Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

17 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Eddie's harming him by not taking him out of the firing line, it's beyond a joke now. He's a decent squad player capable of contributing but he's being ran into the ground when he's lacking in form, confidence and I suspect full fitness.

Who is his direct replacement?

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

We have :lol: I'm not making it up FFS.

Anderson played an hour today and 71 mins against Everton on Tuesday, why couldn't those be from the start of the match instead of the bench?

We have 5 players available for 3 positions. 2 of them are just coming back from injury and 1 of them keeps breaking down and tbh also isn’t playing well.

I understand why Howe's playing Longstaff.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We have 5 players available for 3 positions. 2 of them are just coming back from injury and 1 of them keeps breaking down and tbh also isn’t playing well.

I understand why Howe's playing Longstaff.

By the way - I'm not suggesting he doesn't play Sean at all, I get that we aren't mega blessed with options, but I don't get why he hasn't taken the option to sit him down even once in the recent run where we've had a few bodies back. He's stood out as being incredibly poor and dipping him out even for one game might have helped, who knows.

4 minutes ago, Pilko said:

By the way - I'm not suggesting he doesn't play Sean at all, I get that we aren't mega blessed with options, but I don't get why he hasn't taken the option to sit him down even once in the recent run where we've had a few bodies back. He's stood out as being incredibly poor and dipping him out even for one game might have helped, who knows.

Actually hold on, it's 4 players for 3 positions. :lol:

I know Howe like him anyway, but I totally get why you wouldn't have a Bruno, Anderson, Willock midfield like. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I know Howe like him anyway, but I totally get why you wouldn't have a Bruno, Anderson, Willock midfield like. 

I completely understand why you'd not choose that too, but when you watch the midfield of late and the way various teams run through it at will anyway with Sean in there, I think you may as well lean into the end-to-end basketball match style and have three lads in there who can pass.

27 in October and I think 2 years left on his contract come the summer. It feels like it's now or never for him. We can't keep offering contracts to passengers. You know what your going to get from him week on week but where we want to be not I am sure that's good enough. 

For Longstaff, this has now been a full year of discomfort, far from ideal for someone whose game is based on ceaseless running. It is not just matches; it affects the day-to-day. “Sean needs to train regularly to get his best rhythm and that’s been disrupted,” Howe said.

“I’ll always put the team ahead of myself and people will either see that and appreciate it or they won’t,” says Longstaff 

Longstaff ploughs forward. “We played at Everton last April and I basically broke my foot,” he says. “I played in the last home game of the season (a draw with Leicester, which secured Champions League qualification), when it was still pretty much broken and then, because of that, it didn’t heal properly.

“We came back for pre-season and we bring Sandro in and it’s like … well, you don’t want to lose your spot in the team. I did lose it because I wasn’t fully fit and then went through a spell where it got better and I got back into the team and thought I was playing really well. Then I got injured again at Bournemouth in November.

“It was a 10-week ankle injury and I came back in four. It’s hard enough playing with one bad foot, but when you’ve got a left foot that’s sore and a right ankle that doesn’t move properly, it’s never going to be the easiest, especially at this level. It is what it is. I’ll always put the team ahead of myself and people will either see that and appreciate it or they won’t.”

Longtaff had an injection last month to keep playing, to keep running. West Ham on March 30 was “the first time in a while I’ve been excited to come and play, just because I know I wasn’t going to be in pain.”

Hope people bear the above in mind when giving him dogs abuse every week.

20 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Hope people bear the above in mind when giving him dogs abuse every week.

Cant train properly, risking further injury and poor performances effecting his fragile mental health. Should he even be playing? If needs must and all let’s just keep breaking players! 

Edited by PauloGeordio

On 06/04/2024 at 17:56, Kid Icarus said:

My guess as well is that he thought neither Willock or Anderson were ready to play 90 minutes yet, he did seem to be rotating them, so didn't want to start both with only one CM as a sub.

Just a reminder that a lot of people were happy when Longstaff came back start of the season as Tonali wasn't playing very well beyond his debut, and we saw a clear improvement in performance results.

Not saying Longstaff is the solution to our best XI, but fully fit he can be a valuable squad member with added benefit of being home grown for European competition.

7 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Just a reminder that a lot of people were happy when Longstaff came back start of the season as Tonali wasn't playing very well beyond his debut, and we saw a clear improvement in performance results.

Not saying Longstaff is the solution to our best XI, but fully fit he can be a valuable squad member with added benefit of being home grown for European competition.

Not even that but last season there was a period where it was universally accepted that he was the first name on the teamsheet behind Bruno due to his importance to the midfield.

Yet even though it has been obvious he is playing with multiple injuries for almost an entire season this somehow gets completely ignored when he is being slated consistently as if the period of form last season didn't exist.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He's the ideal candidate to be sold for FFP reasons as it's pure profit. I'll certainly be looking for him being gone this Summer, he's just not of the level we require. 

Almiron must be worth close to zero too, no? 

*insert obvious comment here*

I’ve been harsh on him this season. A lot of it is the same complaints as last season. Touch under pressure is poor, bad on the turn, unconvincingly dives and then sets teams on counters. Probably more I’ve given him shit for. I just generally don’t think he is a very good footballer. Even if he was a quality system player last season. 

I have said numerous times he is clearly pretty fucked, though. As all the good things he brought last season have gone. He doesn’t tackle or get about the pitch as well. Or even if he is getting about. He doesn’t put pressure on the ball and make challenges like last season. 

I didn’t think the injury would be quite so bad, mind. Or that it is actually two separate injuries. So it’s hardly surprising he’s looked so poor. Fair play to him for powering through. 

I haven’t looked back through. But I’m sure we did have a few times where we had options on the bench and possibly even to start. But he still played 90. That doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. As he has (understandably) consistently been one of our worst players for months. 

32 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Wow the harshness 

agree.

may or may not be good enough for us moving forwards, but the venom directed at him from some is insane.