Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

The Dubravka haters should be embarrassed after tonight. 

:lol: why? He's been shite for weeks, had a blinder today (but still conceded 4), one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

The Dubravka haters should be embarrassed after tonight. 

Why? He’s been crap for the most part since coming back. Then brilliant tonight. 

Single handedly stopped it being a Rugby League score and deserves all the praise coming his way tonight. Shame the rest of them let him down. Defence have been woeful and placid, again. 

Don't think anybody hates him just merely pointing out that he's a lot more inferior to Pope than many of us feared based on what many of us can see with our own eyes that he instills zero confidence and which is backed up by every parameter (results, goals against) other than one good game, which after a couple month is a pretty modest defence.

Edited by Jonas

16 hours ago, Pilko said:

:lol: why? He's been shite for weeks, had a blinder today (but still conceded 4), one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

How’s he been shite for weeks? One bad game away at Spurs - blame the people in front of him for the rest. Madness some of our fanbase.

7 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Made the saves you would expect. Flapped shots back into dangerous areas and got lucky. Fine for a backup but I really miss Pope.

Means little coming from you given your eternal vendetta but I do broadly agree in this case. He did extremely well keeping his composure in front of that onslaught but the only save which wasn't fairly routine was the one from Nunez in the first half. Pope is clearly an immense loss to our defence, despite Dubs probably having the edge on him in terms of distribution. 

Still, at least he isn't the absolute lost cause I thought he was a short while ago. 

Pope being out is making a really massive difference. It feels strange to say that after Dubs made a lot of good saves yesterday but... The defensive line doesn't know where to position itself when he's playing because he never comes off his line and they are second guessing themselves as a result. I've seen more of our defenders make mistakes when trying to keep a defensive/offside line in recent weeks (Burn, Trippier, Livramento, Botman all been guilty in the past couple of weeks alone) than I have in all the time Pope has played for us. Pope's aggressive sweeping and presence lets them play higher (+ crucially closer to the midfield line) and more confidently. 

IMO it's time we went out and got a similar keeper to Pope who isn't allergic to the ball at his feet. Seems harsh on Pope but this is the second time he's had this shoulder injury and that's a concern on top of his lack of ball playing ability. Don't ask me who we should get like, 'cause I've no idea. 

9 hours ago, David Edgar said:

Made the saves you would expect. Flapped shots back into dangerous areas and got lucky. Fine for a backup but I really miss Pope.

Didn't expect him to save the penalty, tbh.