Quarter-finals: URU 0-2 FRA; BRA 1-2 BEL; SWE 0-2 ENG; RUS 2-2 CRO(p)

Greg

Another interesting day of World Cup football.

France did what they did needed to do - and I was impressed with Belgium. They looked dangerous on the counter.

Going to be an intriguing semi-final.

Well, no surprise to some, my first was 1966. Looking back, I now wonder whether that victory was a double edged sword. It made us think we were better than we were, and put pressure and expectations on subsequent England teams that they couldn't live up to. Over the years, we've made progress in reducing the gap in technique between us and the rest, but that's process is still going on.

There is a different feeling about this England side, and I think it's because we've started off with modest expectations and aims which the team can grow from. That's a better momentum than thinking / hoping we're good and then coming down to earth with a bump.

Southgate's presence has probably helped, in that he didn't come with a big reputation in club football that he and others were hoping would be replicated. He seems immune to the bombardment of advice and criticism that comes with the job, and has been able to put the kind of protective cocoon around the team that helps the players to keep relaxed and focused. 

Well that, and the good luck of a relatively easy draw.  :D

Just to say as well, I think, at least up until this point, I think this may be my favourite World Cup since watching from '94 and a tiny bit of '90. At least from a footballing point of view anyway, because the feel of the '98 World Cup (and outside of the World Cup Euro '96) take some beating purely because of my age and obsession with football at the time.

‘94 being my first tournament and eye opener to the beauty of the WC and such teams as Colombia, Nigeria, Bulgaria, Romania, USA (:lol:) and players like Baggio, Stoichkov, Hagi, Romario and Lalas (:lol:) et al will always be my fave and most fondest, but this one ha surpassed any since and the quality has been better than ‘94 as well. ‘98 was the last time I felt a real connection with England and now it’s back, albeit because it’s the WC. No doubt after this I’ll lose interest for friendlies and qualifiers.

Sweden were a quality team in that tournament.

Brolin, Dahlin, Larsson, etc.

I love this World Cup. I haven't given this much of a shit about England since '98 and it's a strange feeling. So many good matches though, mind not being at work currently means I've been able to see almost all of it.

Neymar’s biggest contribution to this WC is memes/social media mockery :lol: Serves the twat right, bye. Hazzard and De Bruyne on the other hand  :smitten:

How do you misspell “Hazard” but get “De Bruyne” right? :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Neymar’s biggest contribution to this WC is memes/social media mockery :lol: Serves the twat right, bye. Hazzard and De Bruyne on the other hand  :smitten:

How do you misspell “Hazard” but get “De Bruyne” right? :lol:

Fuck knows :lol: