Fabian Schär

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Again. That’s not what I’m arguing. 

What do you mean then, sorry?

"Ball at their feet there is no contest with Colo coming out on top."

Edited by Smal

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

Colo’s close control and technique was the best I’ve ever seen from a CB. Schär is obviously good on the ball too but his long passing can be a bit hit and miss, glorious ball played is often followed by one that’s nowhere near the target. 

Hope Schär has many years left on the top level, he’s been magnificent since the takeover.

Totally wasted under Bruce. Shame we couldn’t get those two years back for him.

Just now, Smal said:

What do you mean then, sorry?

"Ball at their feet there is no contest with Colo coming out on top."

Comfort on the ball. Dribbling passed forwards. Bring ball down in tight spaces. Playing out in tight spaces. Reading of the game and anticipation with cute nudges and interceptions and flicks of the ball whilst not having recovery pace. What I would describe as the small side of the game where your footballing ability needs to be at its highest. It was like he was playing futsal at times. Just natural footballing ability.

Long passing and aerially and physically Schär is better and has a greater goal threat but I said that in the op along with saying they both lack a yard of pace. Actually think Colo hid it better with his reading of the game maybe slightly better also. 

Love Schär but between them there’s only one I’m backing stuck in the corner flag surrounded by attackers.

I get what you're saying. Colo was a more "natural footballer". A better baller.

As a CB i'd take Schar though. But the different eras and managers is a massive difference. If we sold Schar under Bruce we'd say he couldn't play in a back 4, slow, relatively poor in the air etc.

A fully fit squad we're massive like. Schar is good in the air but he's not dominant. He'd struggle badly with Raylor LB, Mbiwa next to him with Anita & Colback in midfield.

Now we've got Joelinton, Burn who often get their heads on defensive set pieces. And less strikers that are aerially dominant.

Schar is our best ball playing CB we've ever had and I would counter argue that his long and short passing ability + his shooting/penalties add to that. Colo was a fantastic dribbler but don't recall him creating anything from his passing or carrying, there wasn't reverse passes like Botman or Schar, there wasn't aggressive diagonals etc. Colo the footballer, reader of game, etc clearly more easy on the eye but I don't really think he'd be able to handle some of today's footballers. 

JUST my opinion. :) 

On 25/09/2023 at 19:45, TheBrownBottle said:

Schar better than Woodgate?

Nowt like getting carried away after a big win :) 

Woodgate is still the best all round centre back I've ever seen playing for us. When he was fit and up and running, he had everything.

I like Coloccini as well, but he wasn't at that level. Still easily one of our best players during the Ashley era, although I guess that's not saying much. He might have come out second best to one or two strikers, but Schar has done the same. It's Botman who is the rock in our defence, when he's not there, Schar looks far less sure of himself.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Woodgate is still the best all round centre back I've ever seen playing for us. When he was fit and up and running, he had everything.

I like Coloccini as well, but he wasn't at that level. Still easily one of our best players during the Ashley era, although I guess that's not saying much. He might have come out second best to one or two strikers, but Schar has done the same. It's Botman who is the rock in our defence, when he's not there, Schar looks far less sure of himself.

Got to say Botman is up there with Woodgate.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

All 28 games of it. It’s a real shame he didn’t play more for us as he was absolute mustard, but that amount of games is shocking. Genuinely think it paints a better picture of him (Woodgate) due to the amount of games he didn’t play…whilst Botman has racked up 50 already.

Schar is great but Botman is head and shoulders (literally and physically) above Schar. And they quite clearly work very very well together. 

We need an understudy to Schar in this Jan/Summer window that’s for sure. 

Just now, mattypnufc said:

All 28 games of it. It’s a real shame he didn’t play more for us as he was absolute mustard, but that amount of games is shocking. Genuinely think it paints a better picture of him (Woodgate) due to the amount of games he didn’t play…whilst Botman has racked up 50 already.

Schar is great but Botman is head and shoulders (literally and physically) above Schar. And they quite clearly work very very well together. 

We need an understudy to Schar in this Jan/Summer window that’s for sure. 

Not going to disagree with any of that, Woodgate was useless for us for vast periods of his time here, but when he was there he took us to the champions league, and we got some pretty great results against some mighty European teams on the back of his class. He was probably the only defender who could make Titus Bramble look like a champion.

Appreciate that the game has changed, but for some reason Woodgate's performance in that game v. Marseilles in 2004 (which ended 0-0 but he kept Drogba in his pocket) will always be one of the best CB showings I've ever seen.

19 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Appreciate that the game has changed, but for some reason Woodgate's performance in that game v. Marseilles in 2004 (which ended 0-0 but he kept Drogba in his pocket) will always be one of the best CB showings I've ever seen.

He was shit. Drogba ran him ragged you haven’t a clue what you’re going on about

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Nice little clip show some of Colo’s game. Think surround by this defence and midfield he’d have no problems at all.

Does it omit the dozen or so times we lost 4-0+ when he threw the towel in? I liked Colo a lot for a while but post 2013 he was garbage. An easy mark CB.

On 26/09/2023 at 22:58, TRon said:

Not going to disagree with any of that, Woodgate was useless for us for vast periods of his time here, but when he was there he took us to the champions league, and we got some pretty great results against some mighty European teams on the back of his class. He was probably the only defender who could make Titus Bramble look like a champion.

Apart from when we lost 2-6 man utd. That was a bad day at the office for both of them. Bramble obviously more common