Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

1 hour ago, Weezertron said:

Our fanbase always needs a whipping boy, unfortunately.

It's not that though, as a team we are getting better, but we aren't going to win titles until our squad is up there with the other CL contenders. The major difference right now is the first teamers like Longstaff and Willock. I would have said Almiron as well  a few months ago, but he looks genuinely dangerous these days. These lads all do sterling work with their running and aggression, but the final touch or finish is always just off.

Lets be honest if Longstaff added regular goals to his game we'd all be happy. His all round game is very good.

Are we expecting to be a gerrard or lampard - no. But havnt chances put on a plate for him and not converting them is annoying like.

I think someone mentioned the other day, he runs and runs but always seems half a second or so late to the press. I think he's the kind we could replace fairly easily, either with a like-for-like replacement, or someone who can play deeper to free up Bruno to play his role as he can do the same job pressing but with the extra quality on the ball and in the box.

57 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Shame his shooting has turned dreadful

WTF has happened to his shooting? He used to have quite a foot on him, remember a few good goals from long range.

He has been excellent getting in position lately, so I just hope he gets his finishing sorted out.

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Been absolutely integral these last few games; goal imminent me thinks.

I must have been watching a different game as I thought he was poor - vision -->none, passing-->poor, shooting-->well...

8 minutes ago, STM said:

Was about to say he's cut out the "getting caught dawdling" thing he used to do.

Was my biggest criticism of him, seemed to happen at least once a match in a dangerous position.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

Was about to say he's cut out the "getting caught dawdling" thing he used to do.

Probably a bit more confident, maybe a bit to do with Fulham not pressing as well as other teams (like Leeds did).

You can't fault his effort and he is fantastic off the ball.  But I'd be amazed if he is still about if we become a top 4 staple.  Unless there is major, sustained improvement.

I think the issue for me is it him the player or the position he is playing that is getting him involved so much and in dangerous areas. I think it's a mixture of both so can see why some see him as the unsung hero doing good things and others who say if we had someone of better quality in that role we would see more.

All these people saying he won’t be here when we’re top 4 are so forgetful. Serial title-winning Manure had no-skill grafters like John O’Shea, Wes Brown and Phil Neville regularly contributing amongst the stardust players. As far as I can see there’s still room in football for dedicated grafters with narrow focus, like Fred at Manure now. Longstaff’s here for the next 5 years at least in my book