The other games today 2018/19

Greg

Joaquin used to be a god on LMA manager on the Playstation back in the day  :smitten:

84 assists in La Liga throughout his career. He's in the top 5 since records are kept IIRC. A legend.

Having a canny good season too

If our game with Spurs is moved to the end of the season wouldn't mind that to be honest. Gives us more of a chance to keep our run going, we'll have a decent idea of what we need to get from it by then and if they're still in both cups they'll have a fuckload of games around then i would imagine. They often tire towards the end of the season as well.

We did win 6-1 away and then 7-1 away in the last two games last year :lol:.

Spurs fans right next to BBC cameras. First half highlights included "having a party when Sol Campbell dies...", now renditions of "being a Yid.."

I always hated the Sol Campbell songs. There's been a lot of people posting on Spurscommunity about how embarrassing it was at Rochdale.

The debate about both Sol songs and Yid songs has some parallels. I think most people who sing both are too young to have been around when they came about. I remember getting dogs' abuse in the 80s (was too young to remember the songs in the 70s) from Chelsea/West Ham/etc with all the gassing noises et al, and so I am comfortable with the tribal "Yids" songs. I also grew up in North London with school kids from every denomination you can think of so it mainly felt like it was intended - a way to identify and express solidarity with people who were getting bullied and abused. Has its time gone? Yeah, probably.

The Sol stuff arose from the manner of his leaving, but I remember watching his debut and the subsequent games when a lot was put on his shoulders in a poor Spurs team and he dealt with it all. I developed so much respect for him at that time. The homophobic chants towards him (and anyone) were never acceptable but I could understand the resentment when he left for Arsenal. But that was seventeen fucking years ago. Some of the dildos chanting yesterday will not have been born.

Meh, I suppose everyone has idiots. Nowt wrong with negative chants, but it's not as if there are not a million more relevant targets, like Wilshere, Pogba, or that dipstick Lingard.

If Spurs get to the final does it not give them a huge advantage that they'll be playing it effectively at home?

I guess the same could be said about Bayern - Chelsea in the Champions League final a few years ago which didn't seem to bother Chelsea that much tbf, so possibly not.

`

We've also had the huge disadvantage of not having proper home games all season in the PL - https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/andy-townsend-spurs-going-struggle-11019988. Swings and roundabouts I guess. It's mint that we've been able to give Newport and Rochdale a day at Wembley though.

If Spurs get to the final does it not give them a huge advantage that they'll be playing it effectively at home?

I guess the same could be said about Bayern - Chelsea in the Champions League final a few years ago which didn't seem to bother Chelsea that much tbf, so possibly not.

`

We've also had the huge disadvantage of not having proper home games all season in the PL - https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/andy-townsend-spurs-going-struggle-11019988. Swings and roundabouts I guess. It's mint that we've been able to give Newport and Rochdale a day at Wembley though.

There was an initial disadvantage (different pitch, different surroundings, changing room, different pre-match routine etc.), but all the club and players will have become used to it all now. It's surely just the fans now that it will still feel a bit foreign to.

So come the business end of the season, when Spurs are playing big games at Wembley that would ordinarily be played their anyway, of course it will be an advantage, a fairly sizeable one I'd say. Having half as many fans in the ground won't make too much difference to the players who are at comfort and ease on the pitch and surroundings. 

Even Champions League games going forward it's going to be a massive advantage for the players. It's bound to feel like every game will be a cup final, yet they are playing at 'home'. Now they are used to it all, can't believe it can have any adverse effect not being at WHL at all now.