Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We can't always have someone willing to sit on their arse for 20 years picking up a nice wage because he doesn't want to leave home.

Steve Harper says hello

On 01/01/2023 at 20:48, Optimistic Nut said:

That's who I was referring to. :lol:

Bit harsh like. Really not much between him and Given, in the early days. He may well have had a more prominent career if he had moved on at that point. The club would have worked hard, contractually and persuasion wise, to keep him. I wouldn’t equate a lack of ego/it’s all about me-ism and loyalty, with greed. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

2 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Bit harsh like. Really not much between him and Given, in the early days. He may well have had a more prominent career if he had moved on at that point. The club would have worked hard, contractually and persuasion wise, to keep him. I wouldn’t equate a lack of ego/it’s all about me-ish and loyalty, with greed. 

I remember Bobby saying they paid him well above the going rate for a sub keeper, when he signed a new contract when Given was a clear number 1 just to do that. It was clear from fairly early in the 01/02 season that he was number 2 and was always going to be that. He was happy to sit on the bench living at home picking up a big wage rather than having any ambition to be a number 1.

Ok. I don't have any grudges with him and seeing we're going to have cup games and going to need a backup keeper that is reliable, then Dubs can be that. As much as I wanted Karius to be here and probably prove that he is better than before, there was a risk with him. I'd prefer Karius over Darlow though but Dubs over both of them should we need cover for Pope.

Play Dubs for the FA Cup match and Pope for the Quarter final a few days later? Though if Pope plays both, that'd be fine by me too.

2 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Why the fuck’s he got over a million followers?

Most likely for being a Champ Manager legend.

Mad how angry some people are with Dubs in here. A good servant who I'd guess figured there'd be more Cup chances at Man U than here. He probably got told the right things by them re those Cup chances too, whereas it was plain as day Pope would be slotting straight in.

Just went and looked at his IG posts and they're pretty bog standard in the circumstances. He clearly figured that was it for him at the club and let's be fair, we all did. :lol:

Purely from a practical perspective, I'm not too enamoured with him being No 2. It sounds like most of his appearances weren't too convincing for Man U and he always needed to work back up to his best after the evermore frequent injuries so I could picture some shaky appearances if we have to rely on him at any point. Granted he'll still be a step up on Darlow, and the only reason I'd be happier with Karius is that he's an unknown quantity which isn't much of an argument.

I don't hate the guy, I'm not sure many do, but sometimes decisions are taken in life and should be stuck to. I imagine him coming back would send a weird message to the other players who've developed a real siege mentality while Dubravka was trying and failing to skulk off on another baggage train. I hope he's a makeweight in this transfer window.

The dark, petty side of me - and tbf I’m basically a waxing crescent- wants to demote him to the reserves for being a diva. 

I imagine he’s better than Karius though, so if he’s happy to shut up and take in the odd cup game then I’ll begrudgingly welcome him back.

9 minutes ago, SweMag said:

Paying £6m in loan fee for Falcao is pretty pointless.

Not really. He was a top striker in Europe at the time. We signed him and we played him, but it didn't work out. 

Dubravka was signed and the assumption was that he'd play the cup games (EL, FA, LC), but he only played a couple of league cup games. Properly pointless signing.

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Of all the money Man Utd have spunked the last 10 years, I don't think a back up keeper for 4 months can rank as pointless or rubbish like. 

All the money spunked in the last 10 years is completely irrelevant. 

Dubravka was a pointless signing, according to pretty much everyone. It made sense that we signed a decent keeper to play in the cups. If we were only going to play him in league cup games why pay a loan fee and wages at all instead of using Heaton and Bishop?

Romero averaged 10-20 games a season for us as a backup keeper. I think that was expected when we signed a backup with the ability of Dubravka.