Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Think he's not as good as he once was. The same will happen to Pope too. Might as well shop for a decent keeper with long term in mind too. Don't kmowmif Karius would do much worse than Dubs right now.

Edited by nufcjb

Its a problem having a keeper whether he's at fault or not that concedes so readily.  The effect that has on a keeper themselves and people around them drops performance levels.

Certainly effects me. Even though of course they wont he's now one of those keepers I expect the other team to score against with pretty much every chance they have and am pleasantly surprised when they don't where I gave Pope every chance of saving us.

Its not wise after the fact either. If we recall, a lot of us were talking about how backwards he seemed to have gone years back after his injury.

I don't think he was particularly at fault for any of the goals but then a first choice PL level goalkeeper possibly does something about one or two of them and he isn't that. 

Just yet another area where we've been shafted with injuries. 

There are issues all over the pitch including confidence,and he's not a bad keeper in the right system, but he doesn't really work too well in ours, I think.

He doesn't leave his line enough and sweep up danger like Pope does, leaving a gap between him and the defence for opposition players lurking on their shoulders to run into. Likewise, he doesn't command the box for corners or crosses in the same way.

He does have better distribution, but then we don't hold up the ball well higher up the pitch or play possession, so it comes straight back. We've typically played better forcing turnovers when the opposition have it and staging a rapid attack when we do and they're on the back foot.

You'd think he'd do far better in a team that stayed compact and sat back, launching accurate balls for counter-attacks which isn't really how we play.

3 hours ago, Upthemags said:

Hard to assess his performance with the back line he has protecting him

Not really. Keepers cant have blinders if the defence isn't being broken through, but they do, and its not like its chance after chance like Given at Wigan or Krul at Bournemouth/Spurs. There's arguably no better time to judge but its certainly not hard.

Edited by Jonas

Couldn't do a thing about the goals...still some idiots blame him :lol:

The defence, mainly Trippier are at fault for most goals he's conceded ffs. Trippier EIGHT alone this month.

Edited by Aiston

10 minutes ago, Aiston said:

The defence, mainly Trippier are at fault for most goals he's conceded ffs. Trippier EIGHT alone this month.

Both can be true, mind. The defence have been shit today and in recent games. But he is rooted to his line and looks so unsure with one on ones, never coming out convincingly and somehow makes himself smaller when trying to save the ball. 

In his defence. He has been brilliant at plucking some decent shot-cum-crosses out of the air when close to

him and when he’s diving and reaching for it.

But all that said. He is a big downgrade in every way, bar his kicking. 

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, toon25 said:

As someone said earlier, I just don't trust him.

That did, no tip side could manage without their first choice keeper for 5 months and expect results not to suffer

I don’t think the defence trust him either. Our defence has looked all over the place since Pope has been out.

23 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

I don’t think the defence trust him either. Our defence has looked all over the place since Pope has been out.

Not Dub's fault our defence is fucking everything up this month....how can he trust them ? :lol:

2 hours ago, Aiston said:

100% this for me - he’s the scapegoat - utterly insane blaming him for today and not the back four who were an absolute shambles in front of him. Mental.

The same back four we've had for a year and half that has served us great hasn't coincidentally imploded with the reintroduction of a keeper most of us accepted wasn't as good as he used to be before we loaned him out a year and half ago. That's way too much of a reach to at the absolute minimum, dismiss the counter arguement as insane.

The common consensus seemed to be that a new keeper wasn't a priority but when we saw the clip of Pope we held our hands up and said 'fair fucking do's'. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater, at the very least, Pope is the better of the two so obviously there's a downturn.

Edited by Jonas

• Our attacking and midfield press isnt right and half a yard off
  • Midfield suffers as a result as they have more work to do which they can’t deal with and were already playing a high risk/reward game
  • Defensive line is subsequently overexposed and struggling plus also losing confidence in themselves as a result 
  • Keeper isn’t as confident sweeping and being proactive compounding issues at the back.

The drop from Pope to Dubravka is biggish but not season defining but I’d be amazed if they’re not looking at David De Goth as a short term even though he suffers from many of the same deficiencies. 

4 hours ago, toon25 said:

As someone said earlier, I just don't trust him.

That did, no tip side could manage without their first choice keeper for 5 months and expect results not to suffer

The same year Schmiechel single handedly deprived us of the title when we cut their defence to shreads they got beat 3-0 off York City at Old Trafford with Kevin Pilkington in goal. It wasn't because Bruce, Pallister and Neville had turned to shit.

Dubs doesnt deserve comparison to Pilkinngton and he's served us well on the whole and that is an extreme example but it is an exaomple of the difference a keeper can make and how you're allowed to make saves after a defence has been beaten.

Edited by Jonas

14 minutes ago, Disco said:
  • Our attacking and midfield press isnt right and half a yard off
  • Midfield suffers as a result as they have more work to do which they can’t deal with and were already playing a high risk/reward game
  • Defensive line is subsequently overexposed and struggling plus also losing confidence in themselves as a result 
  • Keeper isn’t as confident sweeping and being proactive compounding issues at the back.

The drop from Pope to Dubravka is biggish but not season defining but I’d be amazed if they’re not looking at David De Goth as a short term even though he suffers from many of the same deficiencies. 

Endorse that.

As far as I've read nobody has made Dubravka a scapegoat. With Pope we probably still don't win today. There's a season and a half of evidence backing a marked improvement under Pope if opinions are being dismissed but there's no doubt were down a few perecent across the park which needs just as much attention.

Dismissing any part of our play as not needing improved at present isn't constructive, we did only score a penalty but that has to include a keeper that's conceded a shit ton more goals on average than the bloke he replaced otherwise were just scapegoating someone else.

Edited by Jonas