Quarter-finals: URU 0-2 FRA; BRA 1-2 BEL; SWE 0-2 ENG; RUS 2-2 CRO(p)

Greg

Want Croatia so they get the anger of being the ones who knocked out the hosts. But Russia for the romanticism of it.

Basically...I don't know :lol:

Either way, it's coming home.

:lol: Ugh.

Atleast you'll always be World Champions of American Football Mike :rose:

:lol: Smug t***s.

How many World Cup semi finals have USA been in Mike, huh, HUH?

:lol: One? I think?

Genuine chance of a Belgium - Croatia final :lol:

I mean, they're both obviously great teams. But at the same time they're not exactly glamorous. I'm uncertain if I love the prospect of the international version of an FA cup final between 'suped up versions of Wolverhampton and Derby or if I hate it.

I've played football since I was a child and I still do not understand why some teams do not put a player on the posts to clear balls like that on corners. Have someone there to clear the ball!

Because if there is a second phase, knock down etc. the player is always onside (unless the keepers gone flying out).

I've played football since I was a child and I still do not understand why some teams do not put a player on the posts to clear balls like that on corners. Have someone there to clear the ball!

Because if there is a second phase, knock down etc. the player is always onside (unless the keepers gone flying out).

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but does that mean that if the player receiving the ball is further forward than the keeper, but still behind the defender on the post, they're still offside? Does the keeper count as the "last defender" regardless of any defenders that are behind him?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but does that mean that if the player receiving the ball is further forward than the keeper, but still behind the defender on the post, they're still offside? Does the keeper count as the "last defender" regardless of any defenders that are behind him?

Needs to be 2 defending players between the attacker and the goal line. If the goalkeeper is further forward than the attacker then two defenders need to be between the attacker and goal line to not be offside

Needs to be 2 defending players between the attacker and the goal line. If the goalkeeper is further forward than the attacker then two defenders need to be between the attacker and goal line to not be offside

Wow ok, TIL. Thanks, didn't think I'd have more to learn about the offside rule at this point but there we go :lol:

I believe the rule is two players between the attacker and the goal for offside. There was a goal ruled out for offside in the 2010 World Cup on a corner when the keeper had come forward and only one man was behind him.

I understand the logic regarding the potential offside on a corner, but I feel you would prevent more goals by having an extra player to block any goalbound effort than worrying about positioning for the second phase.

This is the best World Cup since 90 imo.

Was 90 not shite in terms of actual quality football?

The Germans were outstanding especially early on. England's performance against Holland gave notice of what we had in terms of quality and Italy played some decent stuff too. Argentina kept spawning their way through and it was to all intents and purposes hard to say come the semis who would win . 1994 had some good games but it seemed Brazil were obvious winners from early on. But  I couldn't get into it. May be that was down to life  events at the time, in fact i know it was ?