Stoke City 0-1 Newcastle United- 01/01/18 - Post-match reaction from page 29

Greg

For once I cant moan. Think we are by far the better side.

Really only Atsu not being clinical and Clark missing a sitter thats holding us back from being ahead.

Even Diame has looked alright. Yedlin needs to concentrate a bit more, think we might just get something here ?

Good half from Diame, really seems to be breaking up play and even looks better on the ball, Yedlin is the weak link in defence again while not being terrible, Atsu lively but wasteful as ever, Shelvey and particularly Murphy, absolutely abysmal, and Ritchie the invisible man.

Actually fairly impressed with Perez, had a few good driving runs forward, but we need to make attacking changes before 70 minutes otherwise we wont score.

How did Clark miss that chance man :anguish:

Wow. Not a big Shelvey guy, but think he has dictated our play from the back beautifully today.

Guest Howaythetoon

That was some miss by Clarke. Decent enough half, but need to grab a goal as I can’t see them being this bad in the second half. First goal wins this. If we get it they may collapse like a pack of cards. Howay Newcastle!

A striker like how Atsu has been playing should be what we are looking for in the transfer window. Gayle might be similar but just doesn't cut it for me. He should be playing like how Atsu has. Creating space running the channels and taking on defenders. Shame Atsu hasn't got the ability of a clinical striker.

Murphy's in the game at least.

Absolutely nothing coming through our left side.

That sort of thing matters to Rafa, he might be producing poor end product, but if he's providing shape and running, then Rafa will be satisfied, at least as much as you can be with poor delivery.

This is probably the strongest example of our lack of investing in PL quality players costing us that I’ve seen this season.

If we had PL quality in key attacking positions we’d be 3 up by now. Instead we have Championship players and we can’t score for shit. 

On a positive note, it’s one of the better performances we’ve had for a good while.

Diame has been a positive surprise. Won lots of 50-50s on midfield that started our scoring opportunities.

Yep.

First game I genuinely haven't been pulling my hair out. He's even won some headers and not misplaced many passes.

Can't believe we aren't ahead in this. Playing so much better not being able to take the easy way out and hit Joselu every time.

Times when you watch Yedlin, Murphy, Darlow, Diame and you think it'll be a fucking miracle if we stay up.

HOWAY THE LADS

Thing that this has reminded me of so far is how cowardly McClaren was. Remember Stoke away under him, with far better players and coming for a 0-0? Here we've got the worst squad in the league and been at Stoke and could be 0-2 or 0-3 up.

I know it’s disappointing that we are not ahead, but honestly if we play like this for the rest of the season we’ll be fine, just need our luck to turn a little.

Unfortunately, we can't play Stoke every week.