Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

1 minute ago, OhSholaAmeobi said:

Who thought that? I thought he was technically more capable than Diame and Hayden, which he was, and a good grafter.
Mark Noble level tops.

I'm pretty sure the consensus on here at the time was he was better than Rice or on at least on par. Might be mistaken though. Think it was around about the time we beat Man City in 2019 under Rafa.

20 minutes ago, Jordan said:

He’s infuriating. His passing is abysmal. Always pops up in great spaces and then fucks it. 

Well he's scored 6 goals tbf, that's not awful. He just isn't a good footballer aside from that.

Just now, TRon said:

Well he's scored 6 goals tbf, that's not awful. He just isn't a good footballer aside from that.

He's not a good footballer(at the level we are aiming) but he is a workhorse. Unfortunately though he's going g to be left behind where we are going (he knows it too). No need for anyone to slag him off, he's black and white through and gives his all

Just now, madras said:

He's not a good footballer(at the level we are aiming) but he is a workhorse. Unfortunately though he's going g to be left behind where we are going (he knows it too). No need for anyone to slag him off, he's black and white through and gives his all

Effort is the absolute minimum that should be required. If he is weak at something, address it. Use extra hours to train. The best players don't just stop after training and that's that, no they keep on even if everyone else go home. Im sorry but his passing, his positioning, his reaction time and his weakness 1v1 and finishing is something he could have worked on his all career, it just seems like he either don't know how to improve or the coaches on the training pitch don't know how to shape the players. I don't know what it is, but he is a bad player.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Agree, I wouldn't slag him off. Not sure if you are referring to my comments, I just gave him some credit for getting 6 goals and said what you did about him not being a very good footballer.

He's apparently been playing with a knock for a long time, which is testament to his attitude and love for the club. :thup: That said, he's been found wanting on a good few occasions this season. Perhaps Eddie should have taken him out of the firing line more, but felt unable to?

I'm far from a Longstaff hater - he''s a good squad option, but if the club is to progress - better players than him needed for the first XI.

My heart sinks when he misses like he did tonight. It’s criminal the amount of very good chances that come to nothing. For someone who isn’t great on the ball he could make up for it if he was a quality finisher but alas he’s not 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Agree, I wouldn't slag him off. Not sure if you are referring to my comments, I just gave him some credit for getting 6 goals and said what you did about him not being a very good footballer.

Probably not yours but the slaggings off he gets in general.

How many central midfielders do we reckon have had multiple games in a Premier League season where they haven't made a tackle, interception, block, or clearance?

I've legitimately never seen a central midfielder not be involved in a duel until tonight, either. Fucking pathetic, injury or not.

He's got 8 goals in all comps. It's a good return, shows genuine improvement on previous seasons. It's a skill in itself to keep getting chances even if you miss them.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

He's got 8 goals in all comps. It's a good return, shows genuine improvement on previous seasons. It's a skill in itself to keep getting chances even if you miss them.

His movement is the best part of his game in an attacking sense but we create a lot more chances than most sides and he’s the one on the end of a ton. I’d be interested to know what his xG is and how much he’s underperforming this season and previously. You cannot rely on him to score in positions where he should and that’s just not good enough even though his goal return isn’t awful on face value 

He just isn't very good. Can't be loyal to him because he's a Geordie and 'he's a great lad' or 'good in the dressing room' or whatever. He should not be starting the bulk of our league games next season. Against a shithole suburb of Ljubljana if we can manage to beat the team that's 16th away from home on Sunday, aye.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

How many central midfielders do we reckon have had multiple games in a Premier League season where they haven't made a tackle, interception, block, or clearance?

I've legitimately never seen a central midfielder not be involved in a duel until tonight, either. Fucking pathetic, injury or not.

Said it all season, he just hovers around the general area where the ball is without getting involved. He's just there in the background most of the time, when it does fall his way his control often lets him down.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

He plays the exact same way when 'injury-free' so I don't buy it either. Even if he doesn't have the ability at least be hard in the tackle like Anderson is.

I think a lot of his issues are upstairs, combined with carrying an injury. He never ever looks confident, or even happy on the pitch. When we score, he just looks flat, i've noticed it a lot this season. Not suggesting he doesn't care, just that he seems elsewhere mentally and has for some time. Can't dislike the lad but he's played far more games than he should have or would have expected to.

Perfect position, in lots of space, great angle to hit it low and across goal on his strong foot. And he just whacks it straight at Onana.

This is the one thing he needs to be able to do, as he typically strikes the ball pretty well. If he can't manage it then he has to be pushed way back in the midfield reckoning.

The falling over continues and the amazingly poor passes in great positions. 

It's just too much man. Please no more.

Just now, KaKa said:

Perfect position, in lots of space, great angle to hit it low and across goal on his strong foot. And he just whacks it straight at Onana.

This is the one thing he needs to be able to do, as he typically strikes the ball pretty well. If he can't manage it then he has to be pushed way back in the midfield reckoning.

Said earlier in the week - Maxence Caqueret

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Isn't the first paragraph Son the other day ?

Even  last season he had an issue missing seemingly g sitters...as did Willock and Joelinton.

15 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yeah it's mad. Really bad season, but scored more in one season than Ginola did in his Newcastle career. :lol:

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Eddie said in his last presser they’d been working on his finishing. :lol:

His finishing is much like his passing. Once he’s decided what he’s going to do 2/3 seconds have passed and it’s too late. He's not even looking by the time he’s shooting or playing that final pass. Doesn’t notice the covering player or the goalkeepers position.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Even  last season he had an issue missing seemingly g sitters...as did Willock and Joelinton.

Willock and Joelinton show flashes of real ability on the ball, that's the difference for me.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

Yes, it was Son the other day.

However, most of what Longstaff adds is so poor at this point, that he can't be fluffing such chances. No way. He doesn't have that luxury.