Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

When you consider Palace payed only 18.5m for Wharton at 19,

I'd dare guess they won't have paid in full yet, he looked like Rodri compared to Longstaff, he could easily have signed for us. Clubs just aren't brave where others are, if you um and ahh about it other clubs will swoop in big or small, and snap these players up.

Palace have done well with both Wharton and Franca, Wharton being the obvious more ready and more suited to the English game and slotting in their side nicely, he looks very promising. 

Can't understand sometimes how we don't bid or get involved in some of these deals.

But continue to have dross on the books.

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

When you consider Palace payed only 18.5m for Wharton at 19,

I'd dare guess they won't have paid in full yet, he looked like Rodri compared to Longstaff, he could easily have signed for us. Clubs just aren't brave where others are, if you um and ahh about it other clubs will swoop in big or small, and snap these players up.

Palace have done well with both Wharton and Franca, Wharton being the obvious more ready and more suited to the English game and slotting in their side nicely, he looks very promising. 

Can't understand sometimes how we don't bid or get involved in some of these deals.

But continue to have dross on the books.

I forgot they had Franca. They have been awesome in the transfer market and getting Glasner. 

Maybe we should take their DOF?

2 minutes ago, TRC said:

I forgot they had Franca. They have been awesome in the transfer market and getting Glasner. 

Maybe we should take their DOF?

Well you need to look back to our dealings pre season, we could have gone in for Wharton in the same way we did for Lewis Hall since we've hardly used the lad.

Our recruitment in the summer could have been done a lot differently, don't get me wrong I rate Barnes and Livramento, but most of our signings were priced really high, with Hall still costing 30m, we're looking close to 170m on five players, Hall,Tino,Barnes,Tonali,Minteh.

Then there's these so called lesser/unproven players ready to be taken.

Obviously a database exists and lists with preferences to targets and what fits the managers needs, both Franca and Wharton were clearly down the pecking order, but you never know what your seasons going to deal you, I'd bet my right hand, knowing what Howe does now, he'd certainly have been keen on having one of those players here.

But, like they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing. ?

For Longstaff, this has now been a full year of discomfort, far from ideal for someone whose game is based on ceaseless running. It is not just matches; it affects the day-to-day. “Sean needs to train regularly to get his best rhythm and that’s been disrupted,” Howe said.

“I’ll always put the team ahead of myself and people will either see that and appreciate it or they won’t,” says Longstaff 

Longstaff ploughs forward. “We played at Everton last April and I basically broke my foot,” he says. “I played in the last home game of the season (a draw with Leicester, which secured Champions League qualification), when it was still pretty much broken and then, because of that, it didn’t heal properly.

“We came back for pre-season and we bring Sandro in and it’s like … well, you don’t want to lose your spot in the team. I did lose it because I wasn’t fully fit and then went through a spell where it got better and I got back into the team and thought I was playing really well. Then I got injured again at Bournemouth in November.

“It was a 10-week ankle injury and I came back in four. It’s hard enough playing with one bad foot, but when you’ve got a left foot that’s sore and a right ankle that doesn’t move properly, it’s never going to be the easiest, especially at this level. It is what it is. I’ll always put the team ahead of myself and people will either see that and appreciate it or they won’t.”

Longtaff had an injection last month to keep playing, to keep running. West Ham on March 30 was “the first time in a while I’ve been excited to come and play, just because I know I wasn’t going to be in pain.”

Just a timely reminder from several pages back. 

5 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

It'd be nice to get some clarification on his injury. Is his ankle still fucked? has it healed? 

Pretty sure it's still supposed to be fucked, along with his foot which apparently never fully recovered from Everton last season. Bigger question is whether they actually see these injuries repairing.

1 hour ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Was getting dogs abuse by "fans" in the Gallowgate today 

Not great hearing that, but if you keep losing possession, the groans are going to start getting louder. No need for dogs abuse though, that's not helping anyone.

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He's just so sloppy and careless, i am sure there is something wrong, god help him next week against a Burnley side fighting for their lives.

psychological.

I'm not totally convinced by the "playing through injury" excuse like. Obviously it might limit his work rate, but I'm not sure that it restricts his capability to pass the ball 10 yards, stay on his feet under pressure, or react at the speed of other players. I think he's a big confidence player, and when he isn't confident he hides off the ball and struggles on it, which is what we're seeing at the moment. 

It seems clubs toward the bottom end of the league are more willing to take a gamble.

Gyokeres is a prime example. A "big" Clun will end up paying £80 million for him because they didn't want to take the gamble at £20 million.

Speaking of which, Greaves at Hull would be a cracking signing.