically just people who wrote the cheques. KK himself at the time saw our collapse as a huge huge failure and he couldn’t live with it. KK today would probably say to himself, hey Kevin, you can afford a bad season never mind just missing out on the title. Those were the very best days though, to be alive as a fan during all that, I doubt it will ever be topped, trophy or no trophy. We saw our club rise again from the ashes to the kind f club it was in the 20s.