Stoke City 0-1 Newcastle United- 01/01/18 - Post-match reaction from page 29

Greg

Atsu was down the right as well wasn't he? He was our stand out player in the first half.

No he played centrally and drifted both ways, linked up well on the right side but also had a good chance through the middle into the left hand side of the area.

Glad we kept Murphy on despite most on here wanting him hooked at half time. It was clear we were really strong down our right. We barely attached down the left. Such a one sided heat map today:

IJHbs4t.png

I was wondering if it was a tactic to attack down the side Shaqiri wasn`t incase we lost the ball.

Glad we kept Murphy on despite most on here wanting him hooked at half time. It was clear we were really strong down our right. We barely attached down the left. Such a one sided heat map today:

IJHbs4t.png

Ritchie was fairly gash again I thought. Gave the ball away loads, crap balls in and too many silly fouls.

Guest neesy111

IJHbs4t.png

Ritchie was fairly gash again I thought. Gave the ball away loads, crap balls in and too many silly fouls.

He always seems to be chasing games now.

Atsu was down the right as well wasn't he? He was our stand out player in the first half.

Its what in trying to work out (I listened to it) as some on here are saying he played through the middle.

He played through the middle but roamed all over.

Guest firetotheworks

No he played centrally and drifted both ways, linked up well on the right side but also had a good chance through the middle into the left hand side of the area.

:thup:

Yedlin was getting into good positions in the first half as well. Glad that Murphy completely changed it around in the second half, particularly with his decision making.

Atsu was playing second striker really, he was all over the place.

It's clear just how importance pace, movement and dribbling ability are for forwards at this level when you compare Atsu and Ritchie's seasons (this and last). I can't believe how off the pace Ritchie looks. Thought he had enough workrate in his game to compensate but he's driving me crazy atm.

Its what in trying to work out (I listened to it) as some on here are saying he played through the middle.

Aye Atsu seemed to have free reign to go where he wanted, seemed to start off pretty much as a number 9 :lol:

I liked it.

When he roamed did Perez go through the middle ? I love fluidity and one of my criticisms of Rafa  is that we are often too rigid.

Havent seen it mentioned but I thought Yedlin did well against Choupo-Moting who is a bull on the ball. He had a couple little runs but all in all I though he frustrated him pretty well and I think that was evident in that yellow card challenge. Always a bit worried when Yedlin is up against a physical power like that. Lacelles of course helps a lot of that tbf.

Ritchie is really out of form, shame as i quite like him. But he's definitely been lacking this season overall.

He needs pace in this league. Just hasn't got it and hasn't got that extra bit of quality to overcome it either.

Atsu was playing second striker really, he was all over the place.

It's clear just how importance pace, movement and dribbling ability are for forwards at this level when you compare Atsu and Ritchie's seasons (this and last). I can't believe how off the pace Ritchie looks. Thought he had enough workrate in his game to compensate but he's driving me crazy atm.

He's been rubbish. Probably the biggest disappointment on an individual level because he was tremendous for us last season, a really massive player in the promotion.

Ritchie is really out of form, shame as i quite like him. But he's definitely been lacking this season overall.

He needs pace in this league. Just hasn't got it and hasn't got that extra bit of quality to overcome it either.

It looks like last season broke him physically playing nearly every game at 100mph and he hasn`t still recovered.

IJHbs4t.png

I was wondering if it was a tactic to attack down the side Shaqiri wasn`t incase we lost the ball.

Well tbf, I wouldn't be running many attacks down that flank either considering it was Ritchie and Manquillo.

Stoke had Edwards who looked a pacy fullback with a decent delivery down their right hand side and ahead of him was Shaqiri.

Ritchie was very important today in helping to neutralise that threat, and supported Manquillo really well in that regard. He was absolutely critical.

When he roamed did Perez go through the middle ? I love fluidity and one of my criticisms of Rafa  is that we are often too rigid.

Yeah, they were pretty much a front 2 with Perez the furthest forward - some nice link up play between them as well, Perez seemed to like having someone with pace and movement to play it on to.