Stoke City 0-1 Newcastle United- 01/01/18 - Post-match reaction from page 29

Greg

The rotation and sitting deep starts to make sense when you consider the points we've picked up over this hectic period. I didn't see the Brighton game but perhaps our unadventurous performance enabled us to dig in more today?

Brighton wasn't good enough but I reckon the mast majority would have been delighted with four points from these two games so who cares.

I think a lot of the Brighton game was about just not getting beat for Rafa after 5 straight home defeats.

The rotation and sitting deep starts to make sense when you consider the points we've picked up over this hectic period. I didn't see the Brighton game but perhaps our unadventurous performance enabled us to dig in more today?

Brighton wasn't good enough but I reckon the vast majority would have been delighted with four points from these two games so who cares.

Yeah, 4 points from these two is great.  Proper relief. 

I have no idea how statistically effective it is to sit as deep as we did but I'll never be convinced it's the right thing to do like, I don't know if it was instructed of just the players shitting themselves though :lol:

Great game but those final 10 minutes were concentrated pain.

Think there's a lot to be said for us having confidence away from home and not at home. No fear of being booed for making a mistake, etc.

There's that and the fact away from home we benefit from the home team having to push on, giving us the chance to counter attack.

I guess we can do it on cold rainy night in Stoke  :frantic:

Stoke though. Shameless tactics at the end there lol. I'd have been fewming if they had scored that chance because they were climbing all over Dummet I think it was in the lead up to the shot.

Brighton wasn't good enough but I reckon the vast majority would have been delighted with four points from these two games so who cares.

Pretty much this. I had thought that we should get 3 points against Brighton, and 1 point here. It evens itself out a bit, and 5 points out of 9 against your relegation rivals is always going to give you a great chance of staying up.

Great result.  Sounded deserved (radio  again) could only herar our fans again. How did Perez actually play ? HE did play well up front in the premiership last time round and Murphy sounds like he's really growing into a player.

Think I'd rather we had Swansea away again rather than at home as we do look so much better away now against the teams down there with us.

They were both excellent I thought, didn't really see why people were having a go at Murphy at half time. Barring one silly attempt to dribble out he was fine and always threatening, something we're badly missing. Fantastic ball in for the goal. Perez was good, some lovely clever touches and worked hard closing them down and forcing mistakes. Took the goal well.

I have no idea how statistically effective it is to sit as deep as we did but I'll never be convinced it's the right thing to do like, I don't know if it was instructed of just the players shitting themselves though :lol:

Great game but those final 10 minutes were concentrated pain.

Even moreso with Crouch upfront. Very hard to do otherwise though, goes against all your instincts.

Great result.  Sounded deserved (radio  again) could only herar our fans again. How did Perez actually play ? HE did play well up front in the premiership last time round and Murphy sounds like he's really growing into a player.

Think I'd rather we had Swansea away again rather than at home as we do look so much better away now against the teams down there with us.

Perez didn`t do anything amazing, good goal didn`t balls it up like some of our team would, good skill for a freekick, didnt stop running, he look mullered at the end.

Guest firetotheworks

What I think our best team is, clearly isn't.

:lol: :thup:

I honestly have no idea.

On paper, with everyone at their best, I think it just depends on who we're playing. For me though, it's become pretty apparent that any combination that we play absolutely must include Lascelles, he's been brilliant since he came back.

Think there's a lot to be said for us having confidence away from home and not at home. No fear of being booed for making a mistake, etc.

There's that and the fact away from home we benefit from the home team having to push on, giving us the chance to counter attack.

Aye.

A win against Swansea would be good, for the sake of morale more than anything.

I think it suits our style more tbh. We are good at soaking up pressure and counter ok against teams where they really have to come and attack at home. Problem is we play the same way at home when really need to attack teams.

I guess Rafa is happy for us to play the same way in that we become more tuned to it in every game and at least pick up wins away or at home. That's 3 wins away and 3 at home now. Last season it was pretty equal as well I believe